Dragon Age Origins

Gorth

I will spare you another acerbic episode because you joined about five minutes ago and presumably have better things to do than read all my old posts :*

Um, first, I meant those two "acerbic episodes" you just had about the weapons

Second, if you really just said that because you have been a member here for 5 years you are somehow above me, I think I have to go outside and laugh. Hard.

Go and walk into a bar, sit in the pub bore's favourite chair he's been sat in since forever and start telling him to calm down.

Get over yourself.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I don't mind if it's dark and gritty, but can I bathe at least? I don't like grit between my toes.

About the large weapons, I dislike them also. The thing is, these huge ass weapons are so common in games these days that I don't see any difference will be in ignoring them while paying DA as opposed to WoW or other games. Looks kind of cartoony, I'll grant you.

fantasy crpg weapons has always been oversized. am still trying to imagine how peoples could wield a bg1/bg2 warhammer. even so, there is a point where weapon size becomes cartoonish... seems out of place if you is promoting dark and mature. wanna impress us with dark and mature while we sees a character swinging 'round a 50lb sword? is getting as bad as those jrpg and anime weapons we has seen.

big weapons? yeah, is a minor annoyance. weapons that would be near impossible to lift, much less wield? is cartoonish... which is fine if you is going for a cartoonish look and feel. do WoW with the bright vibrant colors and impossible proportions and the comic book look? good, but the ridiculous big weapons and armours just not seem congruous with the rest o' the aesthetic.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

What Bioware means by dark and mature is "We have weird romance/sex and dirt everywhere".

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Even I won't beat up on them for the bowstring animations - a lot of resources for very limited returns visually. Mind you, to nock an arrow on one of those bows you'd need inch thick tungsten rope anyhoo :teehee:

It's a problem of escalation, they need the giant arrows to get through the oversized armor.

However, they were relatively thin, cut across the heart of a Southern European wood (typically Yew from Sicily or some other sunny place) from one piece of wood.

When not in use they were unstrung. Arrows were hand-crafter from silk and goose feathers with a variety of heads based on the killing task (bodkins for armour). I'm always surprised that arrows are so cheap in RPGs, realism notwithstanding. The RoF of longbowmen was agreeably high - the 5000 odd archers at Agincourt allegedly achieved 75,000 arrows a minute. This was their real advantage - the crossbow had better range and penetration but was painfully slow.

Ranged weapons (& all weapons for that matter) are quite realistic in Drakensang - you can craft bows & arrows from yew/elm wood, goose feathers & wood glue. Crossbows are more powerful than longbows/shortbows, but take a long time to load. There are also special archer skills like "marksman" & "master marksman" that allow to penetrate arrow & inflict wounds on enemies.

Does DA:O have any crafting?

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

^ I'm not sure about crafting.

As for crossbows, actually when you think about it they're useless in a small unit context, a bit like black powder weapons. You fire them as an opening volley then... that's it, you ain't ever going to get the opportunity to use it again in any meaningful way. Let's hope you hit that target! An archer can plink happily away as long as he's got arrows and some guys keeping melee fighters away from him. Like I said, it's all about Rate of Fire.

In a big unit, as in a long line of trained Genoese hiding behind the palise? Yep, crossbows make a lot of sense, but a CRPG is invariably small unit tactics.

I'd make crossbows (a) really slow to load but (b) powerful. Characters would have to use them tactically, i.e. an opening and carefully planned salvo then dump them and go to melee combat. But that's just me.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Crossbows actually penetrated armor and didn't need years of training, that's why they became the norm.

Absolutely, in armies. I'm sure someone can enlighten us about the Papal decree banning them because they made it possible for a lowly peasant to take out a high-born knight clad in thousands of florins worth of Milanese plate.

But we're talking about small unit tactics. Where they are pretty useless as a missile weapon.

sonsofgygax.JPG

DA is not real nor is it Medival Earth. It doens't have to follow our silly perceptions of the weapon size. More importantly, it's such a minor thing either way. Why do people care so much? If I'm gonna whine about DA I'm going to point how lame mana - espicially regenerating mana - is. At least that has to do with actual gameplay.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'd take an army of English Longbowmen or an army of Mongol horsebowmen over an army of crossbowmen any day. Crossbows have their advantages, but let's not forget the instances where the two armies met and the longbow clearly outdid the crossbow. That English runt, sharpening his bodkin head arrow on the steps of the local church was a fearsome person to face on the battlefield. That little bastard was strong and the vast majority of us here on this message board would have little chance of drawing his bow. Many of us would undoubtedly injure ourselves trying.

*shrug* Let's have a good natured fight over bow vs crossbow. It's been a while. :teehee: