Dragon Age Origins

Gorth

My criticisms are entirely valid. If you look beyond your general distaste for me, you'll see that they all hinge more or less on art direction.

A fantasy game works by helping us suspend our disbelief - art direction helps achieve that. It makes us look at say... Sigil (good example) and go "Wow, that's so wierd and cool" not "look at that huge statue lady - that couldn't happen." Elminster on the other hand is a classic example of hokey art direction that makes me reach for my revolver. It destroys my suspension of disbelief.

That's my line - and the Dalish Elves look like lincoln-green clad extras from Errol Flynn's Robin Hood, except armed with hilarious Manga bows. I'm not remotely interested in a Medieval life simulator or realistic weapons. I am interested in good art direction.

sonsofgygax.JPG

^ Not as awful as the City Elf origin, but still a bit.... meh.

The dalish elf origin is about as boring and generic as can be.

Boring yes, generic?

Even if you think it's a complete Braveheart rip off, 'human noble comes to have his way with the bride' is far more compelling than 'it's a magic mirror.'

That should of been the Human noble origin too.

You're an elf. You quest to find a magic mirror. You pass out and wake up with strong, manly Duncan cradling you in his arms.

I think I'm going to get nightmares tonight.

Someone has a dirty mind. :)

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

That's my line - and the Dalish Elves look like lincoln-green clad extras from Errol Flynn's Robin Hood, except armed with hilarious Manga bows. I'm not remotely interested in a Medieval life simulator or realistic weapons. I am interested in good art direction.

Here comes the matter of taste. Okay, you don't like the art in DA. That doesn't make it universally bad, you know?

Someone has a dirty mind. :)

Yeah, Maria is one naughty girl.

Are Baldur's Gate weapon sizes really that in line with reality? Or are the characters just so small you can't really notice it?

Seriously MC (and even Purkake), is there anything about the game that you are looking forward to? Or are you going to be like some of the jaded Fallout fans that buy/play Fallout 3 just so they can rip on it and confirm to themselves on how sucky it really is?

Edited by alanschu

I don't mind if it's dark and gritty, but can I bathe at least? I don't like grit between my toes.

About the large weapons, I dislike them also. The thing is, these huge ass weapons are so common in games these days that I don't see any difference will be in ignoring them while paying DA as opposed to WoW or other games. Looks kind of cartoony, I'll grant you.

Here comes the matter of taste. Okay, you don't like the art in DA. That doesn't make it universally bad, you know?

:: Sigh ::

I don't like some of the art direction. I've been positive about other aspects. I like the spell animations, the war-dogs, some of the monsters and the building architcture. Heck, zoomed out, I really like the top-down view and GUI as well as the character arbitration screens. I like some of the other origins and have said so on this and other DA threads. For every time I've had a go at Dave Gaider I've also trumpeted one of his (bountifully numerousd) good points I've observed over the years. Get a grip and read what others are posting and put it into context.

However, the bits of DA I hate, I really hate. They deserve juxtaposition with the hype. I've said it before, but will reiterate, is this a "We all uncritically love Dragon Age" thread? These forums aren't a knitting circle, they are agreeably robust. When a moderator informs me that I've broken some unwritten rule that you can't monster the bits of a game you don't like then I'll desist, put on my kevlar and go someplace else (probably the...shudder... Codex).

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Are Baldur's Gate weapon sizes really that in line with reality? Or are the characters just so small you can't really notice it?

Does it matter? As long as it doesn't take me out of the game, it doesn't matter how they achieve it.

Also BG's weapons were totally fine compared to DA's:

baldurs2_790screen005.jpg

920668_20090828_790screen007.jpg

Edited by Purkake

Sadly, the BG2 morning stars always looked like a Puffer Fish on a stick. The rest of the weapons were fairly well scaled, even halberds.

Daggers were tiny, look at the NWN2 ones which are huge with unfeasibly spikey guards and hilts.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

:: Sigh ::

Rantrantrant

Cool down man, criticizm is always welcome, but your angry rants aren't the best way to do that. I atleast get the feeling you want to scale down the weapons in DA just because you don't like them. Like I said before, even I don't like the size of them, but I'm pretty certain I won't even notice it in game after the first hour.

I never found Left 4 Dead an especially scary game. On the other hand, I'd hate to be in a pick-up game with an eight-year-old.

I caught this post by Chris Priestly the other day about the PC delay.

Posted 09/02/09 03:02 (GMT) by Chris Priestly

You're waiting because it isn't done yet. :)

Interesting fact, by polishing the PC version and shipping it with the 360 version, we have added an additional 65 quests into the game for the PC and console versions.

So be patient and wait. It is coming as soon as it is ready.

:evil:

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I'm not surprised the CE is a sell-out, the game is going to be a huge commercial success. It will shift units by the bucketload.

Off-topic: I saw a responsible parent preordering left4dead 2 for his son who didn't look a day over eight years old.

I guess Zombies ain't as scary as they used to be. I've taught my kid that the age restrictions on games are sacrosanct, I know it won't last but at the moment he knows that he's not allowed games with an age restriction on unless it's on the grounds of complexity (i.e. Lego - if he wants to try and build the tough stuff then let him try mwuahahhahahaaa!!!).

sonsofgygax.JPG

Cool down man, criticizm is always welcome, but your angry rants aren't the best way to do that.

I don't rant, I am agreeably acerbic.

I will spare you another acerbic episode because you joined about five minutes ago and presumably have better things to do than read all my old posts :)

sonsofgygax.JPG

I will spare you another acerbic episode because you joined about five minutes ago and presumably have better things to do than read all my old posts :*

Um, first, I meant those two "acerbic episodes" you just had about the weapons

Second, if you really just said that because you have been a member here for 5 years you are somehow above me, I think I have to go outside and laugh. Hard.

^ Yep, longbow = approx 6'.

However, they were relatively thin, cut across the heart of a Southern European wood (typically Yew from Sicily or some other sunny place) from one piece of wood.

When not in use they were unstrung. Arrows were hand-crafter from silk and goose feathers with a variety of heads based on the killing task (bodkins for armour). I'm always surprised that arrows are so cheap in RPGs, realism notwithstanding. The RoF of longbowmen was agreeably high - the 5000 odd archers at Agincourt allegedly achieved 75,000 arrows a minute. This was their real advantage - the crossbow had better range and penetration but was painfully slow.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG