Dragon Age

Gorth

Today, devs. have a chance to actually teach gamers how to play the games as in the tutorials found in Mass Effect, Oblivon and Fallout 3; basically they introduce you to the world while they also introduce you to the combat system and how you move etc. People these days want to jump into playing right away. They don't (most of them anyway) want to read a lot before they're able to play game.

And this gives us the schizm or contrast or dichotomy between the gameplay and the narrative someone described earlier in this thread. Simply because the way the narrative (story) is told sets it apart from the gameplay. Character progess do not make it into the story nor do dialogue matter much in terms of the narrative. In short: In order to sell the millions of games required today the gameplay and the narrative need to be somewhat apart or in conflict with each other.

Dragon Age: Orgins to me sounds like it trying to bind them together again; you can kill your comrades, dialogues and actions matter in the game, characters will leave, if they do not agree with you, the origin stories seem to tie in with the game, too - many more times than we have been used to seeing in games these days

If Bioware are trying this then more power to them and I'll happily eat a whole crow pie with crow-flavoured gravy if they do. Remember, though, we are told (ad nauseum) that choices, actions, multiple endings, re-playability (etc) are not as important anymore. Why? 'Cuz the mythical Joe Gamer will only play the game once, will in all probability never actually finish it yet will feel cheated that he didn't actually get to see everything in it.

I don't buy this argument, but hey, I don't work in the marketing department of a major computer entertainment company. So if Bio are swimming against the Tsunami of alleged gamer attention-deficit then maybe I'm being too harsh on them. I don't think so, but we'll see.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I really have troiuble understanding why no one cares about these things.

In my particular case, it's Harper's Fatigue. Have been harping on the increasingly wide fracture between gameplay (combat/puzzles/exploring) and story (dialogue) for years now.... albeit quietly and only intermittently at best.

At this point, having been told so often that "it's just a game" and that "group death is a valid way of representing an individual; NPCs aren't people", I'm not looking at DA:O as anything other than a party-based game. Bio's not going to compromise their idea of what's fun for the sake of the story (I draw a distinction between plot and story, note: I don't consider Bio games story-driven so much as plot-driven; too many story elements have been compromised for me to consider the experience as a whole as "story". Bio's story == dialogue). If they can deliver on that front, I'll call the game a success.

I've really missed party-based games (by which I mean me controlling the characters in the party). The story might lack a certain presentational quality, but... I'm not going to bother arguing the point any more. Bio knows what they're doing. And many people like it.

I prefer all-or-nothing death. Winning the fight, but reloading anyways because one person died isn't fun, nor am I willing to go the rest of the game without a companion I like. I don't find combat that compelling that I think it should dominate gameplay considerations.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

So if Bio are swimming against the Tsunami of alleged gamer attention-deficit then maybe I'm being too harsh on them. I don't think so, but we'll see.

IMO Bioware is just doing that. I mean it might have been more cost effective for EA to have 10 hour game with little or no choices. Unknown in that case would be the older Bioware game fans, who might turn into army of disgrunded fanboys and then word of the mouth could kill that game no matter how good it would be otherwise. Call of Duty is allowed to be short and fast game but none has really tested the grounds with CRPGs.

Both Baldur's Gate games sold really good. Actually when looking how much average AAA game cost to develop back then, sales were absolutely monsterious. I just read today that 2009 have had horrible game sale numbers. Gamasutra writes only few games over all three consoles have managed to top million sold games. PC numbers are really hard to track these days as many are sold on Steam or similar system or are MMOGs.

Back to Baldur's Gate. Some sources estimate that both games sold over two million copies (I only found references on various messageboards, not actual data or news articles). Those kind of numbers would be damn nice even today. Highest selling PS3 game this year, Killzone 2, is said to have only sold 750.000 units. Question is - How many players who bought Baldur's Gate back in the day still play and have roughly the same taste in games? And how many new potential players could enjoy Baldur's Gate (ie not require actual game to be dumbed down or significantly changed). Dragon Age might be ok litmus test but being true in all ways to Baldur's Gate would have been even better.

Edited by Niten_Ryu

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

"Remember, though, we are told (ad nauseum) that choices, actions, multiple endings, re-playability (etc) are not as important anymore."

Anymore? This has ALWAYS been true. It's also true that most people who *do* replay games don't do because of 'multiple choices', 'multiple endings' or those other RPG buzzwords people spout they claim enhances replayability. The #1 reason people*do* replay games is fun. Plain, and simple.

P.S. Mind you, those RPG buzzwords can, if used properly *can* increase one's fun with a game.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I prefer all-or-nothing death. Winning the fight, but reloading anyways because one person died isn't fun, nor am I willing to go the rest of the game without a companion I like. I don't find combat that compelling that I think it should dominate gameplay considerations.

And there, you see, is the rub. Because I'm the polar opposite, I find combat compelling and think it should be central to gameplay considerations. I'd rather have excellent, crunchy tactical combat than uber-complex NPCs (beginning to see why Torment was my idea of, well, torment?).

Of course, there's nothing wrong with either preference unless you are a games designer, where you will try to accommodate both camps. I'm pretty easily assauged by difficulty sliders and options - there's no reason why Maria can't have her all-party-die mechanic and I can have main character dies and it's all over mechanic. Losing a key NPC can make a game even more rewarding. I know it sounds obtuse, but it can be. The first time I played BG2-ToB and fought Demogorgon I lost Minsc. Minsc by this time was my primary melee character, had bags of experience and was a pivotal part of my party. But he perma-died, gibbed by the arch-demon. His portrait disappeared forever.

I'd won the battle, though, and wow it was tough. I thought about it decided to accept the loss and carry on. It made the game more challenging, I had to develop a new NPC to fit that role and so on. It made the battle more meaningful, and the overall game more immersive. I accept that I'm in a minority there, but it shows how we all look at gameplay mechanics very differently.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

The first time I played BG2-ToB and fought Demogorgon I lost Minsc. Minsc by this time was my primary melee character, had bags of experience and was a pivotal part of my party. But he perma-died, gibbed by the arch-demon. His portrait disappeared forever.

I'd won the battle, though, and wow it was tough. I thought about it decided to accept the loss and carry on. It made the game more challenging, I had to develop a new NPC to fit that role and so on. It made the battle more meaningful, and the overall game more immersive.

****in' A.

A shame that chunking couldn't be solved by Wish + Resurrection, though.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

A new look at the dwarven commoner origin. Spoilers Ahoy!

Yay for selling your sister.

Yaah...

This game just got interesting again - and I mean that in every possible positive meaning of the word...

At last, Bioware shows us what it means to be a common dwarf; apparently it is cross between 'I've got an offer you can't refuse' and the Indian society 200 years ago...

so

yaah.... :verymad:

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"