Dragon Age

Gorth

Ed Zitron is not with Eurogamer. He's a freelancer. Not that I have any idea what this has to do with Dragon Age.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Ed Zitron is not with Eurogamer. He's a freelancer. Not that I have any idea what this has to do with Dragon Age.

With DA nothing, with EG.net credibility a lot :sorcerer:

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Finally a detailed, unbiased preview looking at all aspects of the game (save storyline).

"Clubbing a nice magical old lady into the ground is bad enough in any circumstances, but when Wynne finally expires, we're immediately shown a brief film detailing her potential impact on the rest of the game - what the world could have looked like, in other words, if we hadn't just put our enchanted shoe through her head."

This seems a bit odd. It reminds me of Morrowind's "Reload a saved game or persist in this doomed world" ominous message after killing essential NPCs.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Finally a detailed, unbiased preview looking at all aspects of the game (save storyline).

"Clubbing a nice magical old lady into the ground is bad enough in any circumstances, but when Wynne finally expires, we're immediately shown a brief film detailing her potential impact on the rest of the game - what the world could have looked like, in other words, if we hadn't just put our enchanted shoe through her head."

This seems a bit odd. It reminds me of Morrowind's "Reload a saved game or persist in this doomed world" ominous message after killing essential NPCs.

It is something that i can live with in a game, however, I do not like the fact that a game contains videos of "what-if"-scenarios. It simply adds another layer of abstraction to the game, which i find a bit irritating. Each game is an experience in itself, adding "this is how it could have been!"-messages dimishes this experience.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Guest PoziomyPion

Thats actually interesting, I don't know what to think sbout this game anymore, once it seems embarrasingly bad, other times it seems to be interesting. Well, gotta play it myself and then hate it or love it I guess.

Could you provide a link?

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

To me, it reminds me of how this is done in The Witcher - at various points in the game, you get to see these what if scenerios. Looks interesting.

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

To me, it reminds me of how this is done in The Witcher - at various points in the game, you get to see these what if scenerios. Looks interesting.

Well, if it is done like in the Witcher with the oil painting cutscenes, then I can see nothing wrong with it.

I do not mind killing off potentially recruitable NPCs. If it's possible, I'm definitely going to kill that over-hyped scarecrow Morrigan.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

It's seamlessly done: small choices making invisible ripples that spread throughout the narrative, often causing the unlikeliest of consequences. But the real kicker comes at the end of the presentation when we realise what we've been shown: two or three decisions, some made early on in the game, some playing out in conversations, significantly impacting just 10 minutes of gameplay, in a game that eventually clocks in at about 60 hours. The potential is staggering.

Two PCs and two monitors is an effective way for the developer to make a point, but perhaps it's also a sign of nervousness on the part of BioWare - a move suggesting that the team isn't sure people have quite clicked with the property yet, confused by the muddle of sex and violence that's been shown so far, or unsure of what to make of the game's unusually dark take on fantasy.

That was a very helpful article, kudos to the author.

I've highlighted an interesting point, something I've been banging on about for a while. Bio unleashed the marketing monster then had to do damage limitation.

As for the 'consequences' thing, well I'm not a writer but I understand the concept of 'show don't tell.' Consequences should be relayed to us subtly, maybe a comment from a third party, a letter here, an empty room there. Clues. And if some people miss them, then it's no biggie.

All in all, an emollient review.

sonsofgygax.JPG

This is very interesting to me as Ive never played another game that does this. I wonder how this will impact the designers wishes to prevent creep-saving. It doesnt take a huge leap of logic to determine that maybe you should save before every battle with a "named" NPC because you will be immediately shown the result of the other choice, which may be better. I know devs cant save players from themselves but it just seems to break the flow of "choices and consequences" when you see the "consequence" of your "choice" right after making it.

^ I take your point, but sometimes gamers need to bite the bullet and play the game. Hey, the developer can lead a horse to water...

And, if some people want to creep-save and that makes them happy then why not?

I'm being a bit of a hippy today, I might go and have a drink.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

^ I take your point, but sometimes gamers need to bite the bullet and play the game. Hey, the developer can lead a horse to water...

And, if some people want to creep-save and that makes them happy then why not?

I'm being a bit of a hippy today, I might go and have a drink.

Cheers

MC

I agree, let the player play how they want to, it just seems like a strange departure from their intentions. I dont understand what immediately revealing the results of a choice brings to a game focused on "choices and consequences". Granted, Im a munchkin first and a role player second but if Im presented with a choice and one choice gets me a great reward while the other choice gets me a spear to the taint, Im reloading.

I agree that this is actually a great sign. I think Witcher did it well and it seems that Dragon Age is putting their own twist on it. While I liked Witcher, I'm hoping for more interesting combat with better controls. To be clear, I despise the pathing and clunky movement and controls in Witcher. The game was wonderful, but that really detracted from my experience. If DA gives us a chance to see consequences unfold throughout the game, and not just in immediate consequences, I'll be quite happy.

I've highlighted an interesting point, something I've been banging on about for a while. Bio unleashed the marketing monster then had to do damage limitation.

Confirmation bias.

I could just as easily see it as "Bioware did their big show and tell during the E3 to build up hype and get exposure for the game."

Edited by alanschu

I like Ray M, I really do. He always comes across well and that was a good interview.

BUT.

[pedant]Ray, it's not "Mealie". It's Mel-ay (imagine an accent on the second 'e' of melee).[/pedant]

Sorry, it's a pet hate. You may return to normal service. Shucks, it ain't like they don't have French speakers in Canada!

sonsofgygax.JPG