What are you playing now?

Gorth

Riven

I still haven't gotten around to beating that game. I almost managed it one time, but then I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do and did something stupid and ended up trapping myself. :o

The joys of the message board is not everyone is on at the same time as you. If you're always hoping for immediate responses to the posts that you make, you're bound to be disappointed.

I dont expect immediate responses ever, if it were like that, then I would be Barak Obama or Michael Jackson or whoever.

deicideLogo5.jpg

Riven

I still haven't gotten around to beating that game. I almost managed it one time, but then I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do and did something stupid and ended up trapping myself. :o

Hmmm...

I believe there's only one place where you can trap yourself. It's when the older man asks you to step into the book and you don't. Is that what happened?

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Ah, Riven. First time I played it, I got stuck at that big grid puzzle Maria mentions in her blog (which is a good read, by the way). I had the grid mapped perfectly and the marbles placed correctly, but I was expecting some sort of reaction once the last correct marble was placed, and never noticed the "check input" button that is on the screen just prior to the zoomed-in grid manipulation. I remember getting quite angry at what I thought was rather shoddy design-- punishing the user for not noticing a button on a transitional screen. But in retrospect, I was probably expecting too much of a game that clearly delights in making the player search locations for hours because they forgot the golden rule of "always look behind the door you came in."

Continuing the adventure game theme, I'm still pushing through The Longest Journey. Just entered the village of the bat-people. So far it's been a worthwhile experience, but a bit drawn-out for my tastes. The stuff I've found most interesting-- the tidbits about the heroine's background and life back home-- have been too few and far between. The bit in the mole-people barrow where the "angry April" spirit was berating April for being too weak and running away from her problems by leaving home was fantastic, and renewed my somewhat-flagging interest in the storyline. Hopefully, as the game goes on, I'll see more of that kind of revelation and comparatively less of the long expository dialogue and time spent watching April's clubfooted jogging across transitional areas.

I am tiring a bit of linear adventure game gameplay, though. The feeling that my input doesn't really matter much (other than to fumble about until I arrive at the solution the game wants me to find) is starting to get to me. At least Riven was a bit more open of a world-- there was a lot of flexibility in the order you took on the puzzles, which helped give the illusion of more player choice. I might take a break into something else before I get around to finishing, but I do intend to finish it.

Edited by Enoch

I love Myst III: Exile since that one has Brad Dourif in it. I only played Riven through once, ten years ago or so... when I tried playing it again on XP, I couldn't get it to work anymore so I sold it. *shrug*

A pretty remarkable first person adventure game/Myst clone is "Amerzone", to whom there are a few references in Syberia (Amerzone cuckoo, etc). It's very short & very easy, but very atmospheric and memorable, like all Sokal adventure games.

I am tiring a bit of linear adventure game gameplay, though. The feeling that my input doesn't really matter much (other than to fumble about until I arrive at the solution the game wants me to find) is starting to get to me. At least Riven was a bit more open of a world-- there was a lot of flexibility in the order you took on the puzzles, which helped give the illusion of more player choice. I might take a break into something else before I get around to finishing, but I do intend to finish it.

The game really picks up again after Chapter 8. :facepalm:

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Riven

I still haven't gotten around to beating that game. I almost managed it one time, but then I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do and did something stupid and ended up trapping myself. :thumbsup:

Hmmm...

I believe there's only one place where you can trap yourself. It's when the older man asks you to step into the book and you don't. Is that what happened?

No it's actually right after that. You go in, you come out and then the book is left on the desk. I clicked it again not realizing which book it was and got trapped.

No it's actually right after that. You go in, you come out and then the book is left on the desk. I clicked it again not realizing which book it was and got trapped.

Would you like me to send you a save file right after that?

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Would you like me to send you a save file right after that?

Nah, it's okay. It's been been 8-10 years or so since I've played the game and I've probably forgotten half of the story anyway. I still have to go finish the rest of the series anyway.

I've been playing Professor Layton and the Curious Village on my DS, and it is absolutely delightful.

Good God, man! You took your nintendo on the trip? You're supposed to spend your nights getting drunk and looking at the stars! I'm close to finishing Max Payne 2. Awesome. Thanks, Purkake, for inspiring me to get the bundle.

TOEE "vanilla" just killed Lareth. Games too easy the without Co8 patch.

BG - F/M/T currently at the Lighthouse. Firewine ruins were pretty easy, died once from a lightning bolt trap because I got lazy, pathfinding was no problem since I was solo. What amazes me about this game is how well balanced it is. Party of 6 is as challenging as a solo run.

Firewine ruins were pretty easy...

The only part of the game where I actually dismissed all my party members and left them outside, finished the level solo then picked them back up again.

I had a melee-orientated dual-class Ftr/ Thf, it's actually not that bad if you used the old stealth-and-run cheese.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

You might remember it, the dungeon underneath a big mauve bridge near the Halfling Village. Very narrow tunnels / corridors and the pathfinding was atrocious. I mean epic-level awfulness.

You had to navigate each character individually around tight spots. Add a number of 'Kobold Kommandoes' (am still amused by notion of small reptilitan creatures having special forces unit) armed with fire arrows lurking in packs everywhere and you have a veritable festival or re-loading, wailing and gnashing of teeth.

sonsofgygax.JPG

BG - F/M/T currently at the Lighthouse. Firewine ruins were pretty easy, died once from a lightning bolt trap because I got lazy, pathfinding was no problem since I was solo. What amazes me about this game is how well balanced it is. Party of 6 is as challenging as a solo run.
The mid-level content is well balanced and fun to play solo, but if you have a level cap in place, you'll be hitting it pretty soon. And then parts of the endgame can be hairy, especially those involving mages. In BG2, solo FMT/FMCs are so ridiculously overpowered that the only thing one needs to worry about is getting mazed or imprisoned - but then there's the Slayer.

I think solo'ing is the most boring way of playing these games, not least because of the increased force-reload factor. But if you've tried everything else...

You might remember it, the dungeon underneath a big mauve bridge near the Halfling Village. Very narrow tunnels / corridors and the pathfinding was atrocious. I mean epic-level awfulness.

You had to navigate each character individually around tight spots. Add a number of 'Kobold Kommandoes' (am still amused by notion of small reptilitan creatures having special forces unit) armed with fire arrows lurking in packs everywhere and you have a veritable festival or re-loading, wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Atrocious. But the really awesome detail about this dungeon is the fact that there's absolutely no good reason to clear it unless you absolutely, positively need every XP point in the game.

x_5201.jpg

<3

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

'Kobold Kommandoes' (am still amused by notion of small reptilitan creatures having special forces unit) armed with fire arrows lurking in packs everywhere and you have a veritable festival or re-loading, wailing and gnashing of teeth.

It was nice of the developers to drop a protection from fire scroll (lasts 12 hours) above the ruins when you defeat the Ogre Mage.

'Kobold Kommandoes' (am still amused by notion of small reptilitan creatures having special forces unit) armed with fire arrows lurking in packs everywhere and you have a veritable festival or re-loading, wailing and gnashing of teeth.

It was nice of the developers to drop a protection from fire scroll (lasts 12 hours) above the ruins when you defeat the Ogre Mage.

"Hey look! A protection from fire scroll!"

"Great, one whole scroll. Who get's to use it?"

*all six party members look at each other*

:)