What are you playing now?

Gorth

Lift even works on a Geth Colossus, IIRC. Very Master Yoda, that.

The combat would be more fair if enemies could use lift & singularity on your party too. The few challenging fights in the game (for me, at least) are when one is posed against biotics and those only use Throw. Not to mention, enemies making better use of tech abilities (especially damping) would even things out quite a bit too.

Are you sure they only used throw? I'm almost positive that I've had lift used against me during a certain boss fight. Maybe my game was just freaking out, but I'm sure I left the ground. Enemies made great usage of tech abilities. Those bastards love to spam sabotage like there is no tomorrow, which for those spam happy bastards there won't be even if I have to beat them to death with their own arms after they permanently overheated all my weapons thanks to that freakin' overheating bug.

Singularity is a good area disable, but I found that lift was better for actually killing things. Singularity dragged them all over the place while lift just let them float there for you to kill, or push over the edge of a cliff.

The combat would be more fair if enemies could use lift & singularity on your party too. The few challenging fights in the game (for me, at least) are when one is posed against biotics and those only use Throw. Not to mention, enemies making better use of tech abilities (especially damping) would even things out quite a bit too.

I was most certainly lifted on occasion.

The toughest fights I had were against Biotics.

For Geth Colossus' I just got out of the Mako for better XP, hid behind a rock and sniper it until it died, occasionally going back behind the rock so the shots didn't reach me.

Takes way too long and I'm not sure the XP is worth it. Geth Colossus' were pretty lame fights anyway.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

There isn't much worth looting, anyway.
Yes, but it's not knowing what I'm missing that drives me crazy. I did find one pretty great piece of armor, using Liara's skill ironically.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Are you sure they only used throw? I'm almost positive that I've had lift used against me during a certain boss fight.

Matriarch Benzia.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I have always wondered how finding loot in BG2 or Diablo II was always so exiting, but so boring in other games like ME. What's the deal with that, lame combat and the upgrades not being worth it?
I think it's the inventory icons. All important/rare items in those games have distinctive icons. With KotOR-style text-based inventories, and the absurd amounts of loot you get from sacking broom cupboards everywhere, the excitement is lost.

Funny how games that are ten years old can have an advantage in eye candy over modern games.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Matriarch Benzia.

That was the fight, but she didn't touch me. I never moved into her line of sight, it was just the rest of her goons.

I have always wondered how finding loot in BG2 or Diablo II was always so exiting, but so boring in other games like ME. What's the deal with that, lame combat and the upgrades not being worth it?
I think it's the inventory icons. All important/rare items in those games have distinctive icons. With KotOR-style text-based inventories, and the absurd amounts of loot you get from sacking broom cupboards everywhere, the excitement is lost.

Funny how games that are ten years old can have an advantage in eye candy over modern games.

I don't think that's all there is to it. Besides the inventory icons, all the good loot at least in Baldur's Gate had an interesting back story to go along with it, not to mention the difference between the crappy stuff and the good stuff was much higher. All the items in Mass Effect are like finding infinite numbers of generic magical longswords. Did anyone really care when they were picking up 30 +3 longswords in the oasis? How about a generic +5 longsword when you had things like Carsomyr and all the other cool weapons around?

Sure of the guns were better than others, but the equipment is really pretty secondary to how effective your character is in Mass Effect. Finding an assault rifle that has twice the accuracy rating just means you can fire slightly longer bursts. Finding that +2 longsword in Baldur's Gate on the mercenary by the Nashkel mines? That was special. Not only did it have a back story, but it was a great weapon, had a nicer looking in game representation and had a bonus effect (extra cold damage) that you saw every time you hit someone.

Edited by Deraldin

I think it's more the fact that (at least in diablo 2) gear wasn't totally randomized, and there was unique pieces, while in ME everything is kinda generic and part of a series. So while D2 has items with legendary stats that are unique in terms of name and everything, ME just has "Juggernaut Mk. X"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I didn't actually read the long item descriptions in BG... :)

I think it really comes down to the combat system. I cared for every +1 attack and damage in BG, because it actually helped a lot and a wonky special ability could save your life. It really doesn't matter how much damage your weapon does in ME, I could have probably never switched it out and it wouldn't have been much harder.

I'd point out that when it comes to addictive loot grinding, the Diablo series has always been top of the heap.

I can't wait for D3 to come out.

You just can't kill those bastards fast enough to get to the juicy loot.

Hope D3 will keep the "/players 8" command.

Edited by Purkake

What was that one in IWD 1 or 2? The Dykast blade? THAT was a funny description.

Not sure but part 2 failed to live up to it's predecessor and item descriptions was one of the many reasons why.

No. The *$%#% Returning Frost Dart was the main reason why.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I thought IWD2 was a great game. IWD, however, is one of my all time favorites. Nevertheless, that Dykast blade made me laugh out loud and I don't give a damn if it were in IWD 1 or 2, it was a wonderful item description.

I think IWD's item descriptions tended to have a lot of flavor compared to most other games altogether. I still managed a chuckle over many of the item descriptions in the BG series as well as the IWD titles. Frankly, the only game that dropped the ball on item descriptions is the Temple of Elemental Evil. Of course, the fact that identify didn't work compounded that problem. Wait, was that a bug, a bad design decision, or a 'feature?' Riiiight. It was Troika. All of the above.

I thought IWD2 was a great game. IWD, however, is one of my all time favorites. Nevertheless, that Dykast blade made me laugh out loud and I don't give a damn if it were in IWD 1 or 2, it was a wonderful item description.

I think IWD's item descriptions tended to have a lot of flavor compared to most other games altogether. I still managed a chuckle over many of the item descriptions in the BG series as well as the IWD titles. Frankly, the only game that dropped the ball on item descriptions is the Temple of Elemental Evil. Of course, the fact that identify didn't work compounded that problem. Wait, was that a bug, a bad design decision, or a 'feature?' Riiiight. It was Troika. All of the above.

Not saying that IWD 2 is a bad game, the opposite in fact. Just not as good as the original. I did finish it 3 times as a matter of fact. My expectations for part 2 were far too high.

Edited by Kelverin

I'd point out that when it comes to addictive loot grinding, the Diablo series has always been top of the heap.

You know after a while that is pretty much what Diablo 2 degenerated into. Baal runs and trading. It got to the point on my spare days I would be trading or Baal running 50 times, sometimes I throw in a cow run somewhere in there. Most of the time you just refreshed the join games list over and over looking for decent trades. The worse were the rune words I dunno why but rune grinding to make uber rune words was extremely addictive, that and trying to get Elite items with the right number of sockets. In a way the whole experience (and the ruination of my childhood in conjunction with the original Diablo) immunized me to MMORPGs, I find no MMORPG fun because they are all just Diablo 2 style baal runs with more people and social interaction, and maybe more or less ****.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

You just can't kill those bastards fast enough to get to the juicy loot.

Hope D3 will keep the "/players 8" command.

Yeah, i want that too.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Just got Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor, a DS SRPG. Seems pretty good so far. But, it goes back on the shelf as I need to finish Knights in the Nightmare (which I would easily recommend to any SRPG/shmup fan who isn't Morgoth).

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Just got Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor, a DS SRPG. Seems pretty good so far. But, it goes back on the shelf as I need to finish Knights in the Nightmare (which I would easily recommend to any SRPG/shmup fan who isn't Morgoth).

Wow, I can't believe there are people who enjoy this weird stuff.

Anyway, playing Resident Evil 5, and for a little change, Resident Evil 4.

Anyway, playing Resident Evil 5, and for a little change, Resident Evil 4.

"Wow, I can't believe there are people who enjoy this weird stuff."

Also Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis is the defining SRPG.

Edited by Purkake