Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

watched 88 minutes today. not too bad. i sort of figured it out, at least, figured out who was behind everything shortly after beginning the flick. not for any particular reason, just a hunch based on some... odd scenes. the actual story of what went on turned out to be rather convoluted and ultimately, it didn't end the way i think it should have.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Admittedly Jim has started shifting from his role with things like the Majestic. Doesn't work quite as well. Carrey is also pretty good at playing the role other than "dumb funny guy". Farrell doesn't seem to have gotten out of that. By this I mean that I remember Farrell from the trailers of Anchorman, Taladega Nights, Blades of Fury, and Land of the Lost coming across as the guy who's ALWAYS wrong or so pigheadedly stupid it's not funny. Carrey started with the Mask but ended up being pigeonholed into that role. I donno... I guess Farrel could be the next Carrey but I don't see Farrell moving away from the archtype as Carrey did.

I've seen Jim Carrey pull off some solid acting in movies like The Truman Show. I believe he started off his career as an actor and moved into stand-up because he found more success there. I wouldn't ever call Will Farrell an actor, and I doubt he sees himself in that way. He's a comedian pretty much full-time, just not the stand up type.

edit: Huh, looked up Jim Carrey, I guess he started as a comedian under Rodney Dangerfield. He also took three years to get through grade 10. I think he was homeless for a bit too.

Edited by Hurlshot

Speaking of Jim Carey I recently watched Yes man.

Surprisingly enough it was pretty decent.

unrelated @ hurl I've heard Dangerfield was a massive blowhard and kind a dbag

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Blindness.

Um, everyone goes blind, then it switches to a little Lord Of The Flies for a while.

Kind of a 'meh' movie, although it did have some potential.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

considering renting push tonight. knowing is also out, but from what i've read, it is a tossup in quality with next, but a stupider concept (if that can be believed). next was entertaining, though mostly because i like cage and adore biel's ass. anyway, hollywood strikes again with the craptacular lineup coming on to cable from last summer... yay.

taks

Half Blood Prince. Really good, saw it at midnight. The best of the bunch so far, which is ironic because its the worst of the books (its still very good though, don't get me wrong) IMO. Maybe its so good because it isn't just a carbon copy of the book- it really turns what was a somewhat boring book into a relatively exciting movie. It leaves out some scenes that are actually pretty important (i.e.

Dumbledore showing Harry most of the Pensieve stuff

) and puts in stuff that wasn't in the book (i.e.

the attack on the Burrow

).

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I think I saw that one. The one with the kid who fell underground? I wasn't a big Xfiles fan, but I did scratch my head. It was time killing fun altogether, but certainly not something I'd bother watching again.

No, that was X-Files Fight the Future which came out 10 years ago. X-Files I Want to Believe came out last year and was about a serial killer type movie.

Why didn't they stick to the mythology with the aliens??? >_<

got me. retarded is the word that repeatedly pops into my mind.

taks

It was like watching a 2 hour episode of Criminal Minds. The X-Files part in this movie was pretty ordinary. Other than the psychic and

transplanting a head onto another body ala Dr Frankenstein

, it was just a generic serial killer type movie.

considering renting push tonight. knowing is also out, but from what i've read, it is a tossup in quality with next, but a stupider concept (if that can be believed). next was entertaining, though mostly because i like cage and adore biel's ass. anyway, hollywood strikes again with the craptacular lineup coming on to cable from last summer... yay.

taks

I saw Push a few days ago. It was pretty ordinary.

It leaves out some scenes that are actually pretty important (i.e.

the attack on the Burrow

).

Was it hacked up as much as The Prisoner of Azkaban? Despite all that it was still a great movie, albeit really short.

sigh... that's all i get, right? pretty ordinary for $5.99 or craptacular something else that i've already seen 10000 times (though for free). yay. if my wife was home, we'd be out at the new potter flick. unfortunately, she has a going away dinner for one of the other managers at her office.

so here i sit, pondering what to watch while the child is blissfully watching wonder pets upstairs. he should be done with his hotdog soon. he is required to eat some cake tonight. yeah, required. a topic for the other thread i guess. >_<

taks

Half Blood Prince. Really good, saw it at midnight. The best of the bunch so far, which is ironic because its the worst of the books (its still very good though, don't get me wrong) IMO. Maybe its so good because it isn't just a carbon copy of the book- it really turns what was a somewhat boring book into a relatively exciting movie. It leaves out some scenes that are actually pretty important (i.e.

the attack on the Burrow

).

I suspect that book-readers perspective is pretty important in this case, because I have not read the book and I felt that this movie was, sadly, really disappointing. Nothing much happens during the first half and the scenes from the second half weren't really interesting enough to make up for that. Simply put, I was bored. Which made me sad because I really enjoyed the last few.

Although I did like some of the more horror-esque touches. That scene where that

girl who got hexed does that silent scream in the air

and that scene with the

zombie hand shooting out of the water

, the whole theater jumped at that scene. I don't remember the last time I saw a 'made you jump out of your seat' scene as effective as that. Maybe that scene in The Dark Crystal where the doglike thing shoots out of the hole.

the motion capture version of beowulf won the honors for our viewing pleasure last night. pretty good. i was reading the differences (gripes) between the real story and the zemeckis story and quite frankly, i prefer the latter. the former is just a story about a hero. the latter is the story about a human, one that recognizes his own flaws and works to correct them. the connection between the various monsters and the reasons for the story make a bit more sense in this context, though there are still some holes that could have been filled. my son was riveted. he was a bit distraught at the end, too, announcing that "it's not fair that the bravest one has to die." quite astute that little bugger. soon he'll understand why beowulf had to die.

overall, i liked it, though i can't say i liked the motion capture aspect. it allows for easier scene generation as well as much more complex scenes, but they seem so artificial at times it can be distracting. characters often look almost cross-eyed, IMO.

taks

The Wild Geese.

It's brilliant, my dad took me to see it at The Odeon, Leicester Square, when it was released. Thrillingly, there was a diaroma of jeeps and army trucks from the riverbed-bomber scene with large-scale model vehicles around the top of the cinema.

I watched it again because I heard how Guy Ritchie is doing a re-make. Am wondering how on earth he's going to pull it off, but wish him well. I mean, the original has Richard Burton, Roger Moore, Richard Harris and Hardy Kruger. Nowadays that would be like getting Russell Crowe, Daniel Craig, Hugh Grant and Sean Bean to agree to be in the same movie. Ain't gonna happen.

TWG is like a Brit version of The Dirty Dozen, it's a sort of macho totem that you f**k with at your peril.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

It leaves out some scenes that are actually pretty important (i.e.

the attack on the Burrow

).

Was it hacked up as much as The Prisoner of Azkaban? Despite all that it was still a great movie, albeit really short.

Not really.

I suspect that book-readers perspective is pretty important in this case, because I have not read the book and I felt that this movie was, sadly, really disappointing. Nothing much happens during the first half and the scenes from the second half weren't really interesting enough to make up for that. Simply put, I was bored. Which made me sad because I really enjoyed the last few.

Yeah, I think in this case reading the book shows you how little they had to work with; the book itself was about as exciting as watching a snail move. They actually did a great job considering they had to make a movie out of back-story exposition.

Although I did like some of the more horror-esque touches. That scene where that

girl who got hexed does that silent scream in the air

and that scene with the

zombie hand shooting out of the water

, the whole theater jumped at that scene. I don't remember the last time I saw a 'made you jump out of your seat' scene as effective as that. Maybe that scene in The Dark Crystal where the doglike thing shoots out of the hole.

Yeah, everyone jumped in my theater too. I knew it was coming, but it still managed to surprise me.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

yeah, push was ordinary. well, maybe a bit more than ordinary, and it was rather scatter-brained at times. drunk dakota was a hoot. worth a rent at least. some plot inconsistencies, as always...

taks

tried to watch Brick last night

it seemed okay but i was really really tired and lying on the most comfortable couch in existence, so i kinda fell asleep about 30mins into it ;)

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

I just finished watching Departures (Okuribito), the winner of this year's Oscar for best foreign language film. It's about a man whose dream is crushed with only two words and decides to move back to his hometown and ends up working as an "encoffineer," the one who specializes in preparing bodies before they are put in the coffin.

The story itself is quite beautiful in its own way, and I simply cannot recommend it highly enough. Everyone should see this film.

I watched Memento for the first time the other day, and I can honestly say I didn't like it much at all. Think it might be that the hype killed it for me, heard so many good things about it, and the premise of sounds like it would be right up my alley. But... didn't click with me at all.

On the other hand, I watched Syriana today which I thought was brilliant.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I just finished watching the animated Wonder Woman movie that came out a few months ago. It was quite impressive. I'd have to say it fares much better than its Marvel counterparts.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

heh i distinctly remember one thing from the animated Avengers movie

Iron Man's helmet breaking as he's getting the crap beaten outta him by the Hulk

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!