Fallout 3

jaguars4ever

Level scaling!?

GOD DAMMIT! GOD DAMMIT! GOD DAMMIT! GOD DAMMIT! GOD DAMMIT! GOD DAMMIT! GOD DAMMIT! GOD DAMMIT! GOD DAMMIT! GOD DAMMIT! GOD DAMMIT! GOD DAMMIT!

Don't worry, it's barely perceptible and can hardly be construed as being game-breaker like it was in Oblivion:

-The creatures you encounter (radroach, deathclaw, etc) NEVER scale.

-Loot that isn't hand-placed but is random will scale;

-It would be more accurate to say the wasteland is divided into encounter level area portions, that is designed for level x characters, but locks upon being discovered:

• For example, if your level 2 character stumbles upon a city ruin designed for level 4 characters, then he's going to be in for a hard time. However, the level of enemies in that area is 4. So if you come back later, their level will be locked at 4 and you should be able to pr4wn them;
  • Areas designed for a lower level character that you HAVEN'T previously discovered will have slight scaling though. That is, if your level 12 character stumbles upon a slaver camp designed for level 6 characters, then the slavers will scale to about 8 or so.

--

you find bobbleheads lying around in the world and pick them up, they give you an AUTOMATIC skill bonus to one of your skills.

Are you kidding?

Again don't worry about it. They're supposed to be more like rare easter eggs than a regularly found commodity. I haven't even found any of these elusive bobble-heads yet.

manthing2.jpg

Level scaling!?

GOD DAMMIT! GOD DAMMIT! GOD DAMMIT! GOD DAMMIT! GOD DAMMIT! GOD DAMMIT! GOD DAMMIT! GOD DAMMIT! GOD DAMMIT! GOD DAMMIT! GOD DAMMIT! GOD DAMMIT!

Don't worry, it's barely perceptible and can hardly be construed as being game-breaker like it was in Oblivion:

-The creatures you encounter (radroach, deathclaw, etc) NEVER scale.

-Loot that isn't hand-placed but is random will scale;

-It would be more accurate to say the wasteland is divided into encounter level area portions, that is designed for level x characters, but locks upon being discovered:

• For example, if your level 2 character stumbles upon a city ruin designed for level 4 characters, then he's going to be in for a hard time. However, the level of enemies in that area is 4. So if you come back later, their level will be locked at 4 and you should be able to pr4wn them;
  • Areas designed for a lower level character that you HAVEN'T previously discovered will have slight scaling though. That is, if your level 12 character stumbles upon a slaver camp designed for level 6 characters, then the slavers will scale to about 8 or so.

I sure hope so. Whew. :lol:

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Sounds like a damn good game, honestly.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Sounds like a damn good game, honestly.

Best game Bethesda has put out yet.

Which isn't exactly saying much as Bethesda's previous games have been pretty ****.

But...this game does seem to be legitimately on par with, dare I say it, Black Isle quality. :thumbsup:

Edited by jaguars4ever
manthing2.jpg

Very positive Review from the always reliable Tom Chick.

But the real storyline here is how you develop your character and navigate the choices. This is what makes Fallout 3 a great RPG. It's got plenty of meticulous stats and picky skill checks, but what sets it apart is the way you navigate the moral geography. Who do you help or hurt, and how do you do it? That's the far more compelling part of the storyline, and it's the bulk of the character development, even more than which perk you take when you level up (which is also pretty compelling). In this regard, Fallout 3 is very much like the games of Obsidian and Black Isle, but without their dated top-down contrivances.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

"Dated top-down contrivances"? I take issue with that.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Well, top down/isometric is a bit dated when compared to the current 3D age.

Just saying...

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Well, top down/isometric is a bit dated when compared to the current 3D age.

Just saying...

Depends on the type of game you prefer. If you (like me) prefer games with emphasis on tactics in combat, (pseudo) isometric views are prefereable. If you prefer games where you solve conflict through your own actions rather than decisions, then it might just feel frustrating to be relegated to observing the exploits of your character.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Being 3D and having top down views are not mutually exclusive. Look at the Total War Series.

Otherwise, I totally agree with you.

I has fatboy.... >.>

its interesting theres usually only about 1 or 2 quests in a town (at least this early) and I'm having trouble because I've got limited life no stimpacks and little meat. I've got enough ammo to last me a LITTLE while but I have to rely on VATS exclusivly in fights (when you VATS you don't take damage while firing the shot).

Bloody Mess is AMAZING (when you crit and kill the body just comes apart in a spray of blood) and the laser weapons will when crit killing turn your opponent to ash literally. all the loot is still there but no body except that pile of ashes.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

You don't need to eat food and water but food and water will replenish your health and it is far far more plentiful than stimpacks. Some food and water aren't purified and will boost up your rads, so after eating a twelve course meal from the wastelands you might need to use Radaway like Pepto Bismol. The survival aspects kick in when dealing with hostiles and lack of ammo. Not a problem if you are playing a pugilist, but I wouldn't want to go against a super mutant hand to hand.

Edited by Killian Kalthorne

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

If the game gets a Construction Set and some good mods to download I will get the PC version myself. However, my XBox 360 is a little more stable and more powerful than my PC right now.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."