Fallout 3

jaguars4ever

Vince has very high standards.

Really? Hes blasting the game because the TUTORIAL is "too easy". Seriously? Dont want to maybe invest an hour before you decide the game sucks? Ill admit to having a quick trigger too but thats wrt performance, not whether the level 1 punching bags in the tutorial are too easy.

Edited by Gfted1

Really? Hes blasting the game because the TUTORIAL is "too easy". Seriously? Dont want to maybe invest an hour before you decide the game sucks? Ill admit to having a quick trigger too but thats wrt performance, not whether the level 1 punching bags in the tutorial are too easy.

The problem is one of consistancy, where you can easily beat up a whole bunch of people and kill the Overseer without even breaking a sweat, this with the player character being a level 1 weakling (and using skills that the character is rather weak in to start with). And why on earth should tutorials be so easy that you can basically kill enemies (full-grown humans with weapons) by sneezing at them.

I don't see what's wrong with his complaints so far. And hell, in his second post there's some positive stuff as well and he says that it looks like it'll be a better game than Oblivion.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Its kind of funny to complain about the introduction/tutorial in FO3, when FO2 had one of the worst in history. I know far too many people who never made it past the temple with the ants in, I was one of them for many years actually.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Its kind of funny to complain about the introduction/tutorial in FO3, when FO2 had one of the worst in history. I know far too many people who never made it past the temple with the ants in, I was one of them for many years actually.

I also was amused by his complaining about getting a weak energy weapon "too early," as if the skill balance in FO 1&2 wherein energy weapons were non-existant for 3/4ths of the game and totally pwned in the last 1/4 was good design.

I also was amused by his complaining about getting a weak energy weapon "too early," as if the skill balance in FO 1&2 wherein energy weapons were non-existant for 3/4ths of the game and totally pwned in the last 1/4 was good design.

It's almost as amusing as my level 6 character carrying around a Fat Man with 9 nukes in it.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

EEEK! My level 6 character doesn't have a Fatman. I just got the combat shotgun, and I am running away alot because a lot of things tend to b able to kick my arse.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

The Combat Shotgun seems to be a rather good weapon. I'm using it quite a bit now that I've got the ammo count up a bit. My favourite weapon in terms of overall feel though is the Hunting Rifle. Something about that just screams "old piece of crap with loads of personality". Really like using it.

Werewolf?

Worse.

Super Mutants. I leave a set of sewers, barely surviving, in the middle of Georgetown. The first thing I see is a super mutant coming at me. Low on stims and hit points I promptly ran away. Went back the other way and when I came out from that end, Mirelocks and centaurs! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!

I ran away.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

One has to wonder though, does an incredibly stupid design decision like that (one, I might add, that is pretty much disliked by most of the really hardcore Fallout fans as well) excuse bad design decisions in this game?

Of course it doesnt, but it does take away from VD's "things were better in my day" argument somewhat. Personally, I dont think it makes any sense to complain that the tutorial was too easy. You're supposed to play the whol intro in one go without having to reload a hundred times because the vault guards instakill you on sight.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

It could have been a little tougher. However I found it far more entertaining than FO1 and FO2 tutorial level. At least we weren't killing rats and mini-radscorpians. Besides, typical vaulters are wussies. How many of those security guys have actually been in a real fire fight before anyway? I saw one get his leg ripped off by a roach. A freaking roach.

Edited by Killian Kalthorne

I didn't read it because I as afraid of spoilers. I have to say, you guys have been great for not spoiling the game. Of course, I might actually be playing it, as unlikely as that is, if I hadn't needed to download it again because the first install didn't work. I kept getting a "don't have dx9_3something.dll" error. I deleted it and am downloading it again off of Steam. So far, that does not impress me. I want to have a good experience using Steam, but I don't know if this is a problem with the Download or the game at this point. Here's hoping.

As far as the tutorial goes, I think it's strange to complain about its ease. If this Vince guy had complained that there is a tutorial, which is a comman complaint because folks don't like tutorials a lot of the time, then it would have made more sense to me.

The thing is that the tutorial in Fallout 3 is a very integrated part of the overall game, it's where the story starts and it's not a "seperate entity" from the rest of the game. Thus the premise of it comes off as pretty strange when you, an inexperienced 19 year old, can pluck off these Vault guards *really* (and I really mean really) easily despite the fact that they have guns and armor. It's like they're made of paper. And there's the other logical problems like, why the hell are the people "looking for you" and they didn't even think to look in your room?

These things need not be drumtight, but come on man?

About Directx, I'm not sure what causes it but I had a lot of problems when installing Oblivion for the first time. It would freeze constantly and crash when it tried to update my Directx (can't remember how I worked around it, I guess I manually updated it). When I installed Fallout 3 (this is another newer computer), I thought the same thing would happen. When it checked Directx it basically "froze" (though I guess it was working) for an *extremely* long time (way longer than the actual installation). Not sure why that happened? I've not had issues like that with other games that update Directx. Something to do with the installer?

Oh, yeah, some of those problems with the intro are quirky. The problem with killing off the guards easy doesn't bother me, since it's a pretty common thing with tutorials anyhow. The idea that they're trying to find you and didn't thoroughly search your room would be pretty jarring to me. It wouldn't kill the game, but I would wonder about it.

We'll see about the next install. It's almost done loading and I'll load it and play the intro just to make sure that the game works. If it is the installer, shame on you, Bethesda! No biggie as long as I can load it properly on the second run. I've had to reinstall several games because of one snafu or another over the years. I'm not ready to storm the barricades at the first problem.

Hehe, I love agendas. After reading hundreds of posts over at Beth it really seems the game is a hit, even converting a lot of previous "haters" and hardcore Fallout players then you read a "review" that just cant wait to piss all over every aspect of the game. I dont know who "Vince" is supposed to be (tag says developer) but he just sounds like a mouth full of sour grapes. He wants to hate it so bad he cant help himself.

We need a new german word for taking pleasure in the pain people feel when they enjoy themselves.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Well, I finished the intro. I manually downloaded the latest version of Direct X *nods to alanschu* but I don't think it was the game. I think my antivirus caused a snafu, since it didn't work the first download and only worked on the second download after I visited Microsoft.

First impression, just from the tutorial:

1) Character creation is awesome and I loved it.

2) The tutorial, like starwars says, is kind of cheesy. They usually are, but I think it's fair to say it about FO3.

3) The game looks and feels good and I'm seriously going to create a new character when I have time, which means going through the tutorial again, and start a real game.

Overall, I'm quite impressed that is has a Fallout feel. No, it's not FO1 or 2, but it has all the trappings of Fallout. It does have a certain Oblivion feel to it, but that has not been a detraction so far. I guess the character animations do look a little... weird? but the scenery inside and just outside the vault is good. Some of the moral dilemmas show up immediately. I was assigned as Chaplain after my G.O.A.T. haha funny. I'm not going to write anything long unless I have some a completely different perspective, which seems unlikely at this point. So far, so good, but only past the tutorial so far.