Fallout 3

jaguars4ever

I found

Pinkerton

, who in turn led me to The

Replicated Man

. Now I have his

A3-21

Plasma Rifle - surely the best weapon in the game!?

Might not be the best weapon for ALL situations in the game, but it's my primary weapon that I always have readied. I hadn't put any points into energy weapons before I got it, but once I did, I dumped a few levels worth there and now I'm literally making glowing slag out of my enemies. For some reason, though, it's SO much more effective in VATS. The 'bullets' seem to go right through baddies some times when your freestyling it.

My weapon stash includes: combat shotgun, sniper rifle, hunting rifle, Sydney's Ultra 10mm SMG (kicks ass...sucks that she got her head literally smashed by a supersledge-wielding super mutant...that was quite a sight), Chinese assault rifle, plasma rifle, and some unique flame thrower that I had to go through irradiated hell to get. Overkill?

Oh, and MINES and GRENADES are actually useful in FO3. leave a trail of mines, draw their attention and let the 'splodin' begin. I literally survived like this during the early levels.

Edited by Arkan

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Things I haven't seen yet and I'm level 18:

1. Deathclaws

2. BoS that I can join to get power armor

3. Super Mutant Behemoth

4. Dogmeat :shifty:

RE: Deathclaws and Supermutants. What's the explanation of how supermutants got to the east coast, anyway? They were all over California because of the vats and such. Same with Deathclaws. I thought they were a west coast product, but maybe they are...I haven't come across any yet!

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Hehe, I did the same thing with the Fatman. Aiming at a super mutant it just dropped out of the Fatman and blew us both away.

I've added all of the F1 & F2 music to the game. I love the western track from Fallout 2. Sounds great when roaming the wastes. Pretty much all of the F1 & F2 music falls under the category of exploration, public/town & dungeon/underground tracks. Nothing really for battle music. The brotherhood theme from F1 is perfect for 'Military Base' music though.

How did you import OG Fallout music?

http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=39

Also, a couple of must have mods:

UI mod that makes the menus not so consoley: http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=43

Slayer leather jacket (hell yes): http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=55

Higher resolution blood textures: http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=50

There's also a mod that let's you play as a kid: http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=56

edit: I also really like this handgun model: http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=52

Edited by Lare Kikkeli

Things I haven't seen yet and I'm level 18:

1. Deathclaws

2. BoS that I can join to get power armor

3. Super Mutant Behemoth

4. Dogmeat :shifty:

RE: Deathclaws and Supermutants. What's the explanation of how supermutants got to the east coast, anyway? They were all over California because of the vats and such. Same with Deathclaws. I thought they were a west coast product, but maybe they are...I haven't come across any yet!

1. As for Deathclaws, consider yourself lucky - there's a HUGE deathclaw right outside

Meresti

trainyard outside the

Family's

hideout. I initially discovered the

Meresti

trainyard when following King's advice in searching for The

Family

, and so I connected to it via

Northwest Seneca

station near Arefu. The thing is, thereafter fast traveled to it (not noticing there was a deathclaw) when I was level 2 or 3, and *BOOM* just like that I'm face-to-face with the best. I love how they've reverted them to their FO1 legendary stature (I always found them too watered down and common in FO2 and tactics).

2 & 3. I tagged along with a BoS troupe (surely a scripted event I believe) when exiting

Chevy North

train station while locating the Galaxy New Radio building. You'll know the one, since the blondie (Sentinel Sarah Lyons) and her group are taking down hordes of Supermutants. One of the apprentices (Jenkins?) had died so I think there was a Power Armor and Power Helmet up for grabs. But when the Behemoth showed up I literally ran and hid. That thing was a monstrosity and was ripping the BoS to shreds.

I recommend getting to

Chevy North

via

Faragut West

metro, as it was a memorable Resident Evil-esque experience. Plus, I discovered this really cloak-and-dagger quest through a recorded holo-tape which still has me stumped.

4. I must have found Dogmeat when level 2 or 3. I remember doing that

Minefield

quest for

Moira

in Megaton. Well, just south of

Minefield

, there's

Scrapyard

. Dogmeat should be there fighting off/having killed off some raiders.

Edit: Dogmeat is the absolute best. Not only does he bite faster than you can shoot, but he doesn't seem to count against your follower NPC limit.

Edited by jaguars4ever
manthing2.jpg

Hehe, I did the same thing with the Fatman. Aiming at a super mutant it just dropped out of the Fatman and blew us both away.

I've added all of the F1 & F2 music to the game. I love the western track from Fallout 2. Sounds great when roaming the wastes. Pretty much all of the F1 & F2 music falls under the category of exploration, public/town & dungeon/underground tracks. Nothing really for battle music. The brotherhood theme from F1 is perfect for 'Military Base' music though.

How did you import OG Fallout music?

Very simple. Just go to your default install folder. Open the 'Data' folder, then the 'Music' folder. You will see a number of folders like 'Base', 'Battle' etc.

If you have any MP3 music, you can drop it into one of these folders. Thats one cool thing about Oblivion, Fallout 3 and I think even Morrowind, the game will randomly select between any new music you add and the official music that comes with the game. The only folders I don't mess with are:

Endgame

Special

Tension

& Tranquility Lane

Note about the other folders and what music best suits them.

Base - Music played in military installations. The Brotherhood theme from F1 fits perfectly with this folder.

Battle - I personally don't think any F1 or F2 music tracks work well in this folder. You want some decent action music for this folder and F1/F2 is almost exclusively ambient.

Dungeon - Creepier more ambient songs fit well for exploring underground caverns. Quite a few F1 & F2 tracks work well in this folder.

Explore - Music when out wandering the wastes. F2's western tracks are awesome to hear when wandering around. Music that evokes a sense of awe is great to drop in this folder.

Public - Music heard in towns. Again, a number of tracks from F1 & F2 work well in this like the Shady Sands music.

You can also completely replace in game music with new tracks by simply removing a song you don't like and putting a replacement with the same name in. For instance, say you hate Dungeon_01.mp3. Simply find some other piece of music, rename it to Dungeon_01.mp3 and replace it. Of course, make sure you make a backup of any original files just in case.

I replaced a lot of songs in Oblivion to improve the game.

Only problem is, I don't know how to add new music to the radio stations. I'd love to add the opening Armstrong song from Fallout 2 to the GNR radio station but I have no idea how or if its possible. Adding the Inkspot's Maybe from Fallout 1 is pointless as it is already on the GNR station.

Currently trying to hunt down MP3 versions of the Fallout Tactics music to see if any of it is worth adding to F3.

By the way, awesome prank if you know someone who plays Oblivion or Fallout 3 on the PC. Replace all their music with the most ridiculous songs you can find. Greatest Rick Roll ever = replacing the title song. NEVER GONNA GIVE YOU UP! :shifty: Hell, replace EVERY song with it!

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

I've just stumbled across the "town" of... damn, I forget... anyways it's where

the incestuous cannibals live

. Interesting people, although I would not recommend eating any of their meat pies

or looking in the basements/shed unless you want to have a confrontation.

securom2gu8.png

This game is the most fun I've had since KotOR 2 or something... damn is this thing addictive! The crafting system, while limited, is pretty cool. That

Nuka Cola bomb

is insane. It's cool that you can gather random pre-war junk and sell it, too, even if it's worthless to you. Bring out the scavenger in you!

Anyway, has anyone else experienced missing NPCs? I lost Walter in Megaton and had to bring him back via console... he had managed to fall off the map somehow. And now I fear Sentinel Lyons has suffered the same fate, as she's gone

after I spoke to that wacky Three Dog bozo at the top of the GR building

. I'd appreciate if somebody could post her ID, I don't have any saves before meeting her.

Also, how are you guys managing money? I can hardly make ends meet. I have been unable to buy any stuff for the house, and I'm quite meticulous when it comes to looting. Is it better to sell a few items in good condition or a crapload of banged up stuff? Is investing on the barter skill worth it? I remember I never needed it in the old FOs...

I've invested some in barter. I tend to repair a lot because it improves the value and because I can't carry a crapload of stuff. I dunno. I usually have between 600 to 1,000 caps on hand. I think, if you really wanted to buy the expensive home improvements, it wouldn't take too long. I've got a lot of odds and ends I keep at my house that I don't need, I guess I could get another grand or two and maybe get more crap for the house. My barter is about 30 and I've been able to afford most stuff. I keep a lot of stuff on hand, though, nothing crazy, but about 70 stimpacks and at least 10 each of radaway, radx, medx, mentat, psycho, and jet. I don't know why I keep jet, as I haven't used it once anyhow. Hmm, maybe I really will have a yard sale and go on a shopping spree.

Also, how are you guys managing money? I can hardly make ends meet. I have been unable to buy any stuff for the house, and I'm quite meticulous when it comes to looting. Is it better to sell a few items in good condition or a crapload of banged up stuff? Is investing on the barter skill worth it? I remember I never needed it in the old FOs...

I've bought everything there is to buy for my house and I'm still swimming in money. What I do is concentrate on a few select weapons (silenced pistol, combat shotgun, sniper rifle) and sell everything else. I also make sure to pick up all the non-weight stuff (ammo, darts, pills), since you can carry obscene amounts of that stuff. In Megaton there's a guy in

the water refining house that buys scrap metal. Not only does he have unlimited caps, you also get XP for trading with him!

Use him.

Found my ninth bobblehead:

Fallout3SS09.jpg

WARNING!! NEXT PICTURE MIGHT BE SPOILERISH!!

Guess who this is?

Fallout3SS10.jpg

Harold!

Ps. We really should be able to put spoiler tags around pictures too. I've tried, it doesn't work. But I've seen it work on other boards, where pressing a spoiler button "folds out" the picture from hiding.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

You know, something I find kind of fun that makes decent money, Random Noob? This is kind of a light spoiler, but it does tell you to do a specific quest line.

Moire, the trader in Megaton, wants help researching her book. The money is so-so, but it does have its benefits. When you get to the third chapter, she asks you to go to the library. In the Arlington Library, there is a BoS chic who wants you to get pre-war books for her. She's been giving me 100c a pop for these books, so I've made about 1000c so far just doing that. There's a lot of loot there too.

I haven't had much trouble with money, and that's true even though my strength is 2, I keep a full array of small arms and two energy weapons, and I don't do many multiple trip loot runs. I've decked out my place fairly well, although I'd like more.

This is simply one of the most addictive games I've played in a long long time. I would unreservedly suggest this title to anyone. The game is so fun it has stolen time from sleep and other projects. I simply cannot be cautious at this point. If I suddenly lost interest tomorrow, it would have been worth my money for the fun I've had thus far.

If you haven't bought it, I suggest it.

You know, mkreku, I've collected tons of that

scrap metal

and I give it to him for free. haha. I'm an absolute saint. That's the thing about all these games. Hell, if the people had more money on hand, I'd have even more of it myself. That tip about non weight items is very true. Earlier today, I picked up a non-weight half smoked cigarette. Hell, I put points into barter just to suit my roleplaying desires. All of these games have a ciritcal mass for money. Once you reach it, you can pretty much do whatever you want moneywise.

@GreasyDogMeat: I agree with your point earlier about "kiss before you leave me." I wish they'd had that one in there.

One of my favorite things about the game is listening to Galaxy Radio. I love hearing reports about stuff I've done that's made the news. The quests I've finished are regular fodder for the Deejay.

One of my favorite things about the game is listening to Galaxy Radio. I love hearing reports about stuff I've done that's made the news. The quests I've finished are regular fodder for the Deejay.

Three Dog doesn't care about you! He doesn't care about America! He - like the ghouls, supermutants, raiders, and the so-called Brotherhood of steal - are part of the system of degenerates that flouts the magnificence of this once great nation.

Now put your faith in President John Henry Eden, and he'll restore the status quo ante and bring us back to our former glory!

Plus, the Enclave Radio music is totally sweet and awesome! I've never felt this patriotic while Bush has been in office!

manthing2.jpg