What are you playing now?

Gorth

Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction.

Darn myself for playing this.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction.

Darn myself for playing this.

I started playing this again as well. Today. After a 7 year hiatus.

4 hours just went by real quick.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Played The Wither for 10 hours or so, now it's not as good anymore.. The story kinda thins out and the quests are really boring..

To those who've played it. Does it get more fun after Vizima?

Fortune favors the bald.

No, it doesn't. I got stuck when having to do some sort of autopsy and the game totally lost me. I've tried to pick it up after that, but it just doesn't pull me in anymore. Also, some of the quests seem to be broken. I have lots of crap in my quest log for quests that are impossible to complete and stuff like that annoys me to no end. Probably also one of the reasons why I lost interest in it.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

There are people who say that it does. There are people who say that it doesn't. I belong to the second group, believing that the game gameplay-wise is a disaster and the story isn't worth -since it keeps getting dragged- wasting so many hours in boring repetitive gameplay.

Personally I played it through (mostly because I like dark fantasy too much so I was kinda in love with the atmosphere and graphics and themes) but I kept cursing and hating it. :|

Edited by Istima Loke

I think therefore I am?

Could be!

Or is it really someone else

Who only thinks he's me?

that would be ToEE for me, but i just can't bring myself to install it. it's just too broken. oh, i guess i could say the same for PoRII. what a mess that was. well, i guess it wasn't really "broken" (other than the one really, really, bad bug), just that booooooring.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Well, I'm playing through the game at the moment and I have to say that I do not find it disappointing - although I will wait to buy a copy, I am borrowing one at the moment, until the expanded version ships. As for the autopsy, did you really have that much trouble with it?! I thought it was a fairly easy quest... :)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

that would be ToEE for me, but i just can't bring myself to install it. it's just too broken. oh, i guess i could say the same for PoRII. what a mess that was. well, i guess it wasn't really "broken" (other than the one really, really, bad bug), just that booooooring.

taks

Did you try the Circle of Eight patch? It does make the game playable. At least it did for me.

http://www.co8.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Combat system is best in 3.5 E D&D game

Too bad encounter design sucks

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Well, I'm playing through the game at the moment and I have to say that I do not find it disappointing - although I will wait to buy a copy, I am borrowing one at the moment, until the expanded version ships. As for the autopsy, did you really have that much trouble with it?! I thought it was a fairly easy quest... :lol:

I don't think it was the difficulties about it - because that's where I am as well - it just sucked the joy out of the game for a few days, when I had to go to the girls house for the 3rd time and the old lady kicked me out 6 times in a row.. I just seemed so stupid and pointless from the game design point of view. The load times didn't help the problem either.

I don't know.. the game just has a problem keeping me interested, some of the quest seem so "empty" that I don't really want to do them. It's like bad grinding in a mmo.

The setting, the story and the overall feel of the game is pretty good - but some of the elements are so annoying that I give up and have to wait for a while to come back.. that's generally not a good sign.

Fortune favors the bald.

Combat system is best in 3.5 E D&D game

Too bad encounter design sucks

Care to expand on that?

Obviously Xard will have his own view, but he's not too far wrong as far as I'm concerned. Troika clearly wanted to make the game (a) free-form (you can finish the game very quickly if you take certain paths) with the result that the critical path is more like a very faded trail hidden beneath the long grass. They also (b) are pretty faithful to the pen and paper module.

Which is a problem.

P&P modules, especially old skool AD&D modules, are sketchy. That's done on purpose, so that the DM can fit the story into his or her existing campaign. So the arbitrary monster population of the dungeons is reflected in the computer games which might be part of Xard's gripe with the encounters.

Having said that, there are some good battles - the old tower at the start of the game where you fight a load of bandits is fun. That giant wandering about is tough, but then again bumping into monsters and running away is all part of the fun.

But, yes, it is the best implementation of any pen-and-paper combat system I've ever seen in a CRPG. I don't say that lightly. Very tactical, turn-based, lots of options and great to look at. 9/10.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Did you try the Circle of Eight patch? It does make the game playable. At least it did for me.

"playable" isn't what i desire in a game, and yes, i have played with the CO8 patch installed. it's still a steaming pile, i.e., broken, regardless of how good the combat is from a tactical perspective (there are lots of broken issues with that as well, IMO).

it was always understood that old-skool D&D modules were sparse on purpose, and these guys implemented the game "true to the original module" as if they never knew that. in other words, they had no clue what D&D was about. duh.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

"playable" isn't what i desire in a game, and yes, i have played with the CO8 patch installed. it's still a steaming pile, i.e., broken, regardless of how good the combat is from a tactical perspective (there are lots of broken issues with that as well, IMO).

it was always understood that old-skool D&D modules were sparse on purpose, and these guys implemented the game "true to the original module" as if they never knew that. in other words, they had no clue what D&D was about. duh.

taks

I played the original pnp when it came out and it brought back a lot of memories, other than that the game is really bad (never said it was anything but) I did finish it which tells me there is some things it does well (combat, NPC's somewhat, music, it is challenging) and it does have it's moments and the Co8 patch really helped me at least complete it.

:woot:

I picked up Sin Episodes: Emergence and NOLF2 the other day. Saw them both in the bargain bin for $2.50 each and I seemed to recall people enjoying them so I grabbed them. For $5 total, I don't see how I can be disappointed.

Lucky, I haven't been able to find a good bargain-bin around where I am. Anyways, I am playing some Neverwinter Nights modules, Sniper Elite, and The Witcher.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I'm currently playing through the PC port of Resident Evil 4. It's literally very hard to stop playing, since there is no "quit" option in the pause menu... :ermm: In addition to that, you'll be greeted with a BSOD if you try to minimize the game in any way :/

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"