Top 25 PC Games of All Time

Xard

Pokemon Red/Blue better be up there too.

note the two giant PC letters? :aiee:

I'm guessing one of the major factors of what went into this is their sales. Another would be the review scores, and the final would be impact on pop culture.

Dues probably rated lower because it's impact on pop culture was low and it was more of a closet game than a smash. Call of duty was a good seller and had a better feel to it than say, medal of honor.

My guess is Half Life will top that list.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

People, people, this is IGN. How seriously do you take IGN? How seriously do you take "best of all time" lists? Have you seen "The Definitive 200 albums of all time"? It will melt your brain. This list is kind of like that (but not nearly as painful) But stuff like this is still fun.

I'm going to take a guess as to what games they could possibly include in the top 10.

Fallout

Doom

Half-Life

Starcraft

Command & Conquer

Civilization 2

Quake

Diablo

Baldur's Gate

Some of those, and some other games I've never played or never cared to play.

Pokemon Red/Blue better be up there too.

note the two giant PC letters? :aiee:

I'm guessing one of the major factors of what went into this is their sales. Another would be the review scores, and the final would be impact on pop culture.

Dues probably rated lower because it's impact on pop culture was low and it was more of a closet game than a smash. Call of duty was a good seller and had a better feel to it than say, medal of honor.

My guess is Half Life will top that list.

My bad.

I see that IGN has once again forgotten to ask my divine opionons on the best games ever.

#5 System Shock 2

#3 Deus Ex

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Picks 10-6 are up today.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/772/772285p3.html

Half Life 2? *sighs* Did Valve send IGN a check for that one?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

People, people, this is IGN. How seriously do you take IGN? How seriously do you take "best of all time" lists? Have you seen "The Definitive 200 albums of all time"? It will melt your brain. This list is kind of like that (but not nearly as painful) But stuff like this is still fun.

Shania Twain? :)

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Top # Lists are, in my opinion, the most useless things in the world when it comes to music and games. Everyone has different preferences, and everytime someone compiles a list its based on theirs.

Plus they're always wrong.

Sim2000?

These lists are amusing. :rolleyes:

DungeonKeeper should be on that list, hehee ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Picks 10-6 are up today.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/772/772285p3.html

Half Life 2? *sighs* Did Valve send IGN a check for that one?

They probably sent IGN a copy of the game. That would have been bribery enough.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Starcraft and Baldur's Gate was expected, but Half-Life 2? what?

Diablo will be #2 or #1 with a mindset like that.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I dunno...I kinda think if there's a Diablo on that list, it might be Diablo2, not the first one.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I love lists like this, personally. Being neither all that prolific a gamer nor willing to comb through all the bajillion or so reviews/web sites/media hype-fests which inevitably spring up around each and every game that gets released, but still enjoying the odd romp every now and again, these sorts of lists throw out the names of games that I might possibly enjoy, that someone else out there (in this case, three someones) thought were pretty darn good, but that I probably haven't played yet. What order they happen to be in is compeltely irrelevant.

My only complaint with this particular list is that it's a little too broad in scope. "All time" and "all genres", even for just the PC, picks up a lot of fluff . . . "fluff" being defined as "things I probably wouldn't bother playing".

It'd be nice if people could put way their personal preferences and look for games that represent a pinnacle of a genre or are important for the gaming industry as a whole. IGN is attempting to do that, although they aren't doing very well at it.

For example, I dislike RTS and FPS games. But I would put Half-Life and Starcraft on my top ten list because they are a high point in their genre, and in many ways transcend the genre itself. My list would go like this:

10. Starcraft

9. Zork

8. Dues Ex

7. Baldur's Gate

6. Front Page Sports Football (95 I think? Madden learned all its tricks from them)

5. King's Quest Series

4. Half-Life

3. Fallout

2. Doom

1. Xcom

Honestly, this list could change n the next few minutes. As will IGN's list.

I dunno...I kinda think if there's a Diablo on that list, it might be Diablo2, not the first one.

1 or 2, it wouldn't matter really.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

1 or 2, it wouldn't matter really.

True enough. :lol:

It's just on other lists I've seen, D2 is often used, probably because it's still played by a regular fanbase, and many think it surpasses the first as a genre game - which it probably does.

HL2? Check. Good, it should be there.

BG2? Check. It too should be there.

Simcity 2000? WTF? :lol:

Starcraft? Check, it (too) should be there

Age of Kings 2? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Sim City 2000 ruled, I played that for endless hours when it came out.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "