NWN2: Discussion

metadigital

My Khelgar pretty much sweeped the floor with Lorne. I used recomended button when leveling him. Though, once I gave him one to dex instead of str. I did agree what Neeshka proposed before fighting Lorne. She was my chaotic babe; a perfect match for good warlock. :*

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

It's like the Werewolf in bloodlines... except Lorne can actually be killed.

:*

:(

Anyway...........

On a more serious note: I found Lorne to be easy.

Just run away from him and then zap him with spells when he slows down after that berzerkthing wears off.

No haste, no frills.

Stick to the outside walls of the arena so he doesn't corner you.

Piece of cake. :)

My FB brought Lorne down to 0 pretty easily. I found that moving around the arena in a diamond shape was the best way to avoid Lorne. It really sucked bringing Lorne down to 0 almost right away and then having to spend what seemed like hours running around the arena. (and dealing with all the fight bugs)

I might give those options a try. I am going to try a different character build as well. A halfling monk designed to not get hit. maximum parry, all the feats designed to not get hit, very very very high dexterity.

I might not do a lot of damage but I won't get hit.

I will give Lorne one more try with my mage later. :)

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I will give Lorne one more try with my mage later.  ;)

Since you're an arcane spellcaster thy this: right at the beginning of the fight hit pause and quckly enable Defensive Casting. Next, try to hit

Lorne

with a Slow spell before he goes into frenzy. Since he's a warrior his Reflex saves are low so he's fairly susceptible to it. Follow that up with a Haste spell on yourself and the fight becomes ridiculously easy. :) In the end, just finish him off with a few evocation spells.

I'm going to take this opportunity to say that I just finished NWN1 OC for the first time. Next I'll finish the expansions and then move on to NWN2, so I'll be able to tell you guys how I feel about the second game when directly compared to the first.

Moreover, I had to kill Aribeth. I would've rather not killed her, but she insisted. No matter what I did, I could not not kill. It's kind of funny actually. Aribeth refused to see any reason. My poor Half-Orc Barbarian didn't have enough charisma to stop her from attacking me after the convo which triggers when one beats her to almost-death. I tried to save or *persuade* her a few times (I saved the game before the conversation) and then just gave up when she was still a jerk. Then I realized how bad I didn't feel, and I remembered how she was a jerk the whole game with that haughty, smug voice.

In conclusion, the ending of my run through the game actually fits her character well, since I thought she was rather shallow anyway. It would've been even more cheesy if I could simply change her bloodthirsty mind after punching her a few times and having a little chat.

I'll be back when I finally start NWN2 after I finish the SoU and HotU campaigns. I think a couple patches will be out by then to save me from major bug annoyance.

Edited by Blank

Incidentally, which NPCs did you guys have show up the night before your Lorne bout? In my game I had Elanee (wanting to run away with me away from civilization), Sand (conjuring up the uber potion), Shandra (just for kicks...and maybe concern), and of course Khelgar (volunteering his dwarven self).

But what's this about Neeshka showing up, Muso? I've always heard that bitch Qara can show up, but you know, she never like left the Sunken Flagon (until higher levels when she became an uber sorc

but sadly the traitorous bitch turned on me!

).

manthing2.jpg

Incidentally, which NPCs did you guys have show up the night before your Lorne bout?  In my game I had Elanee (wanting to run away with me away from civilization), Sand (conjuring up the uber potion), Shandra (just for kicks...and maybe concern), and of course Khelgar (volunteering his dwarven self). 

But what's this about Neeshka showing up, Muso?  I've always heard that bitch Qara can show up, but you know, she never like left the Sunken Flagon (until higher levels when she became an uber sorc

but sadly the traitorous bitch turned on me!

).

The NPC's that show up are determined by your influence level with them. I have never had Sand show up for me, however I have had (counting both run throughs) Elanee, Shandra, Khelgar, Casavir, Neeshka and Qara.

I will give Lorne one more try with my mage later.  :p

Since you're an arcane spellcaster thy this: right at the beginning of the fight hit pause and quckly enable Defensive Casting. Next, try to hit

Lorne

with a Slow spell before he goes into frenzy. Since he's a warrior his Reflex saves are low so he's fairly susceptible to it. Follow that up with a Haste spell on yourself and the fight becomes ridiculously easy. :bat: In the end, just finish him off with a few evocation spells.

Nitpick: Slow requires a will save, not reflex. Although the point about warrior-types not being likely to save remains true.

I'm still in chapter 1 (although at what I believe is the very end, in the Githyanki Lair), but I'm looking forward to this fight. I don't mind the spoilers that much-- it's pretty obvious from the cutscenes I've gotten so far that I'm going to have to deal with this oaf. The fact that it's 1-on-1, though, makes it more intruiging.

Incidentally, which NPCs did you guys have show up the night before your Lorne bout? 

In my first game I got Khelgar, Elanee and Shandra and on my second playthrough I got Qara, Neeshka and Bishop. Quara and Khelgar both offered to take my place and Neeshka wanted to sabotage Lorne's armor. Although Bishop didn't volunteer to fight for he openly laid out the whole the "run away and hit him once he's out of frenzy" strategy, in great detail I might add.

Nitpick:  Slow requires a will save, not reflex.  Although the point about warrior-types not being likely to save remains true.

Sorry, my bad, but since warriors have pitiful will saves as well it's still a good strategy. :bat: Anyway, the trick is to get him slowed before he goes into Frenzy. That way he'll be crawling around for the rest of the fight and that'll make it easy for you to stay well away from him and pick him off with ranged attacks or spells. I did this with my Warlock by using a few scrolls of Slow (courtesy of Sand and his Scribe Scroll feat) and it worked out fine. :cool:

Nah, my halfling monk is doing quite well so far. With her current gear and development she has up to 29 AC. By the time I get to Lorne with her I am betting it will be above 30. Also I have been maxing out parry and tumble, and I plan on getting improved parry with her. When complete naked, well as naked as the Amish allows in public, she has an armor class of 20.

That with the falming gloves she can put the smack down on anyone within a few rounds. Currently she has an attack spread of +16/+16/+11 with flurry of blows.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

SPOILERS

a mage with a couple invisibility spells memorized shouldn't have too much trouble w/lorne. memorize grease a number o' times as well... web ain't bad neither. should have that cloak that makes you immune to web, right? spam him with webs and greases and hit him with a bunch o' damage spells. he gets too close, then turn invisible...

don't forget that you can makes scrolls... and as per our earlier suggestion in thread, qara makes a wonderful crafter of weapons, wondrous items, and wands. get yourself a wand 'o invisibility and a wand o' displacement and maybe a wand o' elemental shield too.

btw, 1 level o' rogue is back to being almost a no-brainer for nwn2... likes it were when 3.0 first came off the press. obsidian gives all races access to able learner, so a wizard with high intelligence shoulds be able to gets tumble and umd and thiefy skills... as well as spellcraft and concentration. or you can go social route and max bluff/diplomacy/intimidate/taunt.

a 1/X rogue/wizard strongheart hafling or human is good at everything... and the ability to use wands of sanctuary makes fights like the lorne battle relative easy even on highest difficulty setting. that being said, with lorne doing 200% damage, 1 hit and your wizard is gonna be dead. still gotta be careful.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Just out of curiosity, what is the rogue level supposed to accomplish?

with able learner, cross class skills = 1point per level. am not caring how smarty your wizard is, those cross-class skills get pretty costly w/o able learner feat. 1 level of rogue not change fact that each time you level as a mage all of those thiefy skills is cross-class.

10th level mage with okie dokie intel can have 13 ranks in umd, tumble, spellcraft, concentration and a couple other skills too.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Moreover, I had to kill Aribeth. I would've rather not killed her, but she insisted. No matter what I did, I could not not kill. It's kind of funny actually. Aribeth refused to see any reason. My poor Half-Orc Barbarian didn't have enough charisma to stop her from attacking me after the convo which triggers when one beats her to almost-death. I tried to save or *persuade* her a few times (I saved the game before the conversation) and then just gave up when she was still a jerk. Then I realized how bad I didn't feel, and I remembered how she was a jerk the whole game with that haughty, smug voice.

In conclusion, the ending of my run through the game actually fits her character well, since I thought she was rather shallow anyway. It would've been even more cheesy if I could simply change her bloodthirsty mind after punching her a few times and having a little chat.

That's okay; whether you talk her down or not has no effect on the end result (which is so often the case in NWN's OC), since Nasher proves to be just as unreasonable. I did everything I could to save her, but no dice.

I enjoyed NWN's OC for the most part, but some of the contrivances, and the inability to reason with most of the important characters even with godly dialog skills, really annoyed me. SoU starts you out fresh with a new level 1 character and a different story. HotU was my favorite campaign of the three, by far.

a mage with a couple invisibility spells memorized shouldn't have too much trouble w/lorne. 

Just a quick note on that point. Lorne has an amulet of true seeing or something that allows him to see invisible, so hiding with invisibility won't work.

incorrect.

SPOILER

the amulet o' truth is a gift from lord naboob... or whatever his name is. perhaps lorne can see invisible, but sanctuary works 'gainst him very well indeed.

HA! Good Fun!

incorrect. 

I wasn't talking about the reward after the fight. Sanctuary might work, however I know that invisibility itself does not work. I've attempted to use it against him only to have him keep attacking me while I'm under the effects of the spell. The toolset doesn't show him as having anything, or at least not that I can tell, so it's a little confusing, but I swear I heard someone saying that he had an amulet of true seeing. <_<

**** OBSIDIAN! NWN2 is the biggest let down i've had for a long bloody time. You're the worst game developing company ever. Everyone who wants to roleplay: Just get Oblivion and roleplay with yourself.

;)

http://www.nwn2rome.co.uk/

:crazy:

I had this Rift Vu when reading that page

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)