NWN2: Discussion

metadigital

On one hand, I wish I could see everything on the first playthrough, but the other part of me wants having completely different play styles and outcomes.

Well, a few years ago when I was a nerdier RPG player, I'd have said "That's true freedom!", but that's just not case in reality. I guess that's the "issue" with quest-based games: The devs have to create tons of content and the connections are insanely complex, and you only get to see a piece of it. No time or motivation to replay it, either. So it's clearly understandable that more devs are forced to make the design more "slimmed down" with all the rising costs. It's even a wonder the NWN2 OC turned out to be 50-60 hours long, something I wouldn't even expect from Bioware.

I just checked, it's Orlen :blink:

Elvis.

For real, every time I hear him talk, I can't think of anything else. 'Elvis isn't dead, he just went home.'--MIB.

Gods, I am so glad I am not the only one who made that connection. My roommate thought I was insane for picturing Orlen as Elvis.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Axel is the head of the Shadow Thieves. You don't interact with him at all in the game if you go the path of the Watch.

The armor given to you by Nasher (NWN9 Tunic) requires you to have levels in the NWN) PrC, not just accepting to join them.

really? Gromnir got tunic w/o no levels... we simply accepted knighthood.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Axel is the head of the Shadow Thieves. You don't interact with him at all in the game if you go the path of the Watch.

The armor given to you by Nasher (NWN9 Tunic) requires you to have levels in the NWN) PrC, not just accepting to join them.

really? Gromnir got tunic w/o no levels... we simply accepted knighthood.

HA! Good Fun!

You get the armour automatically, but you can't wear it unlesss you have the Neverwinter Nine class.

How high UMD is required in order to wear the NWN armour then?

I also decided to put my Eldritch Knight on hold and start up a Warlock instead and choose to go with the

thieves in the dock

instead. Out of curiosity, how will joining them affect the ending? Will it have an interesting effect or is it simply the "evil" choice out of the two factions?

Edited by Berserk

How high UMD is required? I decided to put my Eldritch Knight on hold and start up a Warlock instead and choose to go with the

thieves in the dock

instead. Out of curiosity, how will joining them affect the ending?

Depends on how you play through it. There are 2 ending slides regarding the Thieves Guild quests. The first one details how your efforts make Neverwinter a haven for the Thieves Guild, and how they eventually take over the city and enforce their own "Dark Law". Also, you'll eventually you'll be given a choice regarding the Thieves Guild leadership, and the other slide will reflect what your choice was.

Edited by Pop

How high UMD is required? I decided to put my Eldritch Knight on hold and start up a Warlock instead and choose to go with the

thieves in the dock

Depends on how you play through it. There are 2 ending slides regarding the Thieves Guild quests. The first one details how your efforts make Neverwinter a haven for the Thieves Guild, and how they eventually take over the city and enforce their own "Dark Law". Also, you'll eventually you'll be given a choice regarding the Thieves Guild leadership, and the other slide will reflect what your choice was.

I take it that Nasher gets his ass handed to him then? Sweet! Guess I'll start over with my CG Warlock then. Regarding the choice between the leaders, is it only doom and gloom or is one of them actually halfway decent?

thieves in the dock

I take it that Nasher gets his ass handed to him then? Sweet! Guess I'll start over with my CG Warlock then. Regarding the choice between the leaders, is it only doom and gloom or is one of them actually halfway decent?

I don't know if Nasher gets his ass handed to him, he's not really mentioned in any of the end slideshows I've earned. It's safe to assume he wouldn't be very happy with thieves being the power in his city.

As for the leaders, one of them is pretty obviously chaotic evil, a despotic smash-all-dissidence type, and the other is lawful evil / lawful neutral, who runs the guild like a business and takes a wiser "long view" of the way things should be. I've only beaten it with the lawful guy, and it's not a "good" ending (none of the thieves are "good") but it's not exactly gloomy.

anybody notice that they ain't getting weapon finesse with rapiers in 1.03? we puts rapier in neeshka hands and not seems to get dex bonus.

am not yet sure if it is a neeshka problem or a rapier problem or some other problem... gotta test a little further.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

anybody notice that they ain't getting weapon finesse with rapiers in 1.03?  we puts rapier in neeshka hands and not seems to get dex bonus. 

Hmm, it seems to work fine in my game. I've tested it with a generic Rapier +3 vs. a generic Club +3, both purchased from Jacoby in the keep's courtyard. When wielding the Club Neeshka used her STR modifier (+1) and when wielding the Rapier she used her DEX modifier (+5) so it worked properly. This was reflected both on her character sheet and in the combat log.

Thanks for the headsup. There weren't any that added anything like the command bar back when I was actually still playing. I'll keep it in mind as a possibility for my next playthrough. :thumbsup:

No problem. :shifty: BTW, xUI's my favorite simply because it's completely modular and you get to choose exactly which elements of it you want to install and use.

Edited by aVENGER

Interesting note, I found that after updating to 1.03, some of the fixes weren't working and some might've broke other stuff. I.e., people were talking about Neeshka having a tail, and I didn't see no tail. Even if I started a new game. Not only that, but updating in the middle of the campaign hosed up my PC's leveling big-time--he got hit by a massive XP penalty all at once. I finally blew away the installation, reinstalled, and let it update directly to 1.03 ... and found out there's a LOT of stuff I wasn't seeing.

It wasn't just my machine or my installation, either--my daughter thought I was having her on about the tail until I showed her a screenshot. She's terminally stubborn; but I'd recommend the same for anybody who followed the update path like I did. (You can keep your save games. But it goes without saying that you might have to start fresh, if your PC got wonked like mine did--the fixes aren't retroactive.)

Well, I finally finished the official campaign.

I liked the mechanics of the game. There were some bugs. But most seem to be getting fixed in the patches.

I liked the story overall, but found it a little rough in execution. There is little evidence that the deficiencies of the story execution will be fixed in patches.

Aside from story issues the game got dramatically more difficult and tricksie near the end. I didn't like that at all.

Obsidian may be developing a Troika like reputation for unfinished execution of otherwise excellent concepts. They need to stop that. This game would be a good opportunity to find out what it takes to correct those deficiencies - so that succeeding development plans account for the need to get the story execution right in the details and well as the outline.

I give it an 8.0.

I'll play it again. And am looking forward to the sequel. Heh.

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

I just noticed something slightly amusing on my cloth map. It looks like the location of crossroad keep is called "Helms Hold" on the map. I wonder if they were "borrowing" a bit of inspiration from The Two Towers.

Anyway, I had the "oddest" combat with a duo of dragons that I can remember (ok, so it's the only game where I've ever fought two dragons at the same time but never mind that). Trying to do less powerplay and just bring a mix of party members to see Nolaloth, I brough Zhjaaeve (Sp?), Grobnar, Sand and Elanee (and myself, an Eldritch knight). As it turned out, it wasn't much of a fight. Sand brought down the hitpoints of the first enemy with two well placed Meteor Swarms. Easy kill, even for a non combat oriented party. Now for the real killer... Sand killed the second dragon outright with a finger of death spell. They hadn't even chewed their way through my first stoneskin yet before they were lying on their backs, all four limbs jutting into the air. I guess even dragons can fail their fortitude save... :-

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein