NWN2: Discussion

metadigital

Beat the game a second time, this time with a Warlock, and this time doing right most of that which I got wrong the first time, namely

Crossroads Keep, which I managed correctly and got about 2,000 peasants, soldiers and merchants total to man it, and the ending was different as a result. One of my gripes the first time I played was that Kana wasn't accounted for in the epilogue, and she was this time, if not just because I did better. However, I failed to craft the golem. Again. First time around I couldn't find the ink, this time around I couldn't find the rune. Must've missed it.

All in all, I liked the thieves' guild branch more than the city watch branch. It seemed fuller and more elaborate, but I may have neglected a few city watch quests first time around. And my second playthrough only reinforced my notion that MCA intends for the Shard-Bearer to go planar in the future.

My second playthrough saw a better Keep as well... some bugs with upgrading meant I couldn't get maximum weapons and armour last time, and so forth. Didn't see too much of a difference... but using diff. characters meant I got Bishop's prompt this time (

wanna run away?

), I had the Construct this time, etc. However, I didn't stop to watch the ending and see how it changed - I had forgotten about the possibility of a different ending, but was rather concerned with alt-F4'ing out of the horrible narration.

Really, it was an instinctive reaction!

My second playthrough saw a better Keep as well... some bugs with upgrading meant I couldn't get maximum weapons and armour last time, and so forth. Didn't see too much of a difference... but using diff. characters meant I got Bishop's prompt this time (

wanna run away?

), I had the Construct this time, etc. However, I didn't stop to watch the ending and see how it changed - I had forgotten about the possibility of a different ending, but was rather concerned with alt-F4'ing out of the horrible narration.

Really, it was an instinctive reaction!

that should be re-narrated

IB1OsQq.png

I even didn't realize how to improve other parts of the castle. I mean I got the Ore, which allowed me to upgrade my men's weapons to "Good". The training was "Very Good", but the moral was "Low". I also upgraded pretty much everything in the Keep, the fortification and the surroundings.

But still I didn't get any Seargents (except Bevil), or any Armor Upgrades or a way to improve morality or armor (although I had a Blacksmith).

There was also a quest in my journal to meet Axel, but I never found him. And what the heck is that about the golem?

Dammit, I missed so many things.... Where and what was I supposed to do else?

Axle Devrie is still in his mansion in Neverwinter. He gives you a quest to kill Moire. You can kill her, or kill Axle, or do both, or neither. Just them trying to add in some closure... works alright I guess.

The Construct? Without looking at outside-game resources, it's hard to pick up clues unless you carry Grobnar around regularly. The ingredients needed are listed somewhere, use the Search in bioforums. One is the Glowstone caves, have Grobnar approach the pool of water opposite the glowstone for the liquid; the Rune in some plot-necessary fortress, I think Ammon's Haven, then a Book you find I htink in the Crossroads Keep library.

Moral is dependent on the Sergeants you recruit I believe. Katriona at Old Owl Well, Light of Heavens who you find and fight in Neverwinter, Port Llast and C. Keep, Bevil who shows up, etc. Joy the dancer from Neverwinter very probably helps with moral.

Also you gotta order your men to do stuff and take missions. There are things regarding town charter and that crazy band of noob adventurers that's a throwback to TOB.

You don't get sergeants, you find them. Casavir's second in command over at Old Owl Well, is one, Light of Heavens in Merchant's District (act III only) is another. And the bodyguard of the Luskan who wants to kidnap Qara a third. I think that's all of them, but I could be forgetting someone.

Morale is contingent on armor, weapons and special missions I believe. Maybe sergeants help with that as well (and I do think they help with special missions.

As for weapons and armor, the highest level you can reach is Best in both categories. So keep upgrading. In order to upgrade armor, you need an armorsmith as opposed to the weaponsmith you've already got. He can be found in the village that was besieged by Lizardmen (the name escapes me at the moment).

Axel is in his home in the Merchant's District, so finding him shouldn't be too much trouble.

The golem can be activated if you find glowing ink, book of golem craft and sample of the original runes. He's a decent fighter, no more, no less. Given the troubles activating him, I expected more out of it. Also, it can turn on you in the last battle if your influence is low with Bishop and Grobnar.

I even didn't realize how to improve other parts of the castle. I mean I got the Ore, which allowed me to upgrade my men's weapons to "Good". The training was "Very Good", but the moral was "Low". I also upgraded pretty much everything in the Keep, the fortification and the surroundings.

But still I didn't get any Seargents (except Bevil), or any Armor Upgrades or a way to improve morality or armor (although I had a Blacksmith).

There was also a quest in my journal to meet Axel, but I never found him. And what the heck is that about the golem?

Dammit, I missed so many things.... Where and what was I supposed to do else?

Heavy spoiler warning:

I managed to get Bevil (from the tutorial), Katriona (Casavirs ex-sergeant at old owls well) and a dude whose name I can't remember (the female walrus from the hosttowers henchman during an ambush, you can bribe him to switch sides).

Torio also hinted at, that you could get Guyven of the road as a scout, but I never managed to find him again.

The Golem is the one that gets abused by the two succubi during an earlier encounter (lucky bastard). You need to find some spare parts and some juice for him. Grobnar has some helpful info. The glowing liquid in the SECOND pool below duskwood is what you need to power him.

The oversized spider you recruit is very good at knitting.

The Ironfist dwarfs will settle down in the Inn, the Lizard men in your basement.

Torio, UNcus, Wolf and a slew of other characters will make it their new home too if you let them.

I think this time I'll turn the church into a monastery and see what difference it makes.

There is plenty of ore in the game. Enough to make very good armour and very good weapons and then some to spare which you never get any use for.

Did I forget anything?

:mellow:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Guyven is bugged. You must find him in 3 locations, then offer him your 'hearth', after which he shows up in the Keep kitchen. I did it all and no deal. He has a nice 'find' for you if he does show up, though.

Other than that, Gorth covered everything, I think.

Ah thanks for some clues.

Oh yes, and uhh...*Spoilers alert*

Yes, I knew about that golem who got bothered by those two Succubus ladies. But that's about it. I never really traveled with Grobnar except for that silly Whaterwhatever creatures, which turned out to be a flop.

I already convinced the Ironfist's and the lizardmen to fight on my side.

But Axel? I swear he was in the Blacklake district the whole time, it was even marked on the map before. But then that district (same goes for Owls Well) wasn't accessible on the world map anymore. Hmmm....Either way, can't find those buggers when the place vanishes on the map.

And I knew about the weapons, but I never found an option to improve the armor.

Oh well, nonetheless I pushed the foe back. Still, it hurts to read through these posts and realizing how many things I actually missed.... Damn. About time to replay it I guess. :mellow:

The most annoying thing however was that I only managed to conclude 2 of 3 trials for Kelghar. And what about Quara? She was my favorite Sorcerer of all times! Was there a quest available for her, like Neeshka and the others?

Edited by Morgoth

Yes, I knew about that golem who got bothered by those two Succubus ladies. But that's about it. I never really traveled with Grobnar except for that silly Whaterwhatever creatures, which turned out to be a flop.

But Axel? I swear he was in the Blacklake district the whole time, it was even marked on the map before. But then that district (same goes for Owls Well) wasn't accessible on the world map anymore. Hmmm....Either way, can't find those buggers when the place vanishes on the map.

Oh well, nonetheless I pushed the foe back. Still, it hurts to read through these posts and realizing how many things I actually missed.... Damn. About time to replay it I guess. ;)

The most annoying thing however that bugged me was that I only managed to conclude 2 of 3 trials for Kelghar. And what about Quara? She was my favorite Sorcerer of all times! Was there a quest available for her, like Neeshka and the others?

Regarding the armour, didn't you get both the weapon smith and the armour smith?

Add to that 1 Dancer, Deekin, A dark elf merchant, Sal the barkeeper, two miners, the farmer from west harbour (the one who complained wbout the cheater with the enlarged pig). I'm not very good at remembering names :mellow:

Edit: The dancer is Light of Heavens sister of all things.

Edited by Gorth

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Oh well, nonetheless I pushed the foe back. Still, it hurts to read through these posts and realizing how many things I actually missed.... Damn. About time to replay it I guess. ;)

The most annoying thing however that bugged me was that I only managed to conclude 2 of 3 trials for Kelghar. And what about Quara? She was my favorite Sorcerer of all times! Was there a quest available for her, like Neeshka and the others?

Regarding the armour, didn't you get both the weapon smith and the armour smith?

Add to that 1 Dancer, Deekin, A dark elf merchant, Sal the barkeeper, two miners, the farmer from west harbour (the one who complained wbout the cheater with the enlarged pig). I'm not very good at remembering names :mellow:

Yeah I got the dancer. Deekin? Too late, I already employed that dark elf merchant from Luskan. Sal the Barkeeper, sure, he was just there. The two miners, checked. The pig farmer? How? West harbor was a wastland.

And again. I got every building occupied, but only had that weapon smith available. I swear I checked the map but never found anything else.

Yeah I got the dancer. Deekin? Too late, I already employed that dark elf merchant from Luskan. Sal the Barkeeper, sure, he was just there. The two miners, checked. The pig farmer? How? West harbor was a wastland.

And again. I got every building occupied, but only had that weapon smith available. I swear I checked the map but never found anything else.

Soon after you get the keep, go visit West Harbour. Was it "Orden" ? he'll decide that there is nothing left for him and go to Crossroad Keep. You can have both Deekin and the dark elf merchant. As for the armour smith, one of the armour smiths you run across is not really happy with where he is, but he can't afford to move to Waterdeep or wherever it is he wants to go to some day. He'll upgrade armour the same way the weapon smith upgrades your weapons.

I've only sided with the neverwinter nine so far, so I don't know if the tower has other purposes. Same thing for the the church. Next time, I'll try to let the monk have the building.

But Axel? I swear he was in the Blacklake district the whole time, it was even marked on the map before. But then that district (same goes for Owls Well) wasn't accessible on the world map anymore.

Except Axel was never in Blacklake. He's always been in Merchant's District. And that's still there. His hideout may not be marked on the map in Chapter III, but it's still there.

The tower can be given to NWN9, a wizard or made into a gambling den (and the drow can be sent working there if that's the case). Not sure how you go about making it a gambling den, I've never had that offered to me. The difference between NWN9 and Wizard is neglible. You get different items in the store but that's it. Oh, and you can't train with the NWN9 guy (me and names today) so you lose out on a +1 BAB.

Edited by Spider

Orden, yes. It is a very narrow window when you can visit WH and still get him - but it makes sense because you would naturally go to WH to close the What Happened to Lorne? Quest, which was probably cut down to size. So original vision, IMO, was that the full blown Lorne quest would have its epilogue in the words of his mother, then on the way out you'd talk to Orden.

The tower has other purposes. A mage called star something will teleport in and commission a wizard's tower - I found its items more useful. Church, monk.. not too much difference IMO. just slightly different kind of shop.

I just checked, it's Orlen :mellow:

I'm not sure, since I simply did "the grand tour" after getting the keep and talked to everybody. Wasn't the armour smith the guy from fort Locke?

Edited by Gorth

And an additional quest if the main character is a monk. And the monk shop has some good items for a monk, although if you're not a monk yourself or have turned Khelgar into one, it's pretty useless. A high UMD could change that of course.

I'm not sure, since I simply did "the grand tour" after getting the keep and talked to everybody. Wasn't the armour smith the guy from fort Locke?

One is in Fort Locke, the other in Highcliff. I'll be damned if I can remember which is which. I probably got it wring the first time.

Edited by Spider

But Axel? I swear he was in the Blacklake district the whole time, it was even marked on the map before. But then that district (same goes for Owls Well) wasn't accessible on the world map anymore.

Except Axel was never in Blacklake. He's always been in Merchant's District. And that's still there. His hideout may not be marked on the map in Chapter III, but it's still there.

Ahh, yes. Okay, it was the Merchant disctrict. Never found the mark there however, that's why I thought he must be in Blacklake. Oh well, I think I'm getting old....

And yes, I occupied the tower with the NW9, and I think I even got an armor from Nasher or his lackey before, but never could use it (?).

Overall, I think Act 3 ist the weakest part in NWN2, since all quests are dedicated to prepare the castle from the assault and find the villains. Like I'm playing Medieval 2 here....

What's the story with this Axel guy. I seem to be missing something :mellow:

Axel is the head of the Shadow Thieves. You don't interact with him at all in the game if you go the path of the Watch.

The armor given to you by Nasher (NWN9 Tunic) requires you to have levels in the NWN) PrC, not just accepting to join them.

Axel is the head of the Shadow Thieves. You don't interact with him at all in the game if you go the path of the Watch.

I've got a rogue (to be assassin) lined up for my next game, once I complete the current one. I'll probably find out then :D

The most annoying thing however was that I only managed to conclude 2 of 3 trials for Kelghar. And what about Quara? She was my favorite Sorcerer of all times! Was there a quest available for her, like Neeshka and the others?

Now that I think of it, this post kind of highlights what can go wrong with non-linearity in games (not that I'm implying that NWN2 was non-linear). Right now I want to replay NWN2 because I have missed or messed up a lot of things in the game, but I simply don't have time to do it. :mellow:

On one hand, I wish I could see everything on the first playthrough, but the other part of me wants having completely different play styles and outcomes.