NWN2: Discussion

metadigital

I think that WotC has a major stick up their ass. I would love to have a rated M or AO Dungeons and Dragons CRPG.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Eh? :blink:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

:)

:blink:

:joy:

what were the point of fin's spam?  anybody?

HA! Good Fun!

I assume he felt he was tidying up .. importing an off-topic comment from another thread.

He quotes some of the interesting ideas or comments for the developers, they look at those more closely.

PS: Gromnir you're funny that you say that F is spamming. :blink:

IB1OsQq.png

For the first time ever, someone has said "stop being obtuse" and wasn't talking to you, Hades.

now ss, you is cheating vol and sargy of their due.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

hasbro owns wotc. assume for a moment that wotc wants to do mature stuff ('cause their print material makes obvious that they is willing to do more adult if they get chance.) do you s'pose they gots carte blanche to do so?

is not simple... and fact that tolkienesque and disneyfied fantasy still sells very is hardly motivating wotc to makes serious changes to policy.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I guess it wouldn't be helpful to point out that the European Limited Editions of NwN2 have NwN, and both expansions, on a DVD.

I'm afraid not.

I've bought NWN2 in two seperate boxes having one DVD in each, in other words, two DVD package. One DVD has NWN2 game and the other DVD has access to toolset, in game items and a fan kit. Nothing related with NWN1 series unfortunately.

However, I've connected to the internet address of the store I've bought this game(D&R) and asked them to sell also NWN1 series like a Diamond Edition or Collector's Edition including all NWN1 series with official campaign and expansions in it, if possible. Seeing NWN2 in my hands as a reality, not a dream, I have some hope to buy also the NWN1 series from the stores in Istanbul.

NWN1 Official Campaign was the first RPG I've played in my life and turned me into an RPG addictive who fell in love with Aribeth for some time. For now I can say I'm not in love with Aribeth anymore, but it wasn't easy for me to forget her. ^_^

The Illuminator

Democracy starts with allowing different political opinions to express themselves.

Fascism starts with killling all, who has different political opinions than yours.

It's a pity for earth as it is full of fascists claiming to be democratic.

BG2 Silver Sword was better.

Sarevok + Vorpal.

:whistle:

Last page someone commented about... ah, yes, KoS. He really needed a better dialogue section; I feel that coupled with the Arvahn Gem Mines, he could really have been a cool enemy. As it is, the nature of undevelopment was such that the background ended up being hackety and artificial, stupid and ineffective. You know, yeah, sure, he has all this stuff, started off Good, and evil forces, blah blah. Didn't have to be that way though - I'm not talking about KoS having "human attributes" and having all the memory of before and begs for death and release or something silly like that. You would still be speaking to a KoS that has lost his humanity (or somethinganity) and much memories, and is more like a construct wound by conflicting and unreasonable obligations and duties, which create that giant which is blind to its own contradictions and tragedies, and can only inexorably, insentiently, even, march on (to your pointy sticks of doom). As it is, it was merely a precursor to the stupid ending.

hasbro owns wotc.  assume for a moment that wotc wants to do mature stuff ('cause their print material makes obvious that they is willing to do more adult if they get chance.) do you s'pose they gots carte blanche to do so?

is not simple... and fact that tolkienesque and disneyfied fantasy still sells very is hardly motivating wotc to makes serious changes to policy.

HA! Good Fun!

As I recall WoTC "had" to make their changes after they were bought.

Book of Vile Darkness for example had to go after that occured, and most M rated things were only allowed by third parties and then only if they used the licence thing WoTC had set up.

Hasbro seems to have them on a pretty tight leash.

Hm, I'm kind of puzzled by that statement... can we actually make Bishop choose the archery style now? Does it only work if the protagonist is a Ranger as well or something? I'm starting a new game and I'd prefer for Bishop to be a full scale archer so I'd like to know if/how that can be achieved. Any ideas?

I haven't played far enough with the patch to see if Bishop is working properly now, but that would be my guess. But otherwise there is a fairly simple solution - the console. Just use it to remove the dual wield feats and give him the archery ones and that's that.

The feats to be removed are:

and the ones to add:

I'm not sure at what level he is supposed to gain the last one though, but it says in the ranger description.

didn't like the UBG for nwn2. why go cheap and make Guardian easy evil? has Guardian simply be carrying out his impossible goal of trying to save/preserve a dead empire and you got a better bad guy w/o all the shadow weave nonsense. heck, you can even keeps in all the undead... only way to resurrect a dead civilization maybe would be through undeath.

*shrug*

could have been far more sympathetic, w/o loss of threat.

*SPOILERZ*

I think what Obs was trying to convey was that the KoS was not really evil. He was a blind idiot machine. The Shadow Weave stuff makes sense given FR lore. When Karsus magicked himself into Godhead and caused the Netheril cataclysm, the Weave from which all magic drew dried up for an instant. All the mythals that had been maintained by Netheril went haywire. The flying cities crashed to the ground, dead and wild magic zones popped up, all that jazz.

The KoS was basically a walking mythal maintained by the weave. When Karsus initiated the cataclysm, the KoS got ****ed up just like all the other sustained spells. I'm not completely sure about the whole story story, but I think when the Weave was weakened by the cataclysm, it stopped being able to provide the magical fuel that powered the war engine that was the Guardian. Without the sustenance, the Guardian started wasting away.

But the thing was that normal magic doesn't draw from the Shadow Weave, so when the cataclysm took place, the Shadow Weave wasn't weakened in the way the vanilla Weave was. The powerful spells that drove the Guardian were no longer sustainable by the Weave, so instead of failing, they took the path of least resistance as some manner of magical physics, and started feeding off the robust power supply of the Shadow Weave. But the Shadow Weave, while powerful, was a corrupting force, and thus not only was the Guardian's purpose corrupted, causing him to turn on those who created him, but the walking mythal that the Guardian was became this tremendous beacon of negative power, and he became the KoS. There was an immense amount of epic Shadow Weave magic emanating from the Guardian, and he became like a natural open conduit to the negative energy plane, thus by his very presence the land became barren and the dead turned to undead.

It's all still kind of confusing, and I agree that he wasn't that compelling of a villain, but I don't think it's because there was any inherent flaw in his design. I think had Obs elaborated upon the story and the nature of the KoS he would have been. The fact that the KoS threat is completely the result of chance rather than hubris or dark design were kind of beside the point in the game. There wasn't much of an element of tragedy. I didn't feel bad about having to destroy the KoS, nor did I get much sense that I was supposed to, despite this backstory. He might have well have been some inscrutable menace from a distant world who didn't need explaining.

There are still some things I was confused about. What exactly was causing the KoS to "come back"? Was it the efforts of Garius? Was he naturally waxing in power out there under the Mere?

The function of the Guardian was, always, to protect the Netheril Empire in a proactive sense. The Guardian recognised the events immediately after its corruption as an invasion and destruction of the Netheril Empire. Now, upon its foundations, live people and exist civilisations that are completely unrelated. In the Guardian's line of "thinking", rather like a computer program, it recognises that the Netheril empire and its people are no longer free, in power (or even alive), and sees all occupants of these lands as threats to the resurgence of the Netheril. Of course, both because the empire is extinct and because KoS is all darky darky now, the only way it can accomplish this is through a sort of undead-ification of the land and a creation of some perverse undead shadow of the Empire. This would in the KoS's line of "thought" qualify as a suitable reconstruction of the Empire, and therefore an active fulfilment of its eternal obligation.

BG2 Silver Sword was better.

As if. :p

Nothing beats that swirling wall of sharded death. :p

;)

That's simply awesome. I charged into a pack of blade golems and a reaver with my swirling wall of sharded death, and they were literally dropping like flies as my screen filled up with red double digit damage text bubbles. >_<

manthing2.jpg

The function of the Guardian was, always, to protect the Illfarn Empire in a proactive sense. The Guardian recognised the events immediately after its corruption as an invasion and destruction of the Illfarn Empire. Now, upon its foundations, live people and exist civilisations that are completely unrelated. In the Guardian's line of "thinking", rather like a computer program, it recognises that the Illfarn empire and its people are no longer free, in power (or even alive), and sees all occupants of these lands as threats to the resurgence of the Illfarn. Of course, both because the empire is extinct and because KoS is all darky darky now, the only way it can accomplish this is through a sort of undead-ification of the land and a creation of some perverse undead shadow of the Empire. This would in the KoS's line of "thought" qualify as a suitable reconstruction of the Empire, and therefore an active fulfilment of its eternal obligation.

Fixed. >_<"

Edited by Deraldin

KOS was evil. No matter his original intentions, he fell to evil. This should be undisputable.

Like the 'ol saying goes and works even for non religious types due to the meaning: 'Good intentions often lead to lead to hell". Not exact quote; but the meaning is still true.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Crap. >_<

KOS was evil. No matter his original intentions, he fell to evil. This should be undisputable.

If that was directed at my previous posts, completely irrelevant. I was talking about how compelling he is - and I did say that he shouldnt get the soap drama "But I'm still Good in ma heart and to ma mam" treatment. If not, fire away, not the topic I want to go into.

Well, you are Volourn. Just making sure. >_<

What was so good about the Silver Sword of Gith again? On a pure damage scale I don't remember it being so special, although that may be because my only real melee fighter was Khelgar with his hammers with the appropraite bonus feats. Putting the sword on the wizard wasn't really wise, and probably not for my current rogue.

The KoS was evil, but not through any fault of his own. He did what he thought was necessary to protect the country he obviously loved a little too much. His actions weren't evil, but they led to him being evil by chance.

That's supposed to illicit sympathy from the player. It doesn't work very well. I can tell this without my usual overanalysis, so I think it should have been obvious.

What was so good about the Silver Sword of Gith again? On a pure damage scale I don't remember it being so special, although that may be because my only real melee fighter was Khelgar with his hammers with the appropraite bonus feats. Putting the sword on the wizard wasn't really wise, and probably not for my current rogue.

The silver sword and the Ritual powers were both supposed to be needed to beat the KoS, but the general consensus is that the Ritual powers were not terribly useful. As for the sword, I believe the shadow portal that appears during the last battle can only be destroyed using it.

Edited by Pop