Favorite NWN2 companion

aVENGER

Who is your favorite NWN2 companion?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite NWN2 companion?

• Khelgar
    • Elanee
    • Neeshka
    • Qara
    • Grobnar
    • Casavir
    • Sand
    • Bishop
    • Shandra
    • Ammon Jerro

I've given Grobnar a chance by letting him tag along for a bit. Initially he does blather on annoyingly, very annoyingly, but he gets quieter later on because other NPCs keep telling him to shut up. That's funny. He is a nice guy, underneath all that chatter. His alignment is more attractive to me than Jan's was, and nothing Jan said or did ever came across as funny to me. Annoying yes, funny no.

Jan is hilarious if you just read the first few words (i.e. "This reminds me of my Uncle Borus), skip the rest, then imagine his effect on the rest of your party.

I carried him around a lot, I liked the VO too. :rolleyes:

Edited by Tigranes

• 3 months later...

Elanee & Sand were my favourites. Elanee I don't like all the time, and while she can be unreasonable, most of the time she speaks sense. Sand was quite dry, which I also liked, but I don't feel they did enough with him. Bishop spoke a lot of sense, although I didn't like him in-character because of his ideals - I did like him out of character. Shandra I liked too, but she felt a bit generic. Ammon I like/dislike. He reminds me of Bishop, and both of them annoy me in the lack of responses/see outside the box the way they can makes my character look stupid. Quite honestly, I agree with most of what they say, if not their methods.

Grobnar I dislike most of all; he's whiny, annoying and downright irritating. He might be 'sweet' but he just blabs too much. Damnable gnomes. Neeshka is sweet but also rather immature and annoying. Casavir I'm somewhat sympathetic too, backstory-wise but the rest just annoys me. I don't care for paladins, and almost fallen as he is, he's still a tool. The Gith woman could have been interesting but I don't think they did enough with her, and she just irritates me with her self-righteous babble.

I didn't like the dwarf - his constant bloodlust is not neutral good. While some of what he says is okay and he's an interesting character, I prefer the darker ones like Bishop or the more reserved ones like Elanee. Khelgar's utter lack of subtly combined with Neeshka's rashness and their bitchiness (not helped by Elanee's whining) is fun the first time but grows old quickly. If my guy has such a great assortment of mental stats, then surely the others shouldn't be smarter than he is and having to put up with everyone's whinging is annoying. But that's personal preference - and as such, Elanee gets my vote because she agrees with my character most, although she whines too much. Sand is a close second though.

HK47: Commentary: It is not possible to destroy the master. It is suggested that you run while my blasters warm, meatbags.

Bastila to Revan: You are easily the vainest, most arrogant man I have ever met!

Canderous to Bastila: Insults? Maybe if your master had trained your lightsaber to be as quick as your tongue you could have escaped those Vulkars, you spoiled little Jedi princess!

Neeshka is a great character, she would have made for a fine romance. Elanee is pretty good for a druid and I am not a very big druid fan.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Can't really say which I liked best, almost all had their moments--with the exception of two. So I'll go instead with the most DISliked: Qara and Casivir.

I could not relate to Qara, and dislike her character type. I think she would have been more interesting had she been capable of learning something good or bad from her experiences, or if there was some reason for her to behave the way she did. But there was little or no backstory or character development. Perhaps she was as Ignus had started out (in PST) but she wasn't scary crazy, just annoyingly spoiled.

Casivir had no love either. I wanted to understand his whining, and expected to find some deep dark secret, but he refused to share his past with a male PC. His comments were limited to agree/disagree based on his Paladin class, and nothing more. I began to actively dislike him when he came off the wall at me for no reason near the end of one game (well, I didn't curry influence with him since there seemed to be little point). He wasn't even that good a fighter (Bishop was better/more versatile--and at least I knew where he was coming from), and his AI was just rotten.

Edited by kalimeeri

Obsidian did awesome job with Shandra (one of the few NPC's in games that feel like real people) but I don't really count her as a companion.

So my favorites are Ammon Jerro and Khelgar. No contest

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Obsidian did awesome job with Shandra (one of the few NPC's in games that feel like real people) but I don't really count her as a companion.

Definately did a great job with Shandra, however for me she is my favourite character for this game.

And then they had her story killed while I stand there.....Raise dead spell at the ready.... >_<

Silly, very silly. If I want a JRPG, I know where to get one.

Neeshka is absolutely horrible. Shallow, one dimensional character with no likeable qualities. She had one or two funny lines tops.

Shandra is awesome, and should be considered a companion since she spends a large parft of the game in the party.

Khelgar is great. So are Elanee and Sand.

Casavir is boring. Jerro is just plain retarded. Qara is whatever. Grobnar is haha but not much else. Gith woman is neat if not a rip off another character. Mr. Ranger can be cool if not predictable.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Definately did a great job with Shandra, however for me she is my favourite character for this game.

And then they had her story killed while I stand there.....Raise dead spell at the ready.... :yucky:

Silly, very silly. If I want a JRPG, I know where to get one.

People die, even in Faerun, y'know. Unlike Marvel comics, they can't always be brought back. There are limits to Raise Dead.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

• 2 weeks later...

Definately neeshka she was funny all the way..

As for romance i dont know kinda missed the Viconia type from BG2 bit dark natured and bold and a bit of cold and hot, attitude i dont know find it more likeable with sparks i suppose always flying, and some confrontation now and then.

Hey when do we get a succubus in party :x ^^

When i first started playing i really liked Khelgar. His "kill everything and ask questions later" style suited me just fine. As i continued to play i really began to like Neeshka, and then Bishop. Really, the only characters i didn't play with that often were Zhjaeve, Construct, and Jerro.

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...

they were all half-baked. is a shame too, 'cause shandra and ammon jerro and some others had potential, but it were as if somebody decided to only writes 2/3 o' a npc... and in casavir's case, 1/3 at best. khelgar were actually not one we enjoyed. were all surface, but as no character got 'nuff development, the dwarf suffered least due to obvious paucity o' consideration... though we suspect grobnar were also pretty much complete after initial encounter.

kotor2 had better npcs, and worse npcs... more dvelopment gave Gromnir more chance to like or loathe.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

People die, even in Faerun, y'know. Unlike Marvel comics, they can't always be brought back. There are limits to Raise Dead.

Along with what Avenger said, Obsidian had a real chance to change the story at that point. A toss up between Shandra or Jerro, or perhaps being able to pull out both.

I never like being totally railroaded in RPG's without a choice.

On top of that, my favourite character getting killed....didn't do much for the motivation after having that permadeath forced on me.

The npcs should have been fleshed out like Baldur's Gate 2 npcs. For some reason the Devs keep ignoring the successful forumla that made BG2 good. You had developed interesting npcs, joinable and non-joinable and good romances. Yet we get pathetic attempts in the romance department in games like Kotor and NWN2. We get cardboard npcs in NWN2. Most of them were dull and boring. The Devs read the message boards (Obs, Bioware, etc.) on what the fans like about games in the past or what they would like to see, yet it seems to be ignored. Lets get with it! Look to the past to see what worked and use it.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

• 4 months later...

My favorite are Sand and Khelgar, in that order. These are the two I'm more or less miss in the Xpac.

I found most party members so-so; Elanee, Casavir, Bishop, Shandra. Ammon was ok, but his scene at the farm was touching. Grobnar I didn't find too annoying (nothing like that freaking Deekin I'M GOING TO MURDER YOU YOU BLOODY KOBOLD), and his 'sidequest' was pretty amusing.

Neeshka and Qara are absolute messes. Annah-wannabe with the personality of a 2-yr old, who ends up backstabbing you because I didn't shower her with attention? I enjoyed gutting her. I also enjoyed gutting Qara. I understand the spoiler brat persona blah blah, but it was so badly implemented. This is especially bad because pyromaniacs are awesome, and I still found her pathetic. Heck, even the freaking Construct had a better personality.

I'll be looking forward to a new cast of party members in the Xpac, and they better be, er, better.

EDIT: Haha, I completely forgot that Gith-chick existed. Which speaks for itself.

Actually, the best party member is Amie, because she tried to pull an Imoen and got murdered. That was priceless. Extra props to Obs if that was intentional.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)