NWN2 Discussion Thread

roshan

Just a quick question;

does anybody actually use pause liberally? In IE games the way I played was, I would pause every 6 seconds (or more often, really), order each of my party mbmers actions, then pause whenever I need someone to make a move. In difficult battles I would be pausing literally every couple of seconds.

So I'd like to know if anyone plays with that much pausing and the lack of complete control still bothers them, or if party members running off and all matters if you don't pause as frequently.

In NWN2, the AI has a number of problems, so letting it go can be difficult. On the other hand, the nature of the combat makes round-by-round management a chore.

Hey, new smilies. More like jew smilies, amirite? :thumbsup:;);)

Just a quick question;

does anybody actually use pause liberally? In IE games the way I played was, I would pause every 6 seconds (or more often, really), order each of my party mbmers actions, then pause whenever I need someone to make a move. In difficult battles I would be pausing literally every couple of seconds.

So I'd like to know if anyone plays with that much pausing and the lack of complete control still bothers them, or if party members running off and all matters if you don't pause as frequently.

I was like you. I had to pause ever other second in any significant combat situation. I never trusted the scripts from the IE games and didn't trust the AI to have my best interest in mind.

The complete opposite, NWN, disappointed me. How much better is NWN2 in this regard?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Slightly on-topic:

Im many hours into the game now and I realise that maybe it wasnt so much fun to be a spellcaster anyway. All those juicy armours and weapons and smititng your enemy into tiny bits. I cant even be a good artillery because ether the enemy runs up to me and ganks me so I get AoO's when I try to spell, or I end up frying the entire party because they run into my line of fire during those 6 seconds it takes me to cast a fireball.

Is there some way for me to reset my levels and stuff by using the console? I know I should be able to reset my exp so I end up at lvl1 and then give me enough exp to level up again to where I was but as a fighty type. But then Ill have that first lvl of sorceror giving me xp penalty

I was getting a little bored of the endless baddie-bashing until I picked up Qara and laid down some fiery hurt. Spellcasting is lots of fun in NWN2 imo.

Just a quick question;

In this game I have to pause almost every second because my characters power attack modes keep turning off randomly and because the stupid characters keep doing something else other than what I have ordered them to do. Not only that, the PA mode button is extremely unresponsive and I need to try several times to turn it back on. And sometimes it doesnt turn on and I click it again and then a second later it turns on and then back off again right away. Its also necessary to pause because I often need to keep on broadcasting stand your ground commands. Its really stupid because whenever you select a character, all the other characters suddenly run towards that character. There is no button to disable follow the leader mode for all the party members. If you want the characters to stop running accross the screen towards each other, you need to select them each of them one by one, HOLD right click to bring up the menu and then click through 2 buttons in order to broadcast stand your ground. 4 characters means that you need to go through this four times. Another is that combat is extremely frantic with characters sprinting accross the screen at light speed like in Lionheart.

Actually, the combat is ridiculously easy, about 95% of all the pauses are unneccesary and are mostly due to these problems. My main character is more than capable of hacking through a most of the major areas by himself without any concern for any sort of strategy. Diablo 2 is much more tactical than this.

Combat wise, NWN2 is nothing like the IE games, it is just a much more frustrating version of the original game.

Edited by roshan

roshan: with the unresponsive buttons, is your game fluid everywhere else or does the response lag occur in other places as well? I have a low-end system and I'm pretty used to it, but it still chafes.

Video clips I've seen didnt seem to have "characters sprinting at light speed", it had looked to me like they ran at similar speeds to NWN1. This is not true, then? I wouldn't like it if that was the case.

It's a pity really, if what you say is true. Tactics is the be-all and end-all of party CRPG combat.

A friend of mine with an ASUS laptop keeps getting CTD's becaue its apparently overheating. Oblivion, M&M and now NWN2.

What can you do about something like that? Besdies play it sitting on the balcony in the freezing cold?

Clean it, and replace fans + heatsinks.

Cleaned it up and put it through the cold test (running it out on the balcony in -5C) and its not a heat issue after all. His hardrive is severely fragged and he's got about 3 times as many processes running in win as he should have. I recommended defrag and a clean reinstall+patch of NWN2 otherwise we'll have to do a complete wipe.

save time complete wipe now.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

The problem is that I think hes got one of those XP Home laptops that doesnt come with an actual OS CD, but a pack of recovery discs which will just muck it up again.

Also, helping people to reinstall is so booring! :brows:"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Just getting started. My Limited Edition finally arrived. Before I get started, I am debating whether to take a prestige class later on or not.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

The problem is that I think hes got one of those XP Home laptops that doesnt come with an actual OS CD, but a pack of recovery discs which will just muck it up again.

Oh, right.. one of those. Aka. pirated version. :brows:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Just getting started. My Limited Edition finally arrived. Before I get started, I am debating whether to take a prestige class later on or not.

It matters what base class your thinking of? if your a rogue, yes, if your a sorcerer, no, I would take the spells.

My first run is with a Halfling Wizard, I have no plans to take a prestige class and miss out on a level of spells. My next run I'll choose something like a Ranger and take a prestige class.

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

roshan: with the unresponsive buttons, is your game fluid everywhere else or does the response lag occur in other places as well? I have a low-end system and I'm pretty used to it, but it still chafes.

Video clips I've seen didnt seem to have "characters sprinting at light speed", it had looked to me like they ran at similar speeds to NWN1. This is not true, then? I wouldn't like it if that was the case.

It's a pity really, if what you say is true. Tactics is the be-all and end-all of party CRPG combat.

I dont have any problems with unresponsive buttons anywhere in the game except for the PA one. There are some buttons at the bottom right hand of the screen that allow you to turn on modes like stealth, detect and power attack. The only ones that I have used so far are detect and PA. Detect works perfectly fine without any problems. I click on it and the character starts searching right away until I turn it off.

But power attack is a complete mess. Sometimes I need to click the button up to 10 times in order to enter the power attack mode. Very often the game is unpaused and I am clicking on the button with no response from the game. And power attack keeps turning off randomly. Sometimes it lasts just a few seconds before I need to try to turn it on again.

The characters really do run too quickly during combat. Its a lot faster than the speed of NWN1. Sometimes they just zip accross the screen to an enemy before I can even hit the pause button.

I also have a low end system and I had some bad performance issues, the game was almost unplayable even in the lowest settings until I turned off VSYNC in my graphics card options as was recommended on these boards. Now I can run the game with all the texture settings such as the quality and the filtering at their best, with the best character shadows and also with bloom, normal mapping, lights from party members and the water special effects. I tend to have a minor lag in large areas with lots of characters and also in dungeons. I cant turn on environmental shadows, and Ive also got all the shadow maps etc at the smallest size(it didnt seem to affect the way the game looked at all, and neither did VSYNC). I think NWN2 looks very impressive.

I just got the game and I'm very surprised. I haven't updated anything yet, and I just started it up to check on the game's performance, and apparently it runs brilliantly with everything maxed(and I mean everything) at 1024x768 in the first room of the tutorial. I'm amazed. :o

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I dont have any problems with unresponsive buttons anywhere in the game except for the PA one. There are some buttons at the bottom right hand of the screen that allow you to turn on modes like stealth, detect and power attack. The only ones that I have used so far are detect and PA. Detect works perfectly fine without any problems. I click on it and the character starts searching right away until I turn it off.

But power attack is a complete mess. Sometimes I need to click the button up to 10 times in order to enter the power attack mode. Very often the game is unpaused and I am clicking on the button with no response from the game. And power attack keeps turning off randomly. Sometimes it lasts just a few seconds before I need to try to turn it on again.

The characters really do run too quickly during combat. Its a lot faster than the speed of NWN1. Sometimes they just zip accross the screen to an enemy before I can even hit the pause button.

I also have a low end system and I had some bad performance issues, the game was almost unplayable even in the lowest settings until I turned off VSYNC in my graphics card options as was recommended on these boards. Now I can run the game with all the texture settings such as the quality and the filtering at their best, with the best character shadows and also with bloom, normal mapping, lights from party members and the water special effects. I tend to have a minor lag in large areas with lots of characters and also in dungeons. I cant turn on environmental shadows, and Ive also got all the shadow maps etc at the smallest size(it didnt seem to affect the way the game looked at all, and neither did VSYNC). I think NWN2 looks very impressive.

Do you have Combat Modes enabled? It may be that the AI is overriding your decisions. Just a thought.

I got it today and am enjoying it. I think it helps that I run a cray-level supercomputer in my underground lair, though.

I was expecting groovy art assets, especially item icons, from the Obsidian people and I wasn't disappointed. Furthermore, I have a flaming weapon-type thingie. Yay!

Minor criticism? Using the old NWN2 muzak. Seeing how good the IWD/ Planescape etc music was it's a bit of a shame but not the end of the world.

It's generic D&D, but hey it's the FR and (as we say in England) "you can't polish a turd."

All in all I'm a happy camper, well done the developers by making me say that I've enjoyed a NWN title on a public internet forum. Why wasn't the single-player game as good with the first title? Eh?

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Do you have Combat Modes enabled? It may be that the AI is overriding your decisions. Just a thought.

No, Ive turned off combat modes for all characters. I believe that in the itnerface thread there were others who complained as well about power attack turning off randomly.

Yay! Just found out that my copy has arrived a day before Amazon told me it would and is waiting in the hands of my apartment concierge. Unfortunately, I took 45 minutes to vote this morning, so staying late at work is going to cut into my installing/patching/playing time tonight.

Has anyone else lost sleep because of this game? I've probably lost a total of like 14 hours sleep since I started. I marathoned it the weekend I got it. Played from 1pm Saturday till 8:30 pm Sunday. And got to the beginning of the ritual of purification. This makes it much longer than KotOR 2, since I did a similar thing with that, only at the end I finished it, and I played again from 10pm-6am and just got passed the beginning of chapter 3.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Has anyone else lost sleep because of this game? I've probably lost a total of like 14 hours sleep since I started. I marathoned it the weekend I got it. Played from 1pm Saturday till 8:30 pm Sunday. And got to the beginning of the ritual of purification. This makes it much longer than KotOR 2, since I did a similar thing with that, only at the end I finished it, and I played again from 10pm-6am and just got passed the beginning of chapter 3.

I played from 8:30 Saturday night until 3:30 Sunday morning, so, yeah, definitely losing sleep. Haven't done that since KotOR2, either.

First crash! :o:p

Heja Sverige!!

Oh, right.. one of those. Aka. pirated version. :)

Clean install of WinXP pro + fresh Nvidia drivers(haxxed to fit a laptop) and his computer is now crash free >_<

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I've definately lost sleep to it. I've ended up playing till at least 2am everyday. Played till 6am on Saturday morning. Took me a week to beat it. Much longer than it took me to complete either KotOR which were both completed over a weekend. >_<

It takes a really long time to patch the game...

Heja Sverige!!

I've been a zombie at work all morning for lack of sleep. The wee hours of the morning have a way of sneaking up on you waaay too quickly with this game.

I need to take a sick day, so I can play even more, methinks >_<