What You've Done Today - Yesterday is but today's memory, and tomorrow is today's dream.

2 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Who casts the votes? The other residents of your neighborhood?

Yes. I know a decent chunk at this point, so hopefully that helps. The HOA is run by some corporation, so the transparency kinda sucks. They keep scheduling meetings for 1:00 PM on Wednesdays and I'm like, don't people need to work to pay for these townhomes?

45 minutes ago, melkathi said:

What is a HOA board?

Does it hover?

Homeowners Association. It is more likely to sink than it is to hover.

• Like 1

Ugh. You volunteer for that?

Do you need us to mount a rescue operation?

Are you in trouble?

I am selling my apartment to get out of that.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

2 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

I applied to be on my HOA board, since I have no idea what is happening with it and I figure that is a good way to stay in the loop. There are 2 spots and 4 candidates running. I am the only one who wrote up a candidate statement. We will see if that hurts or helps. Yay democracy!

If you lose, we can all storm the HOA offices.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hah, my dad told me the same thing. He said I'm basically inviting my neighbors to complain to me about everything. 

As a middle school teacher, I do have a pretty high threshold for patience, so hopefully that will help. I appreciate all of the support. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To make matters worse, there will be two people who did not win but know things would be better if they were on the board.

• Haha 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

12 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

Yes. I know a decent chunk at this point, so hopefully that helps. The HOA is run by some corporation, so the transparency kinda sucks. They keep scheduling meetings for 1:00 PM on Wednesdays and I'm like, don't people need to work to pay for these townhomes?

Homeowners Association. It is more likely to sink than it is to hover.

We call them rate payers association (RPA) and I assume its the same thing? People that live in the areas have monthly meetings and they discuss issues that are relevant to everyone 

But in our case you pay a small fee to be a member and then RPA handles general issues with the municipality like a burst pipe or some update around security. And then you get SM updates and they keep minutes after the meetings so you can track issues and concerns

Its a good initiative to be part of if you want to understand whats going on in the community you live in 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Those rat bastages made me cut down a tree in my front yard a few years ago (well, they paid to have it cut down and removed). I had planted it years ago when it was knee high and now it was towering. "Waa, we cant see your house number." "Waa, its way over first floor your roof line." 👎

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, melkathi said:

Tried out the fairly new lebanefe reftaurant.

Broke a toof.

Obvioufly all the dentiftf I know are on holiday.

I broke a molar last year and was worried it was infected or something, but I got into my dentist and he was like "nope, your teeth are all perfectly healthy, bone density looks good, no infections, you're doing great, and we'll fix that one up in a couple of months". So I was like "okay...uh, so why did that one break?", and he posited that I probably bit on something hard and these things sometimes happen, the freakish brute power of our jaws combined with our imperfect nature can sometimes result in strange things happening...and then I told him that it broke when I was just eating some ruffles, just about the softest potato chips you can eat. He went "oh, hmm" and didn't give me any other theories. Alright, cool, guess I lost part of a tooth for no apparent reason.

Edited by Bartimaeus
freaking -> freakish

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

This tooth had a very old filling which had to be changed a few times.

So it was the problem tooth anyway.

The good thing is the nerve is already dead because all dentists I know said "Yeah, this tooth will cause trouble again eventually".

It wasn't completely unexpected. Still annoying.

At least it doesn't hurt.

• Gasp! 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I broke a molar last year and was worried it was infected or something, but I got into my dentist and he was like "nope, your teeth are all perfectly healthy, bone density looks good, no infections, you're doing great, and we'll fix that one up in a couple of months". So I was like "okay...uh, so why did that one break?", and he posited that I probably bit on something hard and these things sometimes happen, the freakish brute power of our jaws combined with our imperfect nature can sometimes result in strange things happening...and then I told him that it broke when I was just eating some ruffles, just about the softest potato chips you can eat. He went "oh, hmm" and didn't give me any other theories. Alright, cool, guess I lost part of a tooth for no apparent reason.

Even the softest potato chips might have a little corner that's extra crispy.

• Gasp! 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Beautiful weather in LaCrosse the past few weeks. But you can feel the air getting drier. Winter will be here soon. We're planning a trip to Big Bend National Park in November. Already have a campsite reserved in Cottonwood. We will spend the winter in West Texas. Looking forward to it. Hope you guys are doing well.  @Azdeus hope your foot is doing better.

• Like 8

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Good to hear from you @Guard Dog! I'm doing well, I can feel both 40mm screws doing their job 😄

Hope you and yours are doing great!

• Gasp! 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Neighbour has been blasting Ace of Base most of afternoon. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, majestic said:

27° C outside at five minutes to midnight. FML.

Yeah, that is a sleepless night for sure.

Cant fall asleep myself, its impossible to get comfortable at the moment, my feet and legs are doing their normal jittery stuff they do before i fall asleep and that jives badly with stitches. 

It was twenty degrees here at midnight yesterday, which was weird.

• Gasp! 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

10 hours ago, Malcador said:

Neighbour has been blasting Ace of Base most of afternoon. 

Report him to Hurlshot. Let's see what the Homeowners Association will do about it!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pidesco said:

It was twenty degrees here at midnight yesterday, which was weird.

That would explain why I was féeling worse than usual 😅

On 8/22/2024 at 9:20 PM, melkathi said:

What is a HOA board?

Everything I've ever heard about HOA make them seem like some weird American Suburbanite Cult Thing.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I managed to faint while giving myself an imhotep injection. I'm kind of proud that I managed 3 injections before it happening.

• Gasp! 1

Those two posts are surprisingly fitting.

Once Hurlshot joins the HOA cult, Azdeus will give him an imhotep injection as well, and both will shamble down the street in Hurlshot's neigbourhood chanting "Imhotep. Imhotep."

• Haha 3