Cinema and Movie Thread: coming at you at 24fps

Raithe

Some brilliant quotes ๐Ÿ˜

"Pegging isn't new for me friendo... but it is for Disney" & "I am the Messiah, I... am... Marvel Jesus!..." ๐Ÿ˜‚

I never saw the second Deadpool movie, but I loved the first one. Comedy according to my own tastes ๐Ÿ˜›

ย 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

โ€œHe who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.โ€ - Albert Einstein

And for the slight eyebrow raise..

Universal have done a "sequel" of sorts to a classic...

ย 

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

phantom-menace-ferguson-onesheet-final-e

I feel old now

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

6 hours ago, Raithe said:

And for the slight eyebrow raise..

Universal have done a "sequel" of sorts to a classic...

ย 

I was about to make some lame joke about putting a new spin on an old story. This just looks... bad? Like really really bad? Uwe Boll bad?

• Like 1

โ€œHe who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.โ€ - Albert Einstein

19 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

but-why-tho-ryan-reynolds.gif

I mean, episode 7 was basically a new hope, so maybe they've given up their pretenses?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

The reason for the re-release of Episode 1 is obviously due to someone at Disney thinking that this is where the fun begins.

I've also heard that they're going back to proper analogue film rather than digital too, since spinning is a good trick.

ย 

I think we can all agree that episode 1 was re-released solely to capture the lucrative @majesticย hate watch market.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"Youย are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfullyย it seems like the creatorsย like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don'tย forgetย the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Areย you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feralย camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

but-why-tho-ryan-reynolds.gif

giphy.gif

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

10 hours ago, Gorth said:

I was about to make some lame joke about putting a new spin on an old story. This just looks... bad? Like really really bad? Uwe Boll bad?

If it doesn't have the Van Halen soundtrack to it, it's not going to work either...

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

13 hours ago, Gorth said:

Looks a lot like the original film but with digital effects to me. But then again, the original film was (to me) just a good popcorn film.

ย 

12 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

No flying cow? I am disappoint.

Hopefully they've cooked up something similarly iconic, but I imagine if they'd shown a flying cow everyone would be like "OMG how unimaginative, they're just retreading the first film right down to the ****ing flying cow...".ย  Can't really win whatever they do.

Or maybe I'm just cynical about humanity.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

...everyone would be like "OMG how unimaginative, they're just retreading the first film right down to the ****ing flying cow...".ย  Can't really win whatever they do.

Funny you should say that because in the beginning of the trailer where they escape the car just before the twister snatches it and then run under a highway overpass for safety totally reminded me of the first movie. :lol:

• Haha 1

Twister without Bill Paxton (RIP) or Helen Hunt isn't Twister. It's like Die Hard without Bruce Willis (for me Die Hard is 100x the better film but you get my point).
At least they waited over 25 years to prequel/reboot. Maybe it won't entirely suck.

Mostly it makes me feel old, not because of film dates, but because I don't recognize anyone in that trailer even in a vague, offhand way. This is happening more and more often. I'm so not hip to who's famous or even "well used chr. actor" recognizable re: Films/TV now. ๐Ÿ˜›

ย 

โ€œThings are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.โ€ โ€“ Alan Watts

18 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

I think we can all agree that episode 1 was re-released solely to capture the lucrative @majesticย hate watch market.

I no longer hate The Phantom Menace, probably because it stopped being the second worst Star Wars movie in 2015, and it climbed down the ranks even more with subsequent releases. If this gets a world wide release I just might play the sucker and pay for it just to compare the experiences.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Maybe we'll get a Jar Jar TV show as a result

51 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Maybe we'll get a Jar Jar TV show as a result

I's love you
You's love Jar
To-geth-er we's-a reach the stars!
Ins our big round ship
Travel far me-sa and you
Won't you say
You's love me too!

• Like 2
โ€œThings are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.โ€ โ€“ Alan Watts

:ban:

On 2/13/2024 at 7:10 AM, Amentep said:

Or maybe I'm just cynical about humanity.

You know, some might say that you should extend your cynicism to not just humanity, but also what humanity makes as well, including our lazy retread films...:yes:

ย 

Of Human Bondage (1934).

hour46.jpg

Pre-code 1930s Hollywood films can be weird. Feels like stepping into a different era of American film that never was - or rather an era that was murdered and buried with the intent to make sure everyone forgot that it ever happened. Bette Davis plays a vacuous and cruel vampiress in this film, and I don't mean the supernatural kind. She acts so much with her eyes, and I think that might be the best kind of acting for this kind of role: the lazy seduction, some manipulative side-eye, a contemptuous raised eyebrow, the slightly uneven makeup and wide-eyed psychosis...she does it all and it's what makes the performance and the film. I think the only other Bette Davis film I've seen is All About Eve, but that was a very different kind of role and I don't think I appreciated it enough, even as well as I liked that film. Of Human Bondage is a very odd duck of a film (with a message that I'm not particularly fond of and some stretches that I think are a bit boring, no less), but the 1920s and 1930s films that I like do tend to be.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I started looking around for my two favourite Charlie Chaplin movies, that I remember from the past...

The Great Dictator, probably one of the better known of his movies. Mocking authoritarianism and it's enablers

Monsier Verdoux, Chaplin plays the serial killer, that seduces, marries and murders women for their money. The woman he does love (his legitimate wife), is disabled and in order to provide her with a good life elsewhere, he has this little "business" on the side to help with the upkeep.

13 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I started looking around for my two favourite Charlie Chaplin movies, that I remember from the past...

The Great Dictator, probably one of the better known of his movies. Mocking authoritarianism and it's enablers

Monsier Verdoux, Chaplin plays the serial killer, that seduces, marries and murders women for their money. The woman he does love (his legitimate wife), is disabled and in order to provide her with a good life elsewhere, he has this little "business" on the side to help with the upkeep.

Both of them have been released on blu-ray by the Criterion Collection (and also via the Criterion Channel paid streaming service). Not sure if they're anywhere else - I would guess not, given their age. I've seen The Great Dictator, I thought it was fairly amusing.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Thanks 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Cade: The Tortured Crossing (2022) - Neil Breen's magnum opus. You've not lived until you've seen Neil Breen fight a CGI white tiger. Also, there's a dance interlude because reasons. This movie is entirely green screened and the quality is up to the standards you would expect from Breen. I don't know how he keeps doing it. We're lucky to get 1 awesomely terrible movie out of most people, Neil is 6 for 6.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธRFK Jr 2024๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks