The All Things Political Topic - A conservative is someone who makes no changes and consults his grandmother when in doubt

Keyrock

Mostly of interest to people Down Under I think... elections coming up in Tasmania

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Putin won the election in a landslide. Nobody could have predicted that. 🫡

• Haha 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

2 hours ago, Lexx said:

Putin won the election in a landslide. Nobody could have predicted that. 🫡

Yes he won by getting 118% of total votes cast :lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

Luckily the police managed to crack down on the BLM and Antifa protesters that tried to sabotage the election with riots and public unrest, to ensure fair and free democratic elections!

edit: I hope it's obvious I'm not serious, but still, keep in mind, just like a well known mustache wearing German, before he solidified his grip on power, he got elected.

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

5 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Luckily the police managed to crack down on the BLM and Antifa protesters that tried to sabotage the election with riots and public unrest, to ensure fair and free democratic elections!

edit: I hope it's obvious I'm not serious, but still, keep in mind, just like a well known mustache wearing German, before he solidified his grip on power, he got elected.

The irony about Putin is if he had the confidence and belief in his own policies and support he could have a free and fair election and there is a good chance he could win legitimately 

Its impossible to know the true numbers but he has at least 40-60% of the country supporting him

But autocrats like him cant take the chance of being defeated which is why they will ensure the reality of the political environment is not free and fair 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

I believe it was Louis Kuehnle from Atlantic City, New Jersey, who once got more votes than the city had voters. This would have been in the 1910s or 1920s, and the main opponent was one Woodrow Wilson.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

I believe it was Louis Kuehnle from Atlantic City, New Jersey, who once got more votes than the city had voters. This would have been in the 1910s or 1920s, and the main opponent was one Woodrow Wilson.

That is interesting. Im sure there are more  cases of that and it would be applicable to  happen in NJ and in that time period if you think of the era of prohibition and the influence of the mob and the rampant political corruption 

John Milton 

5 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

Kuehnle didn't run for governor of NJ, but was supporting the Republican candidate Vivian Lewis, who lost to Wilson in 1910.  Kuehnle was the boss of the political machine in Atlantic city at the time. It was reported in the New York Times that Keuhnle, on behalf of Lewis, did deliver more votes for Lewis in Atlantic City that there were voters.  He was paying people to vote for deceased voters still on the rolls and for seasonal hotel employees in Atlantic City who weren't in town in November but whom he'd gotten to register to vote.

Wilson ran partially on cleaning up politics in NJ, and was able to successfully pursue criminal charges against Kuehnle after he got elected. Kuehnle was chairman of the water commission and Wilson was able to uncover where Kuehnle was changing contract terms to pay companies he owned more money from government contracts that was originally bid.  Knucky Johnson took over the machine, and while Kuehnle came back after his conviction and got elected to the city commission, he never wielded the same power again.

5 hours ago, BruceVC said:

That is interesting. Im sure there are more  cases of that and it would be applicable to  happen in NJ and in that time period if you think of the era of prohibition and the influence of the mob and the rampant political corruption 

This happened prior to the Volstead Act / Prohibition (1920-1933); Atlantic City however was home to a large number of criminal rackets (gambling and prostitution, primarily I believe) and a political machine believed to be as effective as Tammany Hall or the Vare's in Philidelphia.

• Thanks 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

Kuehnle didn't run for governor of NJ, but was supporting the Republican candidate Vivian Lewis, who lost to Wilson in 1910.

Thank you for this clarification, and for your post in general.

As far as rackets as a whole are concerned, I was delighted by something I read in a new history of the mafia by Louis Ferrante, an ex-mobster. He pointed out that the mafia is not and has never been interested in overthrowing any governments; indeed, the mob relies on a "capitalist system with a democratically elected and stable but greedy and inept government; and in this the US has never been a disappointment to the mafia". Cruel but apt, I would say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, uuuhhii said:

some school in florida is reviewing 1600 book for ban

nice to see florida meme keep itself alive while the peninsula drown

All those woke Enlightenment authors are corrupting the youths.

13 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

Thank you for this clarification, and for your post in general.

As far as rackets as a whole are concerned, I was delighted by something I read in a new history of the mafia by Louis Ferrante, an ex-mobster. He pointed out that the mafia is not and has never been interested in overthrowing any governments; indeed, the mob relies on a "capitalist system with a democratically elected and stable but greedy and inept government; and in this the US has never been a disappointment to the mafia". Cruel but apt, I would say.

Yes but thats also obvious, all mobs and cartels dont operate in the open because then there structural and systemic criminality  would be publicly  exposed and scrutinized by  everyone 

Can you imagine an openly  Mexican Cartel aligned  mayor and his speeches " today we brought in 1 ton of fentanyl, street prices are going to be consistent " :grin:

So they operate in the shadows by  design and the more corruptible a particular politician is the better 

John Milton 

16 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Yes but thats also obvious, all mobs and cartels dont operate in the open because then there structural and systemic criminality  would be publicly  exposed and scrutinized by  everyone

The most pertinent part of Ferrante's analysis was that the US government has, without fail, been greedy and inept precisely the way the mafia wants. Not once has it been different.

• Hmmm 1

On 3/15/2024 at 7:03 PM, Gorth said:

Mostly of interest to people Down Under I think... elections coming up in Tasmania

Got this email from JuiceMedia....

"Just a quick message to keep you in the loop about recent developments following our latest Honest Government Ad | Visit Tasmania! - which covers the coming state election
On Monday we received this takedown notice from Tasmania's Electoral Commission after it received a complaint - from somebody [thinking emoji] - claiming our latest Honest Government Ad breached s196 the Tasmanian Electoral Act by showing a photo of the Tasmanian Premier.

In a satirical video. One week out from an election. Apparently you can go to jail for that in Tasmania. Cool and normal."

After which followed a new email

"Part 2!

As you may have heard, the Tasmanian Electoral Commission claimed that our latest Honest Government Ad breached the Tasmanian Electoral Act by showing a photo of the Tasmanian Premier (a heinous crime that carries a penalty of up to 12 months imprisonment).

Being the law-abiding citizen that I am, I decided to remove the video from all our pages (except YouTube, where the video is still online)
I spoke with a journalist from the Guardian today expressing my feelings about that, which you can read in this article.
But I wouldn’t want this to suggest that The Juice Media is intimidated by such attempts to silence political speech and #Genuine Satire in the lead up to a crucial state election.
Which is why we quickly got to work and republished the video to all our pages, with a special new preface by the Tasmanian Government - which we hope will satisfy all authorities concerned.

You can watch it here on YouTube, or here on Twitter or on Facebook or Insta"

Yes, a lot of links got removed by me, just in case.

Welcome to Australia, where the politicians are almost as venomous as the critters.... 🕷️

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Got this email from JuiceMedia....

"Just a quick message to keep you in the loop about recent developments following our latest Honest Government Ad | Visit Tasmania! - which covers the coming state election
On Monday we received this takedown notice from Tasmania's Electoral Commission after it received a complaint - from somebody [thinking emoji] - claiming our latest Honest Government Ad breached s196 the Tasmanian Electoral Act by showing a photo of the Tasmanian Premier.

In a satirical video. One week out from an election. Apparently you can go to jail for that in Tasmania. Cool and normal."

After which followed a new email

"Part 2!

As you may have heard, the Tasmanian Electoral Commission claimed that our latest Honest Government Ad breached the Tasmanian Electoral Act by showing a photo of the Tasmanian Premier (a heinous crime that carries a penalty of up to 12 months imprisonment).

Being the law-abiding citizen that I am, I decided to remove the video from all our pages (except YouTube, where the video is still online)
I spoke with a journalist from the Guardian today expressing my feelings about that, which you can read in this article.
But I wouldn’t want this to suggest that The Juice Media is intimidated by such attempts to silence political speech and #Genuine Satire in the lead up to a crucial state election.
Which is why we quickly got to work and republished the video to all our pages, with a special new preface by the Tasmanian Government - which we hope will satisfy all authorities concerned.

You can watch it here on YouTube, or here on Twitter or on Facebook or Insta"

Yes, a lot of links got removed by me, just in case.

Welcome to Australia, where the politicians are almost as venomous as the critters.... 🕷️

But surly that cant apply to Australia mainland? I see the legal infringement is " “an offence to publish on the internet an advertisement that contains the photograph or likeness of a candidate at an election without their written consent”

So juice media is considered advertising? It doesnt make much sense because they more satirical videos

They should just remove the word " ad" from the video and it should be fine :grin: 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

23 hours ago, BruceVC said:

But surly that cant apply to Australia mainland? I see the legal infringement is " “an offence to publish on the internet an advertisement that contains the photograph or likeness of a candidate at an election without their written consent”

So juice media is considered advertising? It doesnt make much sense because they more satirical videos

They should just remove the word " ad" from the video and it should be fine :grin: 

Doesn't really matter what they called it. I know, and I'm fairly sure you know too, it's about silencing political dissent. We're talking about the same party that was led by Scott Morrison and (ab)used the federal police to silent news channels that didn't agree with them 🤷‍♂️

Government approved version of the ad released:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Gorth said:

Doesn't really matter what they called it. I know, and I'm fairly sure you know too, it's about silencing political dissent. We're talking about the same party that was led by Scott Morrison and (ab)used the federal police to silent news channels that didn't agree with them 🤷‍♂️

Government approved version of the ad released:

But Gorthfuscious on a serious note,  is Juice Media considered a real political institution in Oz?

I assumed it was satire? Also its not unreasonable to have laws that say " images of politicians cant be used in adverts  during elections unless they give consent "  Im sure those same laws exist in numerous countries for obvious reasons of abuse and usage of the image from opposition parties. I can only speak for myself but I wouldnt want my image to be used anywhere unless  I give consent 

But end of the day Juice Media is not really an advertising company so  the " advert " isnt really an advert  so it shouldn't have been banned or rather it was unnecessary even if it was technically legal?

John Milton 

On 3/22/2024 at 4:42 PM, BruceVC said:

But Gorthfuscious on a serious note,  is Juice Media considered a real political institution in Oz?

No, they aren't. Satire, social commentary and calling out people who are too accustomed to get away with things without being held accountable.

It wasn't an advert, that was just the LNP (the right wing coalition) working the other way around. I.e. normal law abiding citizens would do something like this, these guys are dong something wrong, lets shut them down. Instead the LNP decided these guys must be shut down (because they didn't like their BS being called out close to election day), so what can we pull out of our sleeves to accomplish it? No matter how far fetched from it's intended purpose that law was (to limit the campaign spam from political parties the last week before election)

Politically JuiceMedia is probably a moderate leftist group, but mainly going for those who consider themselves above the law. They usually refer to the LNP (the right wing coalition) as the s*** party and the Labour party (the left wing party) as the s*** lite party. No love lost for either of the two big groupings. In their past videos they recommend people vote independents of peoples own liking (unlike some countries, those can be quite powerful and numerous in Australia)

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Sarex said:

And he's on the run, it seems .

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

46 minutes ago, Malcador said:

And he's on the run, it seems .

Im really disappointed,  he is  such a talented artist but the allegations are  very serious and if he is on the run then  the allegations are  more  than likely true 

John Milton