What You've Done Today - Don't do today, what you can get someone else to do tomorrow

Gorgon

39 minutes ago, Sargallath Abraxium said:

...Jebus, y'all're in the wrong country's...I now takes in o'er a hundred grand a year on me Canadian Armed Forces pensions (I ain't just callin' it the Canadian Forces, despite thems takin' Armed out o' the name in the '90's after all that shyte in Somalia)...come live 'ere!!...

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

Eh, not so much the country as the jobs or lack thereof that I have had, I'm trying to stay positive that the pension age is just 70 though, it'll likely be 75.

Then again... the way people keep voting for the right wing politicians, and the way they've already dismantled our social security nets, my mother that can barely walk or even lift a coffee cup was expected to reeducate herself into something like a psychologist at age 62, I dare not even think where we'd be at in 35-40 years.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

3 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I dare not even think where we'd be at in 35-40 years.

Fighting the neo-feudalists hand to hand for control of the last plot of land capable of growing food.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

9 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Fighting the neo-feudalists hand to hand for control of the last plot of land capable of growing food.

Well, yeah, that'd quite likely come way before that I reckon.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

16 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Well, yeah, that'd quite likely come way before that I reckon.

I was being optimistic.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, melkathi said:

I hear it gets cold in Canada.

Canada is where Volo is

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

I was being optimistic.

I didn't want to be as pessimistic as to say that we're already there.

1 hour ago, Sargallath Abraxium said:

...Jebus, y'all're in the wrong country's...I now takes in o'er a hundred grand a year on me Canadian Armed Forces pensions (I ain't just callin' it the Canadian Forces, despite thems takin' Armed out o' the name in the '90's after all that shyte in Somalia)...come live 'ere!!...

Well, my current theoretical retirment money is a direct factor of what I paid into the pension plan as it stands right now, in case that was not clear from my post - so obviously that is not going to be a whole lot considering that I have 25 years on the work force left until I am old enough to actually retire. I'm like only a little more than one third through the amount of years I am supposed to pay into the plan before retirement. :p

It also does not factor in my private pension plan and my company's pension plan, although the latter is not going to be much, I only have that because it is tax free (i.e. only a couple hundred bucks per year deducted from my income before tax) and therefore a better use of the money even with the somewhat measly projected return on investment than anything I could reasonably do with it.

Spoiler

Besides, even at only a third of my current income, it is already more than my mother's pension. Assuming I live to retirement and nobody ends the world too early, I will be fine. :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

@majestic Do you guys have a cap on how big a pension can be?

Yes, but it is fairly hard to reach for the average person, as retiring right now at the current cap would require someone to have earned over 30 years of 90th+ percentile incomes. Someone who has the necessary income and wants more out of their public retirement plan can supplement with private pension plans, or more likely, at this level of income, direct investments and special company pension plans. There are some exceptions, like government employees having generally better pensions in exchange for fixed income levels and fixed pay raises, i.e. they earn less than regular employees at comparable jobs for better average pensions later.

Not that average income levels of government employees are bad compared to average income of employees, as there is not as much need for low wage unskilled labor, and the unskilled labor that does exist is not paid half bad - not in terms of general income, but they do get hazard pay (which then does not count towards their pension, if I recall correctly). Trash collectors and sewage workers earn a pretty penny in exchange for being subjected to health risks all day long.

Edited by majestic
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, melkathi said:

I hear it gets cold in Canada.

22 hours ago, Malcador said:

Canada is where Volo is

22 hours ago, melkathi said:

So dwarf obsession caused freezing temperatures for a whole country.

...dunna let the Dwarf ruin yer outlook on Canada, peoples...an' ye can dress fer the cold; harder ta dress fer rampagin' lunatics legally armed ta the teeth...👍

• Like 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

49 minutes ago, Sargallath Abraxium said:

...dunna let the Dwarf ruin yer outlook on Canada, peoples...an' ye can dress fer the cold; harder ta dress fer rampagin' lunatics legally armed ta the teeth...👍

To be fair, if I were to leave Sweden, Canada is likely where I'd go. Got relatives in Vancouver. I just need to win a fem mil on the lottery first so I can rent an apartment for a couple of days :p

• Haha 4

Spring and it was time to get things done. Way too much driving back and forth, back and forth, fixing, cleaning, organizing, sleeping on the floor, the past week. But the other house is now ready to rent and the house we're existing in looks a bit less like a multi-room storage closet. Man we are beat. Gettin' too old for this as the saying goes.

Maybe I can game/relax a bit today.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Watched Arsenal blow a 2-0 lead, stupid Salah should have scored.  I am supposedly an Arsenal fan but I find I despise the other fans so much I root against them team :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just got back home from SWC.

Now I can find out what all the announcements actually were. 😄

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Played Diablo1 for 20 minutes.
Played Dungeon Keeper Gold for 30 minutes.
Turned on a couple newer games, then turned them off.
Stared at a wall.

th?id=OIP.blueBJwTdl_1kA9WIkXYZAHaFj%26p

....guess I'll sort/organize more of the piled up boxes of household stuff, at least it keeps me busy.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 4/8/2023 at 9:41 PM, majestic said:

company's pension plan

Forgot about this gem actually; My company pension plan was managed by Alecta whom sold off all their shares in Swedish Handelsbanken (That they'd had for 71 years) to buy more shares in american niche banks, most prominently Silicon Valley Bank and Signature Bank. "Only" 20 billion SEK lost🙄

Edited by Azdeus
  • Gasp! 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Forgot about this gem actually; My company pension plan was managed by Alecta whom sold off all their shares in Swedish Handelsbanken (That they'd had for 71 years) to buy more shares in american niche banks, most prominently Silicon Valley Bank and Signature Bank. "Only" 20 billion SEK lost🙄

Ouch. :[

6 minutes ago, majestic said:

Yeah, all of the losses are focused around people born in 1979 or later, so it hits us that haven't had a chance to work up a whole lot of pension funds yet.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Azdeus said:

18 hours ago, majestic said:

18 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Yeah, all of the losses are focused around people born in 1979 or later, so it hits us that haven't had a chance to work up a whole lot of pension funds yet.

...lol...'member when we "young whippersnappers" used ta make fun o' our grandparents fer jus' hidin' theys money 'round the house instead o' trustin' banks??...seems theys weren't as foolish as we's thought, eh??...😉

• Like 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

2 hours ago, Sargallath Abraxium said:

...lol...'member when we "young whippersnappers" used ta make fun o' our grandparents fer jus' hidin' theys money 'round the house instead o' trustin' banks??...seems theys weren't as foolish as we's thought, eh??...😉

I never had a trust in banks to begin with, but it took a turn for the worse towards hatred when a childhood friend of mine started studying to become a banker. 2008 didn't help make it any better either. 😂

I was cranky as all hell when my employer refused to pay me in cash instead of a bank transfer. Bastards.