What You've Done Today - Don't do today, what you can get someone else to do tomorrow

Gorgon

We did our taxes yesterday and got back a decent return. I was feeling froggy so I was going to upsize my gold purchase to a 2g bar, but then I notice a small link: "$500.00 minimum order in effect" due to some bank collapse, and now I couldnt buy it because it costs less than $500.00 and I didnt feel like spending that much. ;( Goddamnfatcats!

• Like 1

Juggled a bit of work, got a bit of leatherworking started.  Although I've ordered up a cheap fake leather belt and holster to take the pressure off for SWC that should arrive tomorrow. That'll give me something to use, and I don't want to rush the good leather and screw things up. Now I can just take it at pace, if I get it finished before Thursday all good, if not I'll have a backup.

Also, kind of funny how the mind works. For some reason I had some random thoughts on GURPS, then something kicked off a memory of Highlander the tv series, and suddenly I was ponderong on how to create Highlander immortals in GURPS, something made me look at GURPS Ice Age and that combined to start contemplated the first Immortals in pre-history as a campaign, and then I suddenly had the urge to re-install Far Cry Primal...    huh.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

2 hours ago, Raithe said:

then something kicked off a memory of Highlander the tv series

You poor bastard.

Today I continued the deception of my employers that I have some ****ing idea of what I'm doing

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Decided I wanted my giant, shorter-height-than-typical, office desk back (that I'll never find anything like it again) vs. tossing it, so we took it apart and lugged it in this room and put it back together (it would not fit hallway/doorway otherwise). Spent most of today shifting everything around to make it the centerpiece of the room again, with the smaller table hubby made to the side. So I'm now exhausted, but I like it much better/am happier. 😛

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Couldn't finish off the leatherwork, since apparently someone has raided my stash of things and I'm now short of the right sized chicago screws. Have to go with the backup plan.

Still, seemed to have something wearable for SWC, so put it on over lunch, did some stress testing, moving, stretching, etc.  Wore it while working post lunch, but about an hour in, and suddenly the adhesive on a couple of attachment points decided to give out. Hm, so I need to have a ponder on what to do about that tonight...

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

Would rivets do the trick?

I mean, yes, it's a thing to do in the future. But that does mean cutting holes in the quilted layers of flak vest, and fixing it all into place. Not something I'll get done overnight before heading to London manana.

Also, I planned on the magnets approach because it would give my flak-vest a cleanlook. I'd basically velcro in place magnets on the inside of the flak, and have fixed ones to the armour. So it would just.. casually snap into correct place without too much hassle.   Which it did. For x amount of time before the adhesive pads the magnets came with failed.

I'm going to try a bit of re-sand the inside of the armour, dab some superglue on the adhesive pads, then add some epoxy resin around the outside of the magnet on the armour, just to help hold it all in place. Then I'll see what it's like in the morning.

Edit: Just for the general bit;  Here's how it looked as it was (note, just in a basic wearable fashion for SWC, not a finished article), it's the backup belt, that doesn't actually fit my main blaster, and none of the assorted accessories that the finished product will be carrying.

IMG-20230405-WA0000.png?width=481&height

And how you can tell things were starting to go wrong....

SWC_Test_02.jpg?width=481&height=641

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 5

So I decided to take a break from people in general and concentrate on my fork art. And last summer that worked well and I was super productive.

Then came the end of August and it rained something fierce and this happened while I was out and about:

YXKvMWt.jpg

Spoiler

Cleaned up:

aN9WqP0.jpg

Hiding at first:

6Lid326.jpg

Exploring the apartment:

XNDAM8X.jpg

Discovering the internet:

sOrcwQ4.jpg

basically uploaded a few images here:

https://imgur.com/a/LUOB9zN

So now I have a cat demanding at least some attention.

But I also discovered that I game less if I am not on a forum posting screenshots. Posting screenshots is often more fun than playing the actual game. And not playing means I can spend more time painting.

Naturally, having an old PC that has trouble running the newest games helps. It takes ages for something like Midnight Suns to load up. And with the amount of load screens that game has, half my playtime is doing something else while it loads. Like playing with Kassandra the cat. Or painting.

Tuesday I am participating in my first group show.

Not thrilled by the venue, but you have to start somewhere.

• Like 7

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

On Saturday I'm taking the whole family on a flight to Atlanta, Georgia. We are celebrating my mom's 70th birthday. My parents and sister have lived in Georgia for about 7 years, but this is my first visit. I'm excited to see the family, but I'm a bit concerned about the flight. My kids have never actually flown, and I haven't flown in about 10 years. Last time I flew I got a terrible sinus headache that lasted for most of the flight. So yeah, I hope my brain doesn't explode and I hope my kids do alright. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

On Saturday I'm taking the whole family on a flight to Atlanta, Georgia. We are celebrating my mom's 70th birthday. My parents and sister have lived in Georgia for about 7 years, but this is my first visit. 

have only been to atlanta once and such were way back when we were a junior in high school. were a summer trip. ick. however, we were told that april and october were the best months to visit as they were least rainy and the high temps were averaging in the 70s fahrenheit. @Amentep would obvious be a better resource, but our extreme limited knowledge suggests you is going to atlanta at an ideal time at least insofar as weather is concerned.

US air travel, particular post 9/11, is a chore.  am s'posing doing air travel with youngish kids is even more o' a challenge, but you seem like the kinda person who knows enough to plan ahead and prepare for possible obstacles, so am doubting the trip(s) result in more than a relative brief bit o' unpleasantness and who knows, maybe something dramatic does happen and then you got a family anecdote which will last decades.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Hurlshort said:

On Saturday I'm taking the whole family on a flight to Atlanta, Georgia. We are celebrating my mom's 70th birthday. My parents and sister have lived in Georgia for about 7 years, but this is my first visit. I'm excited to see the family, but I'm a bit concerned about the flight. My kids have never actually flown, and I haven't flown in about 10 years. Last time I flew I got a terrible sinus headache that lasted for most of the flight. So yeah, I hope my brain doesn't explode and I hope my kids do alright. 

Is it abuse to sedate them, I wonder.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

22 minutes ago, melkathi said:

Aren't they both teenagers by now?

Pft, just means the dosage has to be increased.

Recruiting at work is enlightening, the trash applicants we get really shows me why I got this job.

Currently supposed to be rainy and cold on Saturday (high in the 50s), then dry out some (chance of scattered showers) and highs in the 60s and 70s next week.

We've been in a warm weather - rain - cool weather - warms up - pattern the last few weeks.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It's storming like hell here right now but at least no tornados, though it has gotten relatively cold.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

23 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

20 hours ago, melkathi said:

Aren't they both teenagers by now?

20 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

Yep, 12 and 15, so they can take something if they need it. But honestly they will probably be fine. I'm the one that will be a mess. :p

...in me experience, dunna let 'em sit together; you'll wanna throw 'em out the Emergency Exit by takeoff...🤣

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

• Haha 2

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

19 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

throbbing headache and chest hurt when ever move left hand in certain way

hope this is only caused by cold or fever

Have fun with your coronary, please let us know if you collapse and die so we don't worry. :yes: 

Spoiler

Good luck, hopefully everything will sort itself out.

Discovered that I already worked enough to earn a pension. If I would retire now I'd get a measly third of my current income, but there's a problem: I can only retire after working a certain amount of months to qualify and after reaching at least 65 years of age. I don't think I can fool the government into believing that I am much older than I am. Money would also be a bit tight. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Discovered that I already worked enough to earn a pension. If I would retire now I'd get a measly third of my current income, but there's a problem: I can only retire after working a certain amount of months to qualify and after reaching at least 65 years of age. I don't think I can fool the government into believing that I am much older than I am. Money would also be a bit tight. :p

As things stand at the moment, I'm going to get a 200€ pension when I'm 70. "Thankfully" the government steps in and guarantees atleast 900€, not that that actually is enough to cover anything nowadays.

My private pension is going to be a shotgun I think.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

5 hours ago, majestic said:

Have fun with your coronary, please let us know if you collapse and die so we don't worry. :yes: 

Reveal hidden contents

Good luck, hopefully everything will sort itself out.

4 hours ago, Azdeus said:

As things stand at the moment, I'm going to get a 200€ pension when I'm 70. "Thankfully" the government steps in and guarantees atleast 900€, not that that actually is enough to cover anything nowadays.

My private pension is going to be a shotgun I think.

...Jebus, y'all're in the wrong country's...I now takes in o'er a hundred grand a year on me Canadian Armed Forces pensions (I ain't just callin' it the Canadian Forces, despite thems takin' Armed out o' the name in the '90's after all that shyte in Somalia)...come live 'ere!!...

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

• Hmmm 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way