Cinema and Movie Thread: flickering images

Chairchucker

Speaking of Rogue One....Nobody (2021)

Bob Odenkirk becomes John Wick and Christopher Lloyd kills some guys with a shotgun. It's an action movie that's ridiculous and fun, nothing more needs to be said.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

5 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Bob Odenkirk becomes John Wick and Christopher Lloyd kills some guys with a shotgun. It's an action movie that's ridiculous and fun, nothing more needs to be said.

Reading Bob Odenkirk's book on making that movie was pretty hilarious. He's had a bizarre career.

7 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Just finished it and I agree. Hope they don't do a sequel.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

3 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

Reading Bob Odenkirk's book on making that movie was pretty hilarious. He's had a bizarre career.

A lot of the Mr Show guys have. Bob is a respected dramatic actor, David Cross is a top-tier comedian, Brian Posehn wrote comics for a minute, Jay Johnston got charged with some felonies, and Paul F Thompkins is forever associated with a dog who was on a very famous TV show back in the 90s. Very strange paths.

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

Just finished it and I agree. Hope they don't do a sequel.

I have some bad news, they are. And maybe a crossover with John Wick.

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I rewatched some Mr. Show episodes not too long ago and it absolutely holds up. Three Times One Minus One is still one of my all-time favorite skits.

"It's like I'm sayin', my man Pootie T is from the street, he gots to be able to walk across the street."

"I ain't got no flyin' shoes."

:lol:

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

On 7/20/2023 at 6:58 AM, Malcador said:

Still waiting for the Chewbacca series, all in Shyriiwook

Is this a joke or are they actually doing something like that? I like Chewie as a chr, but the scenes from Revenge of the Sith, plus ofc that ancient SW TV special (haha) made me realize I have no desire to see anything more of wookies.

Re: "Nobody" - I'd watch a sequel, not because of any expectations, but like how I used to watch silly movies just because of Nick Cage and Liam Neeson - although with the latter two I finally lost interest quite a while ago. If it's a Wick crossover tho - unsure. I lost interest in Wick fast after the first film, kinda like The Matrix.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Caught Kill Chain tonight.

Fairly simple concept, with Nicholas Cage leading the way with a very well paced story as a hotel shoot out between assassin's turns into a causal chain of events all tied together. Very low key pulp noir in its way, the assorted play of characters including the mix of crooked cops, femme fatale, hitmen, crime lords and former mercenaries. Mostly subtle actions points held together with a lot of dialogue.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Barbie is actually a good movie.

It has the odd preachy moment, but is overall fun.

The main issue I have is that the Ken song is close to 4 minutes in length and probably the peak of the movie, making it hard to then find a significant Barbie ending to a movie titled "Barbie" and not "Ken" or "Just Ken" or "The Patriarchy is not about men riding horses".

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe they split Spiderman Across the Spiderverse in to 2 parts and on such a cliffhanger. I thought we were past this ****. Had I known I would have waited for the second part... Also the quality of the animation took a nosedive in this one. You can see as the movie progresses how the backgrounds disappear and in some scenes even some characters lose detail. Guess they didn't have the time in this one. Overall I liked it and had fun.

Been back to an actual theater after 3 years. Oppenheimer is pretty good, Nolan still uses sound like a cudgel, which after 3 hour exhausts you. I won't say the film was too long, because I wasn't bored at any point, but I would have had a better experience watching it at home. I got a lot of Memento vibes from it.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Been back to an actual theater after 3 years. Oppenheimer is pretty good, Nolan still uses sound like a cudgel, which after 3 hour exhausts you. I won't say the film was too long, because I wasn't bored at any point, but I would have had a better experience watching it at home. I got a lot of Memento vibes from it.

I watched the RLM review for it and the sound/music design seemed to be Mike's biggest complaint (and Jay's until he got used it after the first hour), and it kinda set me against watching it. Overbearing, inappropriate sound design is utterly wearisome. They compared the film to 12 Angry Men, and then joked about inexplicably setting it to some generic trash-heap Hans Zimmer score and how much it would wreck the film, then actually made a separate video showing just that a couple of days later and I was like "okay, so I guess I shouldn't watch Oppenheimer, because yeah, I get really annoyed by that crap".

So obnoxious. Shut up with your gosh-awful score and just let the characters speak and scenes play naturally...and while you're at it, make sure that we can actually hear them and that you haven't mixed the audio so badly that entire lines are completely inaudible. It's not a problem unique to Nolan by any means, but he seems to be one of the worst and most high profile offenders of it.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

43 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I watched the RLM review for it and the sound/music design seemed to be Mike's biggest complaint (and Jay's until he got used it after the first hour), and it kinda set me against watching it. Overbearing, inappropriate sound design is utterly wearisome. They compared the film to 12 Angry Men, and then joked about inexplicably setting it to some generic trash-heap Hans Zimmer score and how much it would wreck the film, then actually made a separate video showing just that a couple of days later and I was like "okay, so I guess I shouldn't watch Oppenheimer, because yeah, I get really annoyed by that crap".

So obnoxious. Shut up with your gosh-awful score and just let the characters speak and scenes play naturally...and while you're at it, make sure that we can actually hear them and that you haven't mixed the audio so badly that entire lines are completely inaudible. It's not a problem unique to Nolan by any means, but he seems to be one of the worst and most high profile offenders of it.

He toned it way down since Tenant, that one I had to plug my ears watching because it physically hurt me in some scenes. The bigger issue with Oppenheimer is that the soundtrack tries to highlight every scene as if it's equally important to every other scene and after 3 hours of that you end up mentally exhausted. I would say give it a watch at home, where you can take a break, because the movie is worth the watch and there is nothing in it that benefits from seeing it on the big screen.

• Like 1

I watched Barbie about a week ago. It was great. Had some fantastic Mattel toy humor and was a bit more emotionally stirring than I expected. But honestly, it's not really a movie for me. It's a movie that speaks to the 3 generations of women I have living in my household. I don't get why there are men who don't get that. There are some dumb dudes out there.

• Gasp! 1

20 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

I watched Barbie about a week ago. It was great. Had some fantastic Mattel toy humor and was a bit more emotionally stirring than I expected. But honestly, it's not really a movie for me. It's a movie that speaks to the 3 generations of women I have living in my household. I don't get why there are men who don't get that. There are some dumb dudes out there.

I have not seen Barbie yet, but the way some men have not shut up about the movie I have to wonder if Margot Robbie executed their favorite toys on screen.

• Haha 1

On 8/9/2023 at 5:38 AM, Sarex said:

He toned it way down since Tenant, that one I had to plug my ears watching because it physically hurt me in some scenes. The bigger issue with Oppenheimer is that the soundtrack tries to highlight every scene as if it's equally important to every other scene and after 3 hours of that you end up mentally exhausted. I would say give it a watch at home, where you can take a break, because the movie is worth the watch and there is nothing in it that benefits from seeing it on the big screen.

I'd just read American Prometheus

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I watched the new Indina Jones movie, and to my big surprise, it did not suck completely. It was too long for its own good and conveniently dropped a plot point near the end to get it over with, but otherwise I was never bored enough to pick the film apart. Which is as good as it gets in this day and age.

Guess following Crystal Skull helped. That turd would make rotten bread look good next to it.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I treated They Live very seriously when I watched it, and so I thought it was pretty awful. If I had known in advance that John Carpenter explicitly intended for it to be a scathing but humorous criticism of 1980s capitalistic America and its conservative politics, I probably would've enjoyed it more. Alas, the lack of context and my own inability to read the room doomed it for me. Perhaps worth a re-watch at some point.

14 hours ago, Amentep said:

Enter the Clones of BruceVC

Man, I can't even handle one Bruce, never mind a whole bunch of clones.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Man, I can't even handle one Bruce, never mind a whole bunch of clones.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of that.

Anyways They Live is a treasure and is somehow even more relevant now. I would definitely recommend giving it another shot if you are so inclined.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Amentep said:

Hah, I remember Spoony reviewing that, back when his lunacy wasn't exposed

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 8/15/2023 at 6:03 AM, majestic said:

I watched the new Indina Jones movie, and to my big surprise, it did not suck completely. It was too long for its own good and conveniently dropped a plot point near the end to get it over with, but otherwise I was never bored enough to pick the film apart. Which is as good as it gets in this day and age.

Guess following Crystal Skull helped. That turd would make rotten bread look good next to it.

Crystal Skull isn't horrible...for the first 45 minutes. Sure, most of the action looks pretty sloppy, it's a bit of a shock to see a significantly reduced Indiana Jones doddering about, there's already too much CGI, the nuke-refrigerator scene is kind of dumb (though that's really more just symbolic of the film feeling wholly silly and unreal in both tone and style - you can immediately feel that trademark George Lucas-ian lack of restraint even though he's not actually in the director's chair), and maybe Shia LaBeouf with his little tough boy act is a bit off-putting...but otherwise, it's not totally lost by that point. Most of the dialogue is fine, the motorcycle chase scene is pretty decent, and they're doing a funny thematic thing with Indy kind of turning into his father along with some other stuff... Alas, there turned out to be a few other issues with the film thereafter.

I'm curious to see how much I hate Dial of Destiny.