What You've Done Today - Keep Dreaming...

Raithe

My Blackberry KeyOne is starting to show it's age, and I'm partially poking around at possible replacement options.

Alas, since Blackberry have now discontinued phone production I'm going to be forced to another type of smartphone... 😵

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

in early 2021 our kyocera dura flip phone became non-functional 'cause it were only compatible up to 3g. we got some kinda samsung android thing as a free replacement, but am admitted much missing the kyocera. were so nice having a phone which were flawless for voice calls and rugged enough to handle Gromnir mountain bike falls/crashes and the like. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well, this time all the rain and the oversaturated higher section of the yard decided to pool up ground water that overflowed over and down the higher wall/walkway behind the pool, so all this dirty water rivered into the pool. The pool is now all cloudy. Which doesn't bother me at all but hubby was worrying whether the pool filter would clean it out effectively, eventually.

Not saying it's not nice to have one I suppose, but the extra work, care and cost (replacing pool filter parts or the auto-pool vacuum if you have one can get expensive...) is one reason why I've never cared about having one and it wouldn't be on my "must haves" when home buying. Hubby wants it, he takes care of it. 😛

If I was really into swimming for daily exercise (hubby isn't...), I'd rather build a room to house one of those small inifini pools where water pressure keeps you swimming in place or something to that effect. Or just go to the YMCA or something else cheap/similar.

Edit: I know California needs the rain (when does it not, technically) but it would be nice if there were more breaks inbetween. Crazy weather this year all over.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

Not saying it's not nice to have one I suppose, but the extra work, care and cost (replacing pool filter parts or the auto-pool vacuum if you have one can get expensive...) is one reason why I've never cared about having one and it wouldn't be on my "must haves" when home buying. Hubby wants it, he takes care of it.

Im with you here. The first house I ever bought had an in-ground 9' deep pool (with diving board) and I loved it...for a little while...then the shine got knocked right off that apple. Even considering that I actually found it relaxing to scoop the leaves and debris out of the water, having to do it every single day, and keep the pH right, just became a pita.

The day is actually turning out to be having a bit of an odd turn mood-wise.

Some quirks with work, fires in the data center yesterday, and being told to work from home today then the expected IT issues.  There is a gloom-ridden air to the weather, a few strange things going on with some friends leaving me in a bit of a wistful mood.

Hospital appointment tomorrow with my father's consultant to go over what the scans just before Christmas showed.  Trying to ponder on issues with potential mortgages and dad's house going forward, and the odds of buying my sister out or selling it together and getting a place of my own - then dealing with the stress of moving and filtering alllll the stuff that's built up over the years, plus my personal library.. Then the balance of if a mortgage would leave me with enough flush cash to actually enjoy life and travel depending on what I do.

The friends I was just with out in California are planning to spend Halloween in New Orleans, and have invited me along to that with a "Hey, we have a small villa booked, but if you want to join we can upgrade to a bigger one." so I'm giving consideration to that. Even more long term planning...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Im with you here. The first house I ever bought had an in-ground 9' deep pool (with diving board) and I loved it...for a little while...then the shine got knocked right off that apple. Even considering that I actually found it relaxing to scoop the leaves and debris out of the water, having to do it every single day, and keep the pH right, just became a pita.

*Laughs in lake right next to my house*

It does have its drawbacks though, but mostly perks. 😃

Edited by Azdeus
  • Haha 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

19 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I have a sliding scale with lakes:

On a boat/jet ski/tube? Hell yeah let the good times roll.

Swimming in the lake? Eh, if I get hot or have to pee.

Walking into a lake? Do not like! Mud and decayed vegetation between my toes gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Motorized watercraft are illegal in my lake since it is a water source, I drink straight from it just filtering out silt basically, but rowing boats and electric motors, perfect for fishing 👌

Swimming? Hell yes. Spend some time in the sauna or hot tub, and then jump into the water, year round, it's pure awesome.

Walking into the lake in early spring is generally terrible, I'll agree with you there, tonnes of silt, leaves and such is quite icky. Easilly solved though. Bathe all year round 😎

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I'm very close to dropping Waste Management for trash services and just paying more for a better service. They haven't picked up my garbage in 2 and half weeks and it's supposed to be weekly. On top of that they keep changing my pickup day which while not terrible is super annoying.

Free games updated 3/4/21

49 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I'm very close to dropping Waste Management for trash services and just paying more for a better service. They haven't picked up my garbage in 2 and half weeks and it's supposed to be weekly. On top of that they keep changing my pickup day which while not terrible is super annoying.

For residential pickup you deal with the company directly ? Always had public pickup, although half the city is private but they are contracted out to the municipal government.  Not even sure why the city went with GFL, other than obvious corruption, public pickup has been ok for me, 10 years and maybe 5-6 issues during that time and nothing colossal (they collected the trash the next day most of the time).

Spending my day working in Excel.  So...more crushing boredom than usual

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Came across a catchy Russian song, turns out it's pretty much an elegy to the Orlan :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yep, I get email and text updates if they have to reschedule for any reason and I also check the website around any holidays just in case because I'm always afraid they'll try to blame me for missed pickups. I'm a bit paranoid because of some dealings I've had with other businesses so my default mode is CYA when dealing with most companies because I've gotten screwed before, and not in a good way.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

8 hours ago, Raithe said:

The friends I was just with out in California are planning to spend Halloween in New Orleans, and have invited me along to that with a "Hey, we have a small villa booked, but if you want to join we can upgrade to a bigger one." so I'm giving consideration to that. Even more long term planning...

new orleans is one o' our favorite US cities to visit due in no small part to fact we enjoy good food and music. is the only location we look for turtle soup on every menu.

in the US, august and september is historical the months hardest hit by hurricanes, but recent years has seen october in new orleans suffer more than its share o' cataclysmic weather events. october is technical hurricane season although late october is ordinarily swell kinda weather with nice temps and more overcast than storms, but am mentioning 'cause in our experience englishmen is frequent nonplussed by "extreme" US weather. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Re: natural water features: I don't like the slimy-toes or not seeing where I'm stepping either, but don't mind floating or paddling around in a lazy and muddy looking river, as long as the feet don't have to touch ground for more than 5 seconds at a time. 😛  That said as I think I've said before I'm not a huge fan of being in big open water etc, - boats are fine - so mostly I like to look at them, or to watch wildlife interact with them.

I like/enjoy river/stream swimming holes and/or small waterfalls a lot more than giant lakes or oceans. Having one of these in an extended backyard would be nice.

8072328678_f87f5c4ac6_b-700x466.jpg

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

23 hours ago, ShadySands said:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Making a check list of things I've done, things I've got to do, and what needs to be done in the way of prep and painting when the weather clears up...

tyttk9K.jpg

vT2dW8U.jpg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I've beat the rona for the 2nd or 3rd time and it was a miserable experience. Happy to say that I am able to focus on something without a blistering headache for the first time in a week.

• Like 6

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

38 minutes ago, Space KP, Baby said:

I've beat the rona for the 2nd or 3rd time and it was a miserable experience. Happy to say that I am able to focus on something without a blistering headache for the first time in a week.

Mine started 2 hours after midnight on newyears, still have a light cough. Everyone seems to be sick.

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

Mine started 2 hours after midnight on newyears, still have a light cough. Everyone seems to be sick.

It seems like there's a wave going on here, last time I was out it seemed like half of people were coughing.

Hope you sail through ok.

Edited by Space KP, Baby

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I still don't know if I've ever had the Rona. I suspect I have, given my job and all the people I'm constantly around at truck stops, but I've never gotten tested because I've never had a reason to get tested. I'm either really lucky and have completely avoided it for 3 years or I'm really lucky and have been asymptomatic.:shrugz:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, Space KP, Baby said:

Hope you sail through ok.

I'm good now, all in all the symptoms were really light this time around. Probably because last time I had it was like half a year ago. Glad to hear you are better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP