Ukraine Conflict

Chilloutman

Ah yes, both sides ignored it and so everyone in the dirt, absolutely, yes. Fact that one of the "sides" just ripped a chunk of land from another and wages war in another corner of your country does mean nothing, because we must be clinically unbiased whenever russia is involved, right? Cause bias is not infinite resource, see, gotta save it for them evil colonialist Western countries and their dastardly allies like Israel, Turkey and Arabs. Russia? Can do no wrong We must be unbiased.                                     Also, of course Zelensky can get away with awful lot because he is western backed and totally not because his country is in the state of emergency due to its neighbour waging eradication war (have you listened to their propaganda lately, by the way? All the "denazification" bull**** is long gone, now its surprisingly candid "Ukraine is not a real country and should not exist") against you.

Edited by bugarup
Paragraphs are verboten again. >:(
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, bugarup said:

Fact that one of the "sides" just ripped a chunk of land from another and wages war in another corner of your country does mean nothing

We are talking about the west right? Or does the middle east not exist? Let's also not forget Kosovo and the ethnic cleansing that Croatia did in their "Oluja" operation that was fully sanctioned by the west.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

6 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Zelensky has banned opposition parties and proposed banning the Ukrainian Orthodox Church as well as bringing in penalties for speaking Russian (ah yes, I remember well when persecution of Russian speakers was 'Fake News' and would never happen, after Maidan...). He's not even relatively progressive.

You can get away with an awful lot when you're western backed and the media won't report on anything negative.

That is absolute bull**** Russian propaganda. Russian language was never penalized. Zelenskyi is Russian speaking Ukrainian, he started to speak Ukrainian only after he has become Ukrainian president. I have never met a single Russian speaking Ukrainian, which has in any way prohibited to speak Russian language... I had also taken care of two Russian speaking Ukrainian teenagers, who started to speak Ukrainian only after the start of the war, and up until this day they speak more often Russian than Ukrainian, I have Ukrainian colleagues from Kharkiv, who was also never forced to speak Ukrainian. It might be probably surprise to you, but neither of them are now speaking how the evil West is at fault for all the **** happening in their country, as you do... Hell even my country has more strict laws for speaking Hungarian/Polish/Ukrainian at the municipality or state level than Ukraine has about Russian language...

Banning any church, which is openly collaborating with a country which is occupying you, is reasonably enough.

EDIT: The Russian speaking teenage girl I was taking care of with my wife, has run away from Doneck Oblast. Her city was no bombarded at the time, but guess what. All of her Russian speaking family, including pro-soviet grandparents evacuated to Krivyi Rih. To the "evil" Ukraine, which "oppressed" them their whole life... They did not think for a second, that they would ever voluntarily escape to Russia...

Edited by Mamoulian War
  • Like 6

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Not gonna edit it further, but we have experienced also for tankies and vatniks surely very strange things with refugees. In Slovakia, only very few people actually speak Ukrainian language. So the communications with refugees was handled exclusively in Russian language. The only complaints about this, which I have noticed in the last 9 months, were suggestions voiced by Russian speaking Ukrainians, which kindly asked our volunteers to rather rewrite all the Russian language signs and notices to Ukrainian language. And surprise surprise, they submitted this suggestion in Russian language. Surely that was also a sign of how very oppressed they were at home…

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

9 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

bringing in penalties for speaking Russian (ah yes, I remember well when persecution of Russian speakers was 'Fake News' and would never happen, after Maidan...).

I can't find anything on this, can you hit me with a source?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

13 minutes ago, Make a contract with KP said:

Maybe related to https://www.hrw.org/news/2022/01/19/new-language-requirement-raises-concerns-ukraine

"The law aims to revitalize the Ukrainian language and is part of government efforts to reinforce national identity after the fall of the Soviet Union. Some officials called it essential for Ukraine’s national security. Public opinion polls indicate that at least 60 percent of Ukrainians support certain provisions of the law.

Article 25, regarding print media outlets, makes exceptions for certain minority languages, English, and official EU languages, but not for Russian. Ukrainian authorities justify this by referring to the country’s European ambitions and “the century of oppression of … Ukrainian in favor of Russian.”

There are concerns about whether guarantees for minority languages are sufficient. The Venice Commission, the Council of Europe’s top advisory body on constitutional matters, said that several of the law’s articles, including article 25, “failed to strike a fair balance” between promoting the Ukrainian language and safeguarding minorities’ linguistic rights. It stated that “historical oppression of Ukrainian ... may lead to the adoption of positive measures aimed at promoting Ukrainian, but this cannot justify depriving the Russian language and its speakers of the protection granted to other languages…”"

18 hours ago, pmp10 said:

When you hear Macron or Scholtz speak on 'new security arrangements' I get the impression they are hinting something more.
Ukraine has no reason to trust another version of Minsk accords, moreover (if the diplomatic leaks are trustworthy) no country would agree to guarantee their security during the talks in April.
On the Russian side the demands were to push-back NATO to 1997 status and now claiming parts of Ukraine they don't even control.

I have no idea how they want to square this particular circle but maybe the idea is just to start talking. 

That would be hilarious to see the diplomatic storm if they did that, kicking out half the alliance. I'd always thought the carrot would be Ukraine not in NATO for some number of years if anything.  

6 hours ago, Sarex said:

We are talking about the west right? Or does the middle east not exist? Let's also not forget Kosovo and the ethnic cleansing that Croatia did in their "Oluja" operation that was fully sanctioned by the west.

Who's going to whine about whataboutism to you, you figure ?

• Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

7 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Maybe related to https://www.hrw.org/news/2022/01/19/new-language-requirement-raises-concerns-ukraine

"The law aims to revitalize the Ukrainian language and is part of government efforts to reinforce national identity after the fall of the Soviet Union. Some officials called it essential for Ukraine’s national security. Public opinion polls indicate that at least 60 percent of Ukrainians support certain provisions of the law.

Article 25, regarding print media outlets, makes exceptions for certain minority languages, English, and official EU languages, but not for Russian. Ukrainian authorities justify this by referring to the country’s European ambitions and “the century of oppression of … Ukrainian in favor of Russian.”

There are concerns about whether guarantees for minority languages are sufficient. The Venice Commission, the Council of Europe’s top advisory body on constitutional matters, said that several of the law’s articles, including article 25, “failed to strike a fair balance” between promoting the Ukrainian language and safeguarding minorities’ linguistic rights. It stated that “historical oppression of Ukrainian ... may lead to the adoption of positive measures aimed at promoting Ukrainian, but this cannot justify depriving the Russian language and its speakers of the protection granted to other languages…”"

Thanks. That law sounds ****ed and Poroshenko is a ****.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

4 hours ago, Make a contract with KP said:

Malc has pretty well covered the law part, guess that leaves...

8 hours ago, Mamoulian War said:

That is absolute bull**** Russian propaganda. Russian language was never penalized.

..the law and penalties actually being applied. I doubt the fine levied by the "Commission for the Protection of the State Language" would be considered particularly egregious, but labeling use of Russian as "profane" is certainly indicative of where the commissar wants things to go.

17 hours ago, pmp10 said:

Patriot missiles are in serious consideration for Ukraine.
I admin I didn't see it coming.

Delivery would likely take at least half a year which means US is resigning itself to a long slog. 

Im honestly surprised you thought the West\US wasn't committed to Ukraine?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Expensive gifts for Christmas.  Guess the Russians will try to focus on those, easier than hunting HIMARS.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 12/14/2022 at 4:41 PM, Malcador said:

At least Russia acts fast, as they soldiers were already securing rights of Russian speaking Ukrainian's just month after law was introduced

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

Expensive gifts for Christmas.  Guess the Russians will try to focus on those, easier than hunting HIMARS.

Russia does not have dedicated anti-air counter force, so their result maybe even less impressive as their HIMARS hunting. As anti-air platforms are usually in deep in enemy territory (especially long range systems like patriot) where only air force is able to operate with some efficiently and anti-air systems are designed to counter and destroy air force units. So it is quite suicidal job for anyone doing it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Elerond said:

Russia does not have dedicated anti-air counter force, so their result maybe even less impressive as their HIMARS hunting. As anti-air platforms are usually in deep in enemy territory (especially long range systems like patriot) where only air force is able to operate with some efficiently and anti-air systems are designed to counter and destroy air force units. So it is quite suicidal job for anyone doing it.

Well the HIM part of HIMARS is what makes them hard to hunt, I don't think the Patriots are as mobile and also are defensive so less proactive so to speak.  Probably wouldn't be effective to try to rush it with drones or missiles but would be an easier attempt.

Economist had a bunch of interview with Ukrainian officials and such, this one was interesting

An interview with General Valery Zaluzhny, head of Ukraine’s armed forces (archive)

"TE: What do you make of Russia’s mobilisation?

VZ: Russian mobilisation has worked. It is not true that their problems are so dire that these people will not fight. They will. A tsar tells them to go to war, and they go to war. I’ve studied the history of the two Chechen wars—it was the same. They may not be that well equipped, but they still present a problem for us. We estimate that they have a reserve of 1.2m-1.5m people… The Russians are preparing some 200,000 fresh troops. I have no doubt they will have another go at Kyiv"

Not sure if the talk of this second offensive is just more scaremongering for the wishlist.

Edited by Malcador
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Not sure if the talk of this second offensive is just more scaremongering for the wishlist.

You famously cynical, why ? :lol:

But Im sure its both, its both a  real Ukrainian concern and its fear mongering  to  ensure Western\US aid doesnt stop 

And I dont blame the Ukrainians  because there war effort is largely  dependant on continuous military aid 🇺🇦

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Russia has not yet deployed majority of their conscripts to Ukraine.
The questions are more of 'when will they start' and 'how far they will get'. 

Edited by pmp10
  • Hmmm 1

4 hours ago, pmp10 said:

Expectation.... as far as their initial push against Kiev from the north?

During WWII the Soviet army needed enough conscripts to survive for long enough to eventually build a core of semi competent troops - like the kind that spend more time firing bullets at the enemy than pillaging and raping the local population wherever they went. They still did that of course, but they got better at the fighting part of over the years.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

5 hours ago, pmp10 said:

Seems like a bad idea, but guess we'll see. Ukraine is pretty thin in the north as well, granted is just from OSINT types that are pro-UA.

7 hours ago, Gorth said:

Expectation.... as far as their initial push against Kiev from the north?

During WWII the Soviet army needed enough conscripts to survive for long enough to eventually build a core of semi competent troops - like the kind that spend more time firing bullets at the enemy than pillaging and raping the local population wherever they went. They still did that of course, but they got better at the fighting part of over the years.

With conscript forces there is no telling what they are capable of. 
Both on battlefield and off. 

But the initial 100k or so seems to have stabilized the lines and helped cover the retreat from Kherson.
So chances are that next 200k would make some gains. 

2 hours ago, pmp10 said:

With conscript forces there is no telling what they are capable of. 
Both on battlefield and off. 

But the initial 100k or so seems to have stabilized the lines and helped cover the retreat from Kherson.
So chances are that next 200k would make some gains. 

...and the next 100k-300k might indeed make some gains. The next 500k+ would make it a war of attrition that few countries can keep up with. Russia can take 3/1 casualty rates and still bleed Ukraine dry. A year ago I would have thought it a stupid approach. But I would also have thought invading Ukraine a stupid idea about a year ago. Some things and situations just defy logic.

Edit: Unconfirmed rumours have it that close to a million conscripts are being whipped into obedience. Sounds like Putin is going to repeat the English and their brilliant strategy at the Somme offensive.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

16 hours ago, Gorth said:

That was done by every army that was winning and in enemy territory. Part and parcel of wars.

Any war is a stupid idea.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP