Ukraine Conflict

Chilloutman

9 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

And, of course, Christmastime in Russia is still nearly two weeks away (January 8th) since they're Orthodox.

These days it probably needs to be specified as Russian Orthodox as Ukraine's Orthodox church moved to use Gregorian calendar and had their Christmas already

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Malcador said:

The price of Ural is already long time under the price cap. And China and India will definitely not pay more, just because of Putins beautiful eyes 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

There are rumours in Russia, that Rogozin blames “traitors” inside Russia, that they have given intel on his birthday party to Ukrainian side.

Whenever rumours are mentioned, I am reminded of an exchange in the Sandman comics: "Only a fool listen to rumours", says the first person. "Only a fool ignores them", says the second.

Can't remember who they are, except that Morpheus is one of them. Anyway, excellently put. That's how rumours are.

27 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

Whenever rumours are mentioned, I am reminded of an exchange in the Sandman comics: "Only a fool listen to rumours", says the first person. "Only a fool ignores them", says the second.

Can't remember who they are, except that Morpheus is one of them. Anyway, excellently put. That's how rumours are.

Could not agree more with the both statements :)

3 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

What about Danes? Do they follow the custom of celebrating Christmas on the eve, i.e. 24th, or is the big day the Christmas day, i.e. 25th? There are interesting differences here, too. (In Finland, the big day is the eve, that's when children get their presents.)

Same as Austria (reading  the post by@majestic). We "celebrate" on the 24th, kill our cardiovascular systems and livers on the 25th and nurse the hangovers on the 26th

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Just now, Gorth said:

We "celebrate" on the 24th, kill our cardiovascular systems and livers on the 25th and nurse the hangovers on the 26th

...and head to the gym, completely committed, on January 2nd. (Supposedly. I'm guessing a bit here.)

Dang, if only it was possible to bet against other people's New Year's Resolutions. There'd be some serious easy money in that.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

"Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see."

Nah, here that only applies if it's bad news for your team. 

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Some interesting predictions by Michael Kofman.

22 hours ago, Malcador said:

That was a long wait for quite a standard response with some opt-outs. 
Seems both sides are being really cautious about the energy markets. 

Edited by pmp10

10 hours ago, Sarex said:

Gorth is right, it's Jan 7th.

hah, serves me right for being a smart arse while not checking.

8 hours ago, Elerond said:

These days it probably needs to be specified as Russian Orthodox as Ukraine's Orthodox church moved to use Gregorian calendar and had their Christmas already

To be finicky, not much Ukrainian Orthodox presence at Christmas time, in Russia, though.

Both the Ukrainian Orthodox churches still use Gregorian, at the moment. UOC allows services on Dec 25th though, as of this year.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

hah, serves me right for being a smart arse while not checking.

To be finicky, not much Ukrainian Orthodox presence at Christmas time, in Russia, though.

Both the Ukrainian Orthodox churches still use Gregorian, at the moment. UOC allows services on Dec 25th though, as of this year.

Do you mean Julian?

Question does it matter if Russia does not have much of Ukrainian Orthodox, in case of thinking that "since they're Orthodox." is explanation for something when Orthodox churches have started to split which calendar they use? Orthodox like all Christians celebrate Christmas December 25th, but Orthodox churches didn't switch to use Gregorian calendar, when it was released probably because it was done by Catholic church.   25th of December by Julian calendar currently hits to January 7th in Gregorian calendar (date is slowly moving towards summer because Julian calendar does not have leap years to even out fact that Earth doe not go around the Sun in 365 days, but in 365.256 days).

11 minutes ago, Elerond said:

Do you mean Julian?

No, I most definitely mean Gregorian. Not many people know this, but Julius Caesar was actually G. Iulius Caesar. With the G standing for... Gregorius, obviously. The Julian calendar was actually invented by catholics in the 16th century which is why Orthodox christians hated it (Pope Julius II, hence the name of the calendar. One of the more memorable characters in 'The Borgias' TV show and nicely played by Colm Feore too)

Spoiler

The January 8th one was definitely not deliberate, that one most definitely was.

I was sorely tempted to have della Rovere (--> Julius II) be a character in the Medici TV show instead, but somehow resisted the urge.

Question does it matter if Russia does not have much of Ukrainian Orthodox, in case of thinking that "since they're Orthodox." is explanation for something when Orthodox churches have started to split which calendar they use? Orthodox like all Christians celebrate Christmas December 25th, but Orthodox churches didn't switch to use Gregorian calendar, when it was released probably because it was done by Catholic church.   25th of December by Julian calendar currently hits to January 7th in Gregorian calendar (date is slowly moving towards summer because Julian calendar does not have leap years to even out fact that Earth doe not go around the Sun in 365 days, but in 365.256 days).

Both the countries relevant to this thread, and the one actually specified, celebrate on January 7th though. Not really necessary to specify which branch of the Orthodox church in those circumstances unless you're really being picky about things.

Yeah, Romania/ Bulgaria/ Greece and some others celebrate on Dec 25th, but then your argument is "but what about Greece, Romania or Bulgaria?" and, well, we all know what happens then.

7 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Both the countries relevant to this thread, and the one actually specified, celebrate on January 7th though. Not really necessary to specify which branch of the Orthodox church in those circumstances unless you're really being picky about things.

Yeah, Romania/ Bulgaria/ Greece and some others celebrate on Dec 25th, but then your argument is "but what about Greece, Romania or Bulgaria?" and, well, we all know what happens then.

My original point was that Ukraine's Orthodox announced calendar reform 24th of December of this year (according to Gregorian calendar), that they will switch to use Gregorian calendar (Of course full calendar reform probably will take sometime). So in future Russian orthodox church will be last major orthodox church that will use Julian calendar.

1 hour ago, Elerond said:

So in future Russian orthodox church will be last major orthodox church that will use Julian calendar.

Serbia still observes Christmas on the 7th, Egypt too.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Orthodox Christmas is now the evil one.

• Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

only correct day of Christmas is 24th.. barbarians...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

18 hours ago, Sarex said:

Confirms you are not a Russian at least. 😛

That's just what a Russian would do to trick you.

86e.png

Edited by Space KP, Baby
Evil software
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

So, apparently, the "special operation" is not directed against Ukraine. Russia is simply responding to a Western attack that has been in preparation for eight years and whose aim is to destroy Russia and enslave Russians, or something along those lines. It's absolutely mad, but I suppose there are plenty of people willing to swallow it.

Remember, war is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.

https://meduza.io/feature/2022/12/30/meduza-poluchila-metodichku-kremlya-o-tom-kak-propagandisty-dolzhny-podvodit-itogi-2022-goda

It's odd to see all the takes people have on the conflict. For example, our Serbian contributor @Sarex recently suggested that a particular development in the war demonstrated the West's or NATO's desire to get involved. I thought this was a mightily peculiar way to look at it: surely the West and NATO (whichever it was he was alluding to) has had the best part of the year to enter the fight, to deploy troops etc. But it hasn't done it. If it really wanted to do it, well, I suppose it would have done it months and months ago.

But Russia's take is surely far beyond that, it's simply absurd. I've said it before, but along with everything else, it's absolutely fascinating to see how Russia can be both an extremely brutal murderer and a completely innocent victim at the same time.

• Hmmm 1

Funny part is, if 'west' wanted to ever invade Russia, there were plenty of good opportunities after soviet collapse, why it waited until Ukraine found gas deposits is baffling...

• Like 4

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

9 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

Funny part is, if 'west' wanted to ever invade Russia, there were plenty of good opportunities after soviet collapse, why it waited until Ukraine found gas deposits is baffling...

Indeed. Or (as I've said before) if anyone wants to invade Russia, the perfect opportunity has been there for months: the western flank of Russia is open for all invaders, just go. But no one wants to.

It's really very unfortunate that facts are irrelevant when it comes to paranoia.

The Inquisitor is on to you, Sarex!