The All Things Political Topic - Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation

Gromnir

While I am tempted to put this in the funny things thread....

Edited by Raithe
  • Confused 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Just now, Gorth said:

Unfortunately that doesn't apply to Australia

Gorthfusious, arent you worried you going to arrested? You often criticize the Oz government ... I like you and I dont want you to end up in jail :(

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

Gorthfusious, arent you worried you going to arrested? You often criticize the Oz government ... I like you and I dont want you to end up in jail :(

My mouth has occasionally gotten me into trouble (since early childhood), but I wouldn't change my nature to appease a government. Besides, the current government isn't too bad. Those who got arrested were more prominent Youtube mini-celebs who called out the corruption of the right wing government. It wasn't only the few independent media, that Morrsion sic'ed the federal police on in order to silence them.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

18 minutes ago, Gorth said:

My mouth has occasionally gotten me into trouble (since early childhood), but I wouldn't change my nature to appease a government. Besides, the current government isn't too bad. Those who got arrested were more prominent Youtube mini-celebs who called out the corruption of the right wing government. It wasn't only the few independent media, that Morrsion sic'ed the federal police on in order to silence them.

Do you have links around why these mini-celebrities were arrested, I am always interested when freedom of speech in Western countries is infringed on

But as long as the hotties from Juice Media aren't arrested Im happy 💞

• Haha 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

15 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Do you have links around why these mini-celebrities were arrested, I am always interested when freedom of speech in Western countries is infringed on

But as long as the hotties from Juice Media aren't arrested Im happy 💞

As far as I know, nobody has touched Juice Media at the time of writing.

Somebody who did get prosecuted:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/mar/17/friendlyjordies-producer-kristo-langker-considers-civil-action-over-nsw-arrest

The charges came just weeks after Barilaro sued Langker’s boss, the FriendlyJordies’ comedian Jordan Shanks, for defamation over what he described as a series of “vile and racist” videos that had brought him into “public disrepute, odium, ridicule and contempt”.

But police last week sensationally dropped the case, with the NSW police ordered to pay costs of $12,000 to Langker’s legal team.

The tl;dr; the pretext was "stalking" because they follow the politicians (in public spaces) and document their activities

Edit: The police effectively just barged in, knocked his mother over and handcuffed him, dragging him to a cell

Video footage uploaded to YouTube of the arrest includes a period of commotion in which the camera is lowered, and his mother can be heard exclaiming she was knocked over and that a police officer had assaulted her.

A police officer can be heard in the video denying that accusation, saying he tripped over.

Edit2: NSW (a state in Australia) is ruled by the same party as Scott Morrison, the Australian Liberal Party. Hence why this takes place in NSW

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Moved a few posts from the Ukraine thread, as it was unrelated to events there...

https://twitter.com/IJ

be outraged, but these kinda ordinances is common nowadays. ain't as if the folks o' bullhead is noteworthy in their infamy. is even illegal in more than a few communities to feed homeless persons on private property unless the property is zoned for charitable efforts and/or the property owner has obtained special permits from the local municipality.

• Gasp! 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The land of the free.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

1 hour ago, Pidesco said:

The land of the free.

I dont know Pidesco she could be an extremist or gang leader....you can never be too cautious nowadays. You just dont know  anymore :(

John Milton 

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/news/us-embassy-south-africa-terrorist-attack-sandton-breaking-26-october/

South Africa has received an alert from the US about a possible Islamic extremist attack this weekend. Its  gay pride this weekend in the area mentioned so people are nervous. The last US alert we got was initially ignored and handwaved with the  outdated " its Islamophobia to suggest this " card and then several South Africans were arrested with links to ISIS and they were planning an attack 

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/news/south-africa/thulsie-twins-plea-bargain-sentenced-breaking-7-february-2022/

We have never had  a  real Islamic extremism  attack before but several African countries  face this type of terrorism fairly regularly. In fact Africa is the only continent that still does because of active groups like Boko Haram and Al-Shabaab 

One of the biggest concerns for me is we have no effective state security or experience with dealing with type of terrorism so I hope nothing transpires?

John Milton 

mHjrnsX_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

Heja Sverige!!

11 hours ago, Pidesco said:

mHjrnsX_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

This makes accurate points and  highlights some of  the absurd outcomes of changing R vs W 

John Milton 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/elon-musk-officially-closes-twitter-011027946.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Musk takeover of Twitter is completed and his had fired 4 executive

He is also likely to restore Trumps account which I support. We have to be consistent on what we consider freedom of speech is and the problem with banning Trump is it fed the right wing  hyperbolic narrative that " freedom of speech is under attack" in the US 

Also there does seem to be more Conservatives that get banned on Twitter for spreading fake news yet you dont see people on the left and there fake news or revisionist  history being banned

So I support Twitter going back to its original purpose, a place of free speech for everyone. People will believe what they want to believe but these types of SM platforms need to be neutral. Hate speech wont be allowed 

" Musk also promised that Twitter would not turn into a “free-for-all hellscape, where anything can be said with no consequences!”  which is reassuring 

• Haha 1

John Milton 

00ELON-maxwell-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg

• Like 2
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

14 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Also there does seem to be more Conservatives that get banned on Twitter for spreading fake news yet you dont see people on the left and there fake news or revisionist  history being banned

There's plenty of conservatives posting fake news and revisionist history on there now. 

• Thanks 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

a2fbdd43fda8bd6b21d45e87e7de45fcc8-13-Tr

• Haha 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

32 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Can you give specific examples? 

• Like 1

Heja Sverige!!

God, I just want twitter to crash and burn, but this djinn is out of the bottle and will never get back into it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

27 minutes ago, Lexx said:

God, I just want twitter to crash and burn, but this djinn is out of the bottle and will never get back into it.

Elon's in charge, the chances of Twitter catching on fire are pretty good 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Pidesco said:

Can you give specific examples? 

Of people being banned or of the left being allowed to say what they want?

John Milton