Music: Sharing and Listening - The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between

xzar_monty

AC/DC is a band that has superb intros (Hells Bells, For Those About To Rock, Thunderstruck, and so on for quite some time) but whose songs themselves I often find a little boring: after the intro, so little tends to happen. Gotta admire their amazing groove, though. One of those groups that I more respect than like, if you know what I mean.

Edited by xzar_monty

26 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

Good song. Fantastic in concert. :)

I caught AC/DC in concert ~1988 in Vegas for their Heatseeker tour. Probably the best concert Iv been to. I love that the closing song is (still?) For Those About To Rock and these huge cannons came out of the stage and fired...I could feel the pressure waves hit me. They were the band I grew up to and I was pretty bummed when Malcolm Young died. ;( 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

I love that the closing song is (still?) For Those About To Rock and these huge cannons came out of the stage and fired...I could feel the pressure waves hit me.

Well, their last show was in 2016, but they did finish that one with the same song, yes. I think it has been the closing song for much of the time since its release, which is kind of logical when you think about it: it's one of their best songs, and given that it has the cannons, you can't really have it in any other place in the set. What would you follow it with?

Childhood memories... yes, I know, this was a year or two before I was born, but my parents had radio and believe it or not, this stuff was played all the way to the end of the 60's 😎

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Speaking of nostalgia...

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

22 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

I caught AC/DC in concert ~1988 in Vegas for their Heatseeker tour. Probably the best concert Iv been to. I love that the closing song is (still?) For Those About To Rock and these huge cannons came out of the stage and fired...I could feel the pressure waves hit me. They were the band I grew up to and I was pretty bummed when Malcolm Young died. ;( 

I saw them in Nashville in 1991. Exact same experience. The cannons were awesome!! And for the opener, which I believe was Thunderstruck, we could hear the music but not see the band on stage. Then we all turn around and there's Angus jamming away and coming down from the rafters on a little platform in the back of the hall. He then runs through the crowd to get to the stage. Hehe. Just perfect.

• Like 2

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

57 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

It's like a lovechild of LoTR and Stardust soundtrack. Me gusta.

Edited by Sarex
  • Gasp! 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

3 hours ago, Gorth said:

Childhood memories... yes, I know, this was a year or two before I was born, but my parents had radio and believe it or not, this stuff was played all the way to the end of the 60's 😎

our grandfather listened almost exclusive to jazz and classical... but not star trek classical.  

our grandmother, on the other hand, were a bit more cool.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

7 hours ago, Sarex said:

It's like a lovechild of LoTR and Stardust soundtrack. Me gusta.

The 2007 movie Stardust?

The music in Twin Peaks: The Return is consistently great, probably one of the best soundtracks out there.

• Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

@Gorth: California Dreamin' is a brilliant song in the sense that it manages to create an aching sense of nostalgia for something even if the song wasn't a part of your childhood / youth or even if there's no real content to this feeling of nostalgia. The evocative power is in the music itself, which is just a superb achievement for a pop song like that.

Here's another song of the same calibre but with a different emotional content: even if you've never experienced the kind of separation and heartbreak described here, it's likely to make you a bit weepy (happens to me whenever I really listen to the track). Ha, the guitarist Steve Vai has said that he can't listen to it in public because he cries so much.

• Like 1

Sometimes the "simple" things can be enjoyable too. Simple in quotes, because I'm fairly sure there is absolutely nothing simple in the skills required to pull off a song like that, but simple in its composition. No subtitles and no clue what she's singing. Could be a love story, declaration of war, the apocalypse or enjoy the sunshine at the coast... (Bulgarian to the best of my knowledge from the context)

two featuring the recent departed robbie robertson

rip

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

am a big fan o' the boxer

"how are they doing that?" am not typical a fan o' highly produced music, but...

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

It's really too bad Ylvis will be forever known as the guys with that silly fox song (to the broader public, that is - their elevator pranks are pretty funny). Ah, well.

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.