The All Things Political Topic - A politician needs the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month, and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn’t happen

Gorth

5 minutes ago, Chairchucker said:

If he had a devoted enough cult, maybe he would've tried to hang on a little harder.

I agree, if over 50 people hadnt resigned and demonstrated that he had lost confidence of his party then he could have stayed on

But as I said earlier politics is a fickle beast

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, Gorth said:

Sure, if you define "effective" as lying through his teeth and initiating legislation to break any and all written agreements with the EU around the Northern Ireland Protocol after the fact. If I don't bother at all, at least trying to keep my agreements, I don't call myself "effective", just "opportunistic" (and maybe a few less savory words, like weasel, backstabber, Judas, betrayer, scoundrel etc. which would fit Boris)

It's super unfair that his own party thinks him lying about stuff in Parliament is somehow disqualifying of him leading the country. I mean he paid a fine at one point... his fellow party members should have just let it go and recognized some of the other stuff that wasn't the lying, including the recent lying thing re: an appointment's history with sexual harassment. WHy is it such a big deal that his first response to something bad to just be to lie about it?

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

24 minutes ago, alanschu said:

It's super unfair that his own party thinks him lying about stuff in Parliament is somehow disqualifying of him leading the country. I mean he paid a fine at one point... his fellow party members should have just let it go and recognized some of the other stuff that wasn't the lying, including the recent lying thing re: an appointment's history with sexual harassment. WHy is it such a big deal that his first response to something bad to just be to lie about it?

I knew you cared about this topic, its okay to admit that ...no one is going to think less of you :teehee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

8 hours ago, alanschu said:

But it's not lying if you don't admit that you lied!

• Haha 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

there is a curious alchemy necessary to pull off such lies so routine. first you need create an us v. them culture, which is easier to achieve when people is suffering or afraid, but you would think it would be more difficult to create such divisions during peacetime and w/o major economic/social upheaval. additional and almost paradoxically you need convince people that everything they hear from previous trusted media sources is suspect, while at the same time you need foster an almost slavish devotion to a few select media outlets and voices which will deliver your alternative facts messaging.  

boris needed more polarization and he didn't have the necessary propaganda apparatus to reinvent his falsehoods as misunderstood integrity. 

"it's not lying if you don't admit that you lied!"

with an us v. them electorate plus fox news and radio voices such as rush limbaugh and steve bannon telling the faithful (us) that the real liars is the libs and their media lackeys, never admitting you lied is a viable tactic and a powerful one. almost any lie will be embraced just so long as is contextualized as us v. them.

that said, am admitted petty enough to admit a kinda schadenfreude for brit political woes. sure, US politics o' the last few years has been the equivalent o' the hell toilet from trainspotting, but brexit and boris proves there ain't anything unique stoopid or improbable 'bout our current troubles.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It's funny because for the most part I think we were just taking the piss out of a fellow poster but I think your post is interesting to reflect on given that said admission did seem to be necessary for the lies to be seen as real. Which indeed serves as an example that never admitting that you lied is indeed a viable (and powerful!) tactic.

7 hours ago, ShadySands said:

No thats not accurate, its not lying if you didn't lie 

19 minutes ago, alanschu said:

It's funny because for the most part I think we were just taking the piss out of a fellow poster but I think your post is interesting to reflect on given that said admission did seem to be necessary for the lies to be seen as real. Which indeed serves as an example that never admitting that you lied is indeed a viable (and powerful!) tactic.

Alan its not very nice  to make fun of people, I thought that went against the  liberal code?

:teehee:

John Milton 

1 hour ago, HoonDing said:

Shinzo Abe shot

you know, that guy who tumbled down that bunker playing golf with Drump

More details...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-62089486

Former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has collapsed after he was shot at an event in the city of Nara.

Mr Abe was shot at twice while he was giving a speech, causing him to fall to the ground. His attacker has been arrested.

Ex-Tokyo governor Yoichi Masuzoe said in a tweet that the 67-year-old Mr Abe was in a state of cardiopulmonary arrest.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

6 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Why do you think that?

Because its  not a culture where gun violence or assassinations is common

This is very unusual 

John Milton 

3 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Ninja'd!

@Sarex In my experience, most Japanese are strongly pacifist. And the assassin had to use a home made double barrel zip gun!

Yes the Japanese since the end of WW2 have a culture of pacifism and  gun ownership is very strict, the only people who own guns are the Yakuza and military  personnel 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

31 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

In my experience, most Japanese are strongly pacifist. And the assassin had to use a home made double barrel zip gun!

Crazy is universal.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Obviously a Russian sleeper agent.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's official, Abe is dead.

• Sad 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

image.thumb.png.5cbb00f9b1a0b33d1e0238371ac47838.png

• Haha 3

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

3 hours ago, Pidesco said:

J. Rhenquist, back in the 1992, penned a dissent to a case which upheld the right o' the hare krishnas to handout flyers at airports. one aspect o' the former chief Justice's argument were relating to the public forum doctrine-- Rhenquist curious suggested that analogizing airports to 18th century shipping ports were a mistake. airports did not exist in 1789, so the founders could not possible have recognized 'em as public fora. serious. 

now obvious most o' the originalist Justices, 'cept maybe clarence thomas, ain't so obtuse as Rhenquist were pretending to be. after all, take such ridiculous logic to its obvious conclusion and semi-automatic rifles and handguns would be excluded from Second Amendment protections, and those originalists didn't wanna extend the syllogism that far, yes? minieball weapons woulda' been beyond the scope o' founder's imagination.

regardless, the not-activist members o' the Court have situational been doing the silliness represented in your cartoon since at least the 1980s... which would actual be ok if they were 100% consistent. sure, the comical if it didn't exist in 1789 bit is extreme, but we got no problem with limiting fundamental rights to what is described in the Constitution and its Amendments, 'cause otherwise you got the most undemocratic collection in the federal government deciding which rights is gonna be bootstrapped to Constitutionality based on little more than a public policy analysis... which is exact what Congress exists to do.  the Court is not fit for such value judgements.

the problem we got is the current history and tradition analysis advanced by Alito and thomas is selective insofar as questioning whether a right were recognized in 1789... or 1868. is complicated 'cause 1868 is when you got fourteenth amendment adoption. (an admitted not helpful link to incorporation provided.) regardless, Alito and thomas is playing fast and loose with law and history to the advantage o' those who were the majority o' the electorate in 1789 and 1868-- white, male, christian, etc. worse, the new Court majority is being transparent with its intellectual dishonesty, applying originalism in absolutist terms when doing so favours current gop values, but ignoring when such an analysis would achieve less than favourable conclusions. 

'tween the shadow docket excesses we has lamented previous and the new brand o' weaponized originalism adopted by the majority, am hardly recognizing the s'posed not- activist members o' the Court.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

8 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

Looks like Elon Musk isn't buying Twitter any more.

Not exactly surprising, it has to be the most overvalued entity on the planet. Though ironically Tesla would be one of its main rivals for that position.

Looks like Twitter is planning on suing him to complete the deal.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/elon-musk-seeks-end-twitter-deal-1.6515431

• Haha 1