The All Things Political Topic - Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Gfted1

FTqQqXtXEAIUcq4?format=jpg&name=medium

56 minutes ago, Malcador said:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/may/26/ted-cruz-angrily-quits-interview-gun-control

"Cruz turned. Leaning close to the reporter and jabbing his finger, he said: “Why is it that people come from all over the world to America? Because it’s the freest, most prosperous, safest country on earth.  “And save me the propaganda.”

:lol:

I hope Ted Cruz ****s off into the sun.

10 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

They've been slowly fencing off all of the schools on the Bay Area over the last 22 years. It makes it look a bit like a prison, but I get it. This year they put a bunch of big cast iron fences up at my wife's school that separate the sports fields from the school buildings, but they didn't make them push gates, so they basically trapped the students on campus. It was left to the PE teachers to point out the stupidity, and now they have to redo all of them. :rolleyes:

For the most part I don't see any fences at schools here, but admittedly I don't look very hard. If I had kids I think I'd prefer that to Texas schools, which additionally are not very good in other ways, though it does sound dystopian and scary. But I can't afford rent in the Bay Area so that's moot.

• Sad 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

12 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

They've been slowly fencing off all of the schools on the Bay Area over the last 22 years. It makes it look a bit like a prison, but I get it. This year they put a bunch of big cast iron fences up at my wife's school that separate the sports fields from the school buildings, but they didn't make them push gates, so they basically trapped the students on campus. It was left to the PE teachers to point out the stupidity, and now they have to redo all of them. :rolleyes:

Only the ones strong enough to climb the fence deserve to survive.

God created America to test the faithful. Ya hya chouhada

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Supposedly the 3rd ISIS Caliph has been captured in Turkey.

Not sure if it isn't being covered yet because the news isn't confirmed, or because the ISIS Caliph is so unimportant at this point that he doesn't even warrant coverage.

6 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Supposedly the 3rd ISIS Caliph has been captured in Turkey.

Not sure if it isn't being covered yet because the news isn't confirmed, or because the ISIS Caliph is so unimportant at this point that he doesn't even warrant coverage.

Its probably because you cant  call something the ISIS Caliphate if its not

The real ISIS Caliphate, as you know, was a pseudo-state that existed between two almost failed but sovereign countries. It had structure and oil revenue and " borders " during its temporary existence 

ISIS is an ideological movement so when you find ISIS linked groups, like Al-Shabaab in Somalia, they not called a Caliphate because they dont control official territory. They exist throughout the ME and Africa as militant and sectarian groups

But we still very concerned with any ISIS affiliated group and they must be wiped out 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Trump would probably have sent Stingers and Javelins to Putin, to help him in his war against the "evil Ukrainians". After all, the Biden family are all in cahoots with the "regime" in Kiev, doing shady business deals.

Gorthfuscious !!! Stop being naughty, you really dont have a favorable view of the US do you....I want complete honesty now :grin:

PS : If Im wrong I can get you discounts on Aunty Sam blowup dolls ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

20 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Gorthfuscious !!! Stop being naughty, you really dont have a favorable view of the US do you....I want complete honesty now :grin:

PS : If Im wrong I can get you discounts on Aunty Sam blowup dolls ?

I mentioned it previously. It's too generic a question. I can mention many Americans I like and admire, many Americans I view in a very unfavourable way. Their governments (edit: the last 40 years) are somewhere between deadly disasters and entertaining circus shows. Rarely ever a "role model" for others to follow. Seriously think they would benefit from splitting up in smaller chunks. But that's just one outsiders opinion. Dips on those part with the Americans I like...

• Hmmm 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Moved the last two posts by Bruce and me from the Ukraine thread, as it was more about general politics than the war in Ukraine

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

@BruceVC

To continue the conversation about governments... what do you expect from a government? Are they hired to lead you or are they hired to do the administrative work of running a country on your behalf?

Different cultures have different expectations. A government at odds with its people usually either doesn't last or resort to the use of force to get things the way it want it to. The Swiss put a lot of stuff up for referendums and let people decide, reducing the governments role in decision making. Scandinavian governments are there on their best behaviour, always under close scrutiny by the press and the people. Other countries have traditions of following leaders, some of them elected, some of them not.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gorth said:

@BruceVC

To continue the conversation about governments... what do you expect from a government? Are they hired to lead you or are they hired to do the administrative work of running a country on your behalf?

Different cultures have different expectations. A government at odds with its people usually either doesn't last or resort to the use of force to get things the way it want it to. The Swiss put a lot of stuff up for referendums and let people decide, reducing the governments role in decision making. Scandinavian governments are there on their best behaviour, always under close scrutiny by the press and the people. Other countries have traditions of following leaders, some of them elected, some of them not.

Its an important question and very relevant, what do we expect from our politicians?

And my view on this is absolutely what I believe and Im not being sarcastic or joking

All our countries are Constitutional Democracies and through the election process citizens elect political parties to deliver on the policies and views they say they stand for 

So I expect politicians to deliver on what their mandate is and to ensure the citizens of the country are safe and they have a sustainable future 

All politicians must be accountable to the laws of the land and the Constitution. They are not above the citizens and I dont consider them our " leaders " but merely representatives of the country when they in power 

But the greater power\leader  is the Constitution and nothing can go against that, yes you can make legitimate changes to a Constitution but our politicians are bound by that 

John Milton 

3 hours ago, Gorth said:

Seriously think they would benefit from splitting up in smaller chunks. But that's just one outsiders opinion. Dips on those part with the Americans I like...

:lol: That will just end with there being more governments not worthy of your affection. Albeit each with slightly less ability to do great harm.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

:lol: That will just end with there being more governments not worthy of your affection. Albeit each with slightly less ability to do great harm.

GD going back to Gorths question, what do you expect from your government? And Im serious because obviously all governments have to provide public  services and collect tax and do other similar things. So thats mandatory for all governments 

But for example do you think our politicians should be moral and virtuous  people and not have affairs or gamble or go to strip clubs. Would these things bother you ? They dont bother me because I expect them to deliver on the policies they say they believe in and what they do in their personal lives isnt my business unless its illegal 

John Milton 

12 minutes ago, HoonDing said:

Imagine a political party that is "pro (white) life" but loves guns more than (white) children.

I know, I know...just imagine :thumbsup:

John Milton 

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

California alone would be the world's fifth largest economy. One might also argue they have had a comparable cultural impact.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

34 minutes ago, Malcador said:

That account makes a little more sense, but it still seems like an awful amount of time passed between when he shot his grandmother and when police forced their way into the classroom. :(

1 hour ago, Hurlsnot said:

That account makes a little more sense, but it still seems like an awful amount of time passed between when he shot his grandmother and when police forced their way into the classroom. :(

the timeline keeps changing and the inexplicable gaps is why we were concerned.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2022/05/26/uvalde-escalon-police-press-conference/

the thing is, as o' when most folks in this thread were complaining 'bout the cop response, the actual info provided were kinda different. 

*shakes head sadly*

a few obsidian boardies undercut themselves by jumping the gun. if some had waited even half a day the new pressers woulda' revealed conflicting police info. eventual we could indeed have a very clear picture o' cop malfeasance, or not. won't matter though 'cause the folks who jumped in early undermined their own legitimacy and any possibility o' pretending to be fair.

eventual folks is gonna learn 'bout being a bit patient and waiting for the chaos to dissipate before they go exposing their biases in the absence o' info... or not. actual works better for us if "not."

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Posting here is serious business.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

15 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

the timeline keeps changing and the inexplicable gaps is why we were concerned.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2022/05/26/uvalde-escalon-police-press-conference/

the thing is, as o' when most folks in this thread were complaining 'bout the cop response, the actual info provided were kinda different. 

*shakes head sadly*

a few obsidian boardies undercut themselves by jumping the gun. if some had waited even half a day the new pressers woulda' revealed conflicting police info. eventual we could indeed have a very clear picture o' cop malfeasance, or not. won't matter though 'cause the folks who jumped in early undermined their own legitimacy and any possibility o' pretending to be fair.

eventual folks is gonna learn 'bout being a bit patient and waiting for the chaos to dissipate before they go exposing their biases in the absence o' info... or not. actual works better for us if "not."

HA! Good Fun!

I remember a local news story - they broke into a show to interrupt and over the course of an hour, the news story went like this...

1st interruption: Young child shot by intruder in the home after school!

2nd interruption: Teenager shoots younger brother!

3rd interruption: 20 year-old committed suicide.

8 minutes ago, Malcador said:

drama.jpg.a468824399a713c68a80cb2190872ae7.jpg

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/05/27/us/texas-school-shooting#a-border-patrol-tactical-team-was-ordered-to-hold-back-before-confronting-the-gunman

When specially equipped federal immigration agents arrived at the elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, on Tuesday, the local police at the scene would not allow them to go after the gunman who had opened fire on students inside the school, according to two officials briefed on the situation.

The agents from Border Patrol and Immigration and Customs Enforcement arrived at some point between 12 p.m. and 12:10 p.m., according to the officials — far earlier than previously known. But they did not breach the adjoining classrooms of the school where the gunman had locked himself in until a little before 1 p.m. Members of the federal tactical team killed the gunman.

The officials said that members of the Uvalde Police Department kept the federal agents from going in sooner.

Edited by Malcador

58 minutes ago, Malcador said:

It sounds like the Uvdale police were the best accomplices the shooter could have asked for.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/27/us/robb-shooting-survivor-miah-cerrillo/index.html

Nothing says heroism like letting a child lie in the blood of her murdered classmates for an hour because you're too busy tasering parents.

Edited by KP wants Blue Velvet

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

I remember a local news story - they broke into a show to interrupt and over the course of an hour, the news story went like this...

the unfortunate side effect is those folks who is so invested in a pov or side that they cannot wait for credible info is the same folks who won't change their pov or even admit they were wrong once their hasty narratives is undermined. doesn't matter the facts in a specific case 'cause they are defending ideology or somesuch... is better to be moral right than factual correct, yes? doesn't matter if the issue is blm, hunter biden or the cops. those fighting on the side o' righteousness gotta defend the bigger truth and they see their truth everywhere regardless o' reality. 

'course bias is only an issue if you are one o' those bad people on the wrong side o' an issue, yes?

*snort*

HA! Good Fun! 

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

https://www.kens5.com/article/news/special-reports/uvalde-school-shooting/its-time-to-die-fourth-grade-survivor-uvalde-shooting-recalls-what-gunman-told-student/273-51cc4e26-7a0a-49c0-ba7a-48cdd47fa235

The boy and four others hid under a table that had a tablecloth over it, which may have shielded them from the shooter's view and saved their lives. The boy shared heartbreaking details about what happened in that room.

“When the cops came, the cop said: 'Yell if you need help!' And one of the persons in my class said 'help.' The guy overheard and he came in and shot her," the boy said. "The cop barged into that classroom. The guy shot at the cop. And the cops started shooting.”

There's one kid who could still be alive if not for the incompetence of the police.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

• Haha 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

6 hours ago, BruceVC said:

GD going back to Gorths question, what do you expect from your government? And Im serious because obviously all governments have to provide public  services and collect tax and do other similar things. So thats mandatory for all governments 

But for example do you think our politicians should be moral and virtuous  people and not have affairs or gamble or go to strip clubs. Would these things bother you ? They dont bother me because I expect them to deliver on the policies they say they believe in and what they do in their personal lives isnt my business unless its illegal 

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Drink, screw escorts, go to church, read comic books, whatever makes them happy. Leave me and mine alone. don't try to take my f----g money, stuff, etc and don't be too horribly incompetent and stupid us into a war or cause a fuel crisis, currency collapse, or something. That's all I want from my government and I am certain I will die disappointed.  

• Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell