Random/Interesting/Weird

Gorth

14 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Can't wait for robot cops to start killing people due to a buggy firmware.

How's that any different from real ones? /snark

• Haha 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

18 minutes ago, majestic said:

How's that any different from real ones? /snark

The firmware in real ones is bad by design

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

He also put down the practice of suttees, which however was rare in Scinde, by a process entirely characteristic. For judging the real cause of these immolations to be the profit derived by the priests, and hearing of an intended burning, he made it known that he would stop the sacrifice. The priests said it was a religious rite which must not be meddled with—that all nations had customs which should be respected and this was a very sacred one.

The general affecting to be struck with the argument replied.

"Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs."

No suttee took place then or afterwards.

- History of General Sir Charles Napier's Administration of Scinde

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/if-your-gen-z-co-workers-are-quiet-quitting-heres-what-that-means-11660260608

"While looking for a new role, she no longer worked beyond 40 hours each week, didn’t sign up for extra training and stopped trying to socialize with colleagues.

“I took a step back and said, ‘I’m just going to work the hours I’m supposed to work, that I’m really getting paid to work,’” she said. “Besides that, I’m not going to go extra.”

Shocking concept.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Ouch Cisco...

https://www.hackread.com/cisco-confirms-breach-employee-google-account-hacked/

"The attackers obtained initial access to its VPN after successfully compromising the Google account. The credentials were synced through the Chrome browser, where the targeted employee had also stored their Cisco credentials.

Consequently, attackers could synchronize their Google accounts using this information. On August 10th, the Yanluowang ransomware gang indirectly took responsibility for the breach by publishing files stolen in the data leak."

Phishing strikes again... you would think people had learnt not to click links in emails by now???

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

30 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Phishing strikes again... you would think people had learnt not to click links in emails by now???

Wait, are you telling me that my bank didn't send me an e-mail telling me to confirm my account? What's next, the Nigerian prince did not need my credit card credentials for a lucrative gold mine deal? :(

• Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

9 hours ago, Gorth said:

They do some fun ones, like masquerading as some tedious corpo training reminder or something along those lines.  I still think the best "phishing" attempt I got was from the Illuminati just with a form that read

Name :

D.O.B :

Credit Card # :

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

How much did it sell for? In the article it says the financial terms were not disclosed

750mil is the rumor I saw.

Also looking at the purchase history of the company, seems like a certain Chinese company starting with a T is behind them.

Edited by Sarex
  • Thanks 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

On 8/15/2022 at 4:33 PM, Malcador said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/if-your-gen-z-co-workers-are-quiet-quitting-heres-what-that-means-11660260608

"While looking for a new role, she no longer worked beyond 40 hours each week, didn’t sign up for extra training and stopped trying to socialize with colleagues.

“I took a step back and said, ‘I’m just going to work the hours I’m supposed to work, that I’m really getting paid to work,’” she said. “Besides that, I’m not going to go extra.”

Shocking concept.

We're all Wally now. (Dilbert reference.)

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

6 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Quiet quitting is a stupid name for wanting to just do your job. 

dunno. unions were created so folks could just do their job and not need worry 'bout getting fired or passed over for promotions. unfortunate, there is more than a few jobs where working your forty don't... work. @Hurlshot no doubt is able to share experience 'bout teachers and how ordinary it is for them to work considerable number o' hours past end o' the school day. sure, once a teacher gets tenure is maybe too difficult to be fired, but many/most teachers spend considerable hours doing their job beyond the minimum requirements if for no other reason than 'cause is always kids and classes which is needing more help. 

consider for a moment a young person who is starting a new business. she paints houses. gets paid to paint houses. as a person new to the field o' residential exterior painting, she is creating a business and she is selling her services to those who need their properties to be painted. chances are for the first couple years, until she develops a clientele and acquires a positive reputation, she needs underbid competitors and perhaps even take the occasional loss on a job or two (or three) to grow her business. the painter is working more hours than competitors and making less money than her work is actual worth, and her actions is not only reasonable but likely necessary if she wants to break into a market where there is already more than a few established house painters vying for jobs. 

young person working at a bank or as a peace officer or as a dental hygienist is not different than the painter. sure, it seems different but with almost any job you is first and foremost selling yourself, and chances are if you wanna separate self from the competition (your fellow employees) you need work harder and better than your competition.

yeah, particular for jobs where is a surplus o' labor, bosses, absent well-established and powerful unions, may engage in nightmarish levels o' exploitation o' labor. am not blind to the injustice o' the capitalist v. worker dynamic. however, 'cause am old and retired and grumpy, we can't help but think some o' the younger generation has been warped by participation-trophy silliness and forgotten how genghis khan's attribution is just as applicable today:

so, suck it up buttercup and get back to work, 'cause if you don't wanna work eighty hours and go above and beyond, then chances are somebody else will do so and when is time to hand out promotions or decided who is being let go during lean times, what reasonable boss wouldn't choose the overachiever?

am kinda kidding... somewhat. a little. 

'course shady is in a field where businesses is falling all over themselves trying to keep qualified people, so am suspecting he gots considerable leverage even if he does bare minimum required. young painters, or lawyers, is facing considerable competition from their peers and if they don't set themselves apart from the herd at the start o' their career, the handful o' plum positions may be forever out o' reach.

not fair? who ever promised it were gonna be fair? if somebody did make such a promise to you, they were liars or fools... or both. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

13 hours ago, Gromnir said:

Snip

I had a supervisor who had a sign on her door that said fairness doesn't exist unless it's enforced. I hate using fair as an argument because life isn't fair.

I don't actually have anything to add other than I still think quiet quitting is a dumb name

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

13 hours ago, Gromnir said:

we can't help but think some o' the younger generation has been warped by participation-trophy silliness

Or just warped by NA corporate culture.  Complaints are more on duties rather than hours, which is fine, I think - hiring support but making them do DevOps work is a bit much.  Good way to get free things like kudos and praise, at least.

32 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I had a supervisor who had a sign on her door that said fairness doesn't exist unless it's enforced. I hate using fair as an argument because life isn't fair.

I don't actually have anything to add other than I still think quiet quitting is a dumb name

Sounds like something a **** boss would have on their door, heh.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

I suppose it's better than Japanese corporate culture. Not that it makes it good but things can always be worse.

She was actually always trying to enforce fairness. She had a kid or two really young or something and it was hard for her to get ahead because she couldn't put in the 70+ hours her coworkers could. She enforced a strict 8 hour day and a not a minute more. We still had overachievers, somehow I was one, but we were all competing on a more level playing field since you generally had to actually be more efficient rather than having more time to devote to work.

I have had some real bastards for bosses too.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

15 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I suppose it's better than Japanese corporate culture.

She was actually always trying to enforce fairness. She had a kid or two really young or something and it was hard for her to get ahead because she couldn't put in the 70+ hours her coworkers could. She enforced a strict 8 hour day and a not a minute more. We still had overachievers, somehow I was one, but we were all competing on a more level playing field since you generally had to actually be more efficient rather than having more time to devote to work.

I have had some real bastards for bosses too.

Japanese corporate culture is pretty crap yes.  Good to know about that particular boss, though.  I've been lucky, never had bad bosses - well was the one drunk that'd complain about working until 2100 when he came in at 1200... - just really awful management in some places.  The former makes every day a sucky experience, the latter just draws out the misery over time :lol:

• Haha 1