What You've Done Today - Always You Must Meddle, Looking For Trouble Where None Exists.

Sarex

Damn Euros and their metric worship. šŸ˜›

• Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Don't worry, I bet next year the Bay Area will raise the Therm rate here another dollar and we'll be at least closer to your pain prices then.

...economically, I feel like the world is going to get (extra, really) FUBAR before too long. There are so many factors leading up to the possibility of a new long civil unrest/skirmish period it's not even funny.Ā  Then again maybe I'm just saying what cynical old farts always say when they become old farts.

Edited by LadyCrimson
ā€œThings are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.ā€ ā€“ Alan Watts

29 minutes ago, majestic said:

Hold on a second. 3.32ā‚¬ per "therm", convert to USD at current rate... we're at 3.74$ per therm, give or take a few cent.

Whoa thats astronomical! Do you have alternative means for heating your homes in Germany besides your furnace? What do you keep your thermostat temperature set to? Let me see if I can math that out... $190 / .63 = 301.58 therms used by me. Then multiplied by your therm price... 302 x 3.74 = $1,129.48. WHAT! That cant be right. Someone help me out here.

31 minutes ago, majestic said:

By the way, I know there are also a lot of practical reasons for keeping the regular measurements, but there have been attempts to change it and even swapping road signs lead to protests it really just comes across as "We 'Murica, so we do our own thing!" by now. Honestly though, I don't doubt you'd find a whole lot of people who would give a reason like that when asked why not to switch, next to claims that Imperial measurements are simply "natural" (maybe they once were or I have supremely long thumbs, but not one part of it is an inch... no way) or something. I think the last time a man's belt was a yard long was when the yard was devised.

Mostly good natured polemic. :)

No worries. I dont recall any protests but I may just not have noticed. Speed limit signs seems like it would be a good place to start considering the speedometers in our cars already have a km/h ring built in below the mph ring.

• Gasp! 1

11 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Whoa thats astronomical! Do you have alternative means for heating your homes in Germany besides your furnace? What do you keep your thermostat temperature set to? Let me see if I can math that out... $190 / .63 = 301.58 therms used by me. Then multiplied by your therm price... 302 x 3.74 = $1,129.48. WHAT! That cant be right. Someone help me out here.

*mutters something about not being German*

Calculations are fine. Energy prices are pretty steep here, but that's nothing new. Fun fact, compared to the rest of Europe they're pretty mild too, like our gasoline price is a bit more than half of what it apparently is in Sweden. We do have natural gas central heating here, that's still cheaper than electric heating. There's alternatives too, of course, but a whole lot of appartment buildings have central gas heating.

The cheapest alternative is district heating, and that might become available sometime soon. My parents have a ****le stove that's working pretty well, and they do have a cheap source of firewood, so all in all it's not that bad. Thermostat is generally set to 24Ā°C with a nightly cooldown period from 2200 to 0600. It's been a pretty mild winter so far, all in all it could be worse.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

am part o' smud, the sacramento municipal utility district. ordinarily our most expensive bill o' the year is the one which covers december, which is curious 'cause january is usual the coldest month. *shrug*

our december bills (we do get a bit o' propane delivered which is just for our oven) were $213.42. ~2800sqft home.Ā 

is a mistake to think o' a california rate. is massive differences 'tween what we pay compare to humboldt county v. san jose.Ā 

we can't complain. the costs o' utilities is govt. subsidized, so places where is extreme cold often get a lower rate. am actual most surprised by how little, relative speaking, we pay in july and august compared to december january. am from the midwest, so winters don't feel particular cold to us in sacramento. summer is when we has had rolling blackouts, so you would assume sky-high rates.Ā 

HA! Good Fun!

Ā 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

301.58 therms

We're typically 100 or less Therms per month and that's with an always-cold hubby. But we only have a single wall furnace in a fairly small house. We don't turn the thermostat on above 74F and that only for short periods. 70-72 is more average. At night it's turned down to 60F.Ā  Gas stovetop, and the water heater is always cranked near max. That's about it I think.Ā  Late edit: also, a mild climate, ofc

26 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

Is a mistake to think o' a california rate. is massive differences 'tween what we pay compare to humboldt county v. san jose.Ā 

Oh, I know it varies, I was making a broad generalization. I think in my later post I did say Bay Area. šŸ˜›
I looked at the the Sac. rate of the new house. It's the exact same as the house down here. Although I'm a little confused looking at that because I thought hubby said it wasn't PGE up there but it's included in the same PGE billing statement, with no other company name listed/visible - I know hubby arranged it that way for the moment (all on one bill mailing) but I'll have to ask him, I could be remembering wrong as I often do these days.

Edited by LadyCrimson
ā€œThings are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.ā€ ā€“ Alan Watts

30 minutes ago, majestic said:

*mutters something about not being German*

Calculations are fine. Energy prices are pretty steep here, but that's nothing new. Fun fact, compared to the rest of Europe they're pretty mild too, like our gasoline price is a bit more than half of what it apparently is in Sweden. We do have natural gas central heating here, that's still cheaper than electric heating. There's alternatives too, of course, but a whole lot of appartment buildings have central gas heating.

The cheapest alternative is district heating, and that might become available sometime soon. My parents have a ****le stove that's working pretty well, and they do have a cheap source of firewood, so all in all it's not that bad. Thermostat is generally set to 24Ā°C with a nightly cooldown period from 2200 to 0600. It's been a pretty mild winter so far, all in all it could be worse.

*Jealousy intensifies*

Atleast I'm not driving a diesel car, it's even worse than petrol. E85 has taken a big hit aswell since they started mixing in more ethanol in the 95 petrol. I love how the politicians here kick the teeth in on the people that try to follow their guidelines to lower emissions.

• Hmmm 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

2 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

*Jealousy intensifies*

Atleast I'm not driving a diesel car, it's even worse than petrol. E85 has taken a big hit aswell since they started mixing in more ethanol in the 95 petrol. I love how the politicians here kick the teeth in on the people that try to follow their guidelines to lower emissions.

Our diesel prices are at an almost all time high with 1.4ā‚¬/l right now. The only time it was worse was back in 2008, and we all know how that crashed turned out.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, majestic said:

Our diesel prices are at an almost all time high with 1.4ā‚¬/l right now. The only time it was worse was back in 2008, and we all know how that crashed turned out.

šŸ˜­

The price of diesel was 22.6sek or something like that when I was at the gasstation today.

The last time I remember petrol being less than 10SEK was when I was 15 and driving my moped back in 2000. For a short, short time, I could fill my Yamaha DT50Rs tank for 100SEK. :(

• Sad 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Needless postscript: hubby came home from his errand. I guess it's the electric portion that is not PGE in Sac, but the gas still is.

Well it looks like there's another Arctic Blast headed towards me on Thursday and staying till Sunday. I hope the power grid doesn't fail again, but they still haven't fixed it since last time so uhhh yeah. **** is going to suck.

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"YouĀ are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfullyĀ it seems like the creatorsĀ like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don'tĀ forgetĀ the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"AreĀ you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feralĀ camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

35 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Although I'm a little confused looking at that because I thought hubby said it wasn't PGE up there but it's included in the same PGE billing statement, with no other company name listed/visible - I know hubby arranged it that way for the moment (all on one bill mailing) but I'll have to ask him, I could be remembering wrong as I often do these days.

both pg&e and smud serve sacramento county...

edit: we see you got clarification.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

One of my new 14 TB hard drives started groaning and clicking constantly about an hour ago. Well, let's load up the SMART data real quick...

WARNING
Number of retired sectors: 400
Number of unstable sectors: 48

oh hell naw, dawg, that ain't cool. sigh, this is going to be a long night. always a good idea to let your drives run for at least about a month before you start trusting them, folks.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Sad 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

^ Yeah, that always sucks. I didn't have 14 but when I built a PC (the last one? My current one? I forget) one of the two initial storage HDD's acted all super flaky in days ... didn't know what was going on at first but it was just immediate failure I guess. had to replace it/get another one. I think that's the only drive I've had that was basically just a dud from the getgo vs. lasting years.

• Like 1

Still backing up stuff on a new 5tb external drive I got.Ā  I think I might need another one.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

*rolls up sleeves, gets out the Scrub-Free, brushes, and a gasmask*
*scrubscrubscrubscrub..freakingtoomanyLayersOfSoapBuildUp..scrubscrubscrubscrub..myhands..gettingtoobroken-downforthis..scrubscrubscrubscrub*

...an hour later...

"Honey, I have decided. I know you're an Ivory-Man, but no more bar soap allowed in the shower."
"....ok....."

...was productive today, doing stuff needing to be done before staying at the other house. If we stay up there, I'll need to do more of course, but there's still an initial minimum regardless.

Edited by LadyCrimson

On 2/2/2022 at 7:36 AM, Malcador said:

Damn Euros and their metric worship. šŸ˜›

Metrical paraphrases of selected portions of the book of Psalms : generally  adapted to the purposes of public worship or private devotion : Scott,  Robert Allan : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

• Haha 2

ā€œHe who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.ā€ - Albert Einstein
Ā 

Spent so much time trying to debug something due to the IDE crashing when I try to debug something.

Ā 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Spent the day preparing for the freeze, looks like I'm going to be bunkered down for a couple of days. Hopefully the power doesn't fail again.

Glasses are ready for pickup, so I guess I'll join the bespectacled gang soon.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfullyĀ it seems like the creatorsĀ like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

I think I could use to see the eyewear doc. again. I have two pairs of glasses - the newer pair is better for watching TV from couch distance (or driving) but gives me way more eyestrain at desktop-distance, so I use the older pair when computing. It's weird. Probably something to do with being both near and far sighted now with that inbetween zone fluctuating and giving me problems.

I am now in the glasses gang. Distant vision in my left eye is much better, but with both eyes stuff up close it distorted a bit like it's curved. Not a problem with individual eyes though. Maybe I just need to adjust.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, KP the Torque Dork said:

I am now in the glasses gang. Distant vision in my left eye is much better, but with both eyes stuff up close it distorted a bit like it's curved. Not a problem with individual eyes though. Maybe I just need to adjust.

Yes, and you'll need to do that every time you get new glasses. It takes a bit, but eventually goes away, might experience some of the usual eye-strain symptoms (i.e. headaches, mostly, but also feeling a little more tired than usual), perhaps a feeling of a little imbalance.

Ā 

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Yes, and you'll need to do that every time you get new glasses. It takes a bit, but eventually goes away, might experience some of the usual eye-strain symptoms (i.e. headaches, mostly, but also feeling a little more tired than usual), perhaps a feeling of a little imbalance.

Ā 

NANI?

It's very weird and disorienting. But the glasses do really help with my left eye, now I can actually read stuff with it.

41 minutes ago, melkathi said:

Welcome to the glasses gang!

Some say we have the best taste in games.

Hmmm, I do feel myself getting a hankering for some weird cinema in the last few hours. Maybe that's the spectacles at work?

• Hmmm 1