What are you Playing Now? Games = Life

Amentep

This will probably get me excommunicated from these forums, but I've never played New Vegas.  I bought Fallout 3 GOTY and New Vegas + all DLC 6 or 7 years ago, played Fallout 3 for apparently 10.6 hours (according to Steam) and hated the mechanics so much (I've never been a fan of 1st person games, and back then the only 1st person stuff I'd really played was Wizardry and similar) that I never played New Vegas.  I've played enough 1st person stuff now that I could probably deal with it (I tried third person and it was just..bad) and I've occasionally thought of trying it, but I haven't worked up the desire to figure out what mods I'd need to install to make it run/play decently.

I keep telling myself I'm done buying Bethesda games.  I've bought Morrowind (hated the mechanics), Oblivion (spent more time modding it than actually playing), Fallout 3, and Skyrim (which I actually played for about 200 hours apparently, but never really progressed very far), all because I wanted to figure out why people liked them so much.  Truth be told, I'm pretty sure I just don't like open world games, though I've never played one with mechanics of which I was a fan (are there party-based, preferably turn-based open world games?)

Still...there's a decent chance I'll end up picking up Starfield or Elder Scrolls VI on the cheap several years after they're released.

• Like 2

I'd chime in regarding FO4's base building content but I never made it that far into the game. Like most, I didn't like the premise of the main plot, but I earnestly made an attempt to follow it by beelining it to Diamond City instead of the seemingly bizarre intended route of pausing your search to instead backtrack and help some cosplayers build a playfort. So it's perhaps ironic that by following the plot I ended up "missing out" on one of the big selling points. Anyway, some of the miniquests in Diamond City were a decent enough diversion to keep playing, but pretty much as soon as those dried up and I had to explore a generic bombed-out city, I lost interest completely.

Perhaps the setting contributed to. Like, as someone who's never been to the US, I can't think of a single notable thing about Boston. I think the Bee Gees sang about it once?

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I'm pretty deep into Metroid Dread. I recently got super missiles (they replace your regular missiles in this game) and plasma beam, so I'm getting close to end of Fusion power level. I know I'll need more than that since the chozo at the beginning of the game whooped my ass at full Fusion power level. I'm pretty sure he(?) will be the final boss. Speaking of bosses, I've gone through a few more. Droygyga was a particularly fun battle, as was the Chozo Soldier. Hopefully I get gravity suit soon, because I've encountered a good number of pickups and areas I need gravity to reach.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I love a good open world, or at least a lot of open-ish sections, whether rpg, arpg, sandbox.  But there has to be some kind of motivation for me to want to explore it. I don't care if it's hidden shinies to be found, crafting materials to hunt for/grind, looking for the perfect flat place to make a home, beautiful scenery etc. just something.  Plus there is a limit on how "huge" I want the world to be. I don't want to literally spend an hour running through empty repeated terrain tiles going from one town to another with maybe a couple wolves or tiny cave encountered during that time. Doesn't have to be chock full of stuff every 10 feet either, but gotta pace things.

After Morrowind I just found Beth's games to feel lifeless and dull.  Even with all that world to explore, I felt like there was little purpose for it, and the "I wonder what's over there" motivation only lasts so long, so I would get bored fast.

Types of open worlds like Beth or similar make me think of ProZD's classic bit:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

7 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I'm not into open world games either. Some of my favorite games are make your own fun sandboxes but for some reason open world games just don't do it for me.

Exactly.  I really enjoy survival crafting games assuming they let me build bases (I have spent far too many hours playing 7 Days To Die), but I'm just not a fan of open world games.  At least part of it for me is being a completionist, so back in the old days it was a need to hunt and peck for every single hidden thing that drove me away, and with modern games that have everything marked on the map, it's a need to complete every single marker, even the level 3 bandit camp when you're level 20+ (at which point I get bored, because fighting trivial enemies is boring...not that most open world games have what I consider enjoyable combat.  Horizon: Zero Dawn I thought the combat was pretty fun, but the enemy variety was lacking as far as I was concerned.)

14 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

This will probably get me excommunicated from these forums, but I've never played New Vegas.

I haven't either for much the same reasons as you. When FO3 came out I played it and wasn't impressed, so when New Vegas came out I just ignored it.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

17 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

This will probably get me excommunicated from these forums, but I've never played New Vegas.

I'm probably even worse - I played through Fallout 3 exactly once around the time it came out and thought it was okay, I guess - it was at least a novelty after having played Oblivion; then I got New Vegas a couple of years after it came out, played a handful of hours before realizing that I was pretty sure that I didn't ever want to play a Bethesda-style open world RPG ever again in my life. True to my word, I haven't.

(e): It also occurs to me that I basically haven't played any Obsidian games - NWN2 is the only one. Put twenty hours into trying to force myself to play Pillars of Eternity and not enjoying a moment of it...and a handful of hours into New Vegas. I have not even tried any other Obsidian games...and I'm not too much of a gamer anymore, so that probably won't change.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I'll do you all one better.  I don't even like RPGs.

• Gasp! 5

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

11 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

I love a good open world, or at least a lot of open-ish sections, whether rpg, arpg, sandbox.  But there has to be some kind of motivation for me to want to explore it. I don't care if it's hidden shinies to be found, crafting materials to hunt for/grind, looking for the perfect flat place to make a home, beautiful scenery etc. just something.  Plus there is a limit on how "huge" I want the world to be. I don't want to literally spend an hour running through empty repeated terrain tiles going from one town to another with maybe a couple wolves or tiny cave encountered during that time. Doesn't have to be chock full of stuff every 10 feet either, but gotta pace things.

After Morrowind I just found Beth's games to feel lifeless and dull.  Even with all that world to explore, I felt like there was little purpose for it, and the "I wonder what's over there" motivation only lasts so long, so I would get bored fast.

Types of open worlds like Beth or similar make me think of ProZD's classic bit:

Best take on open world games ever 😄

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Is Battle Brothers an open world game? No matter what it is, I'm back to obsessing over my dysfunctional, disfigured, and slightly endearing company of mercenaries. The desert expansion really added more flavor than I originally thought. Sending a couple brothers into the gladiator pit is a fun change of pace from the normal murder and mayhem on the open battlefields.

Edit: My best crossbowman has brain damage and a lost nose. But he knows how to pull the trigger and hit someone with a bolt, so he stays with the company.

Edited by Hurlsnot

Open world, level-based, linear, metroidvania, I don't really have a preference. If it's good it's good. I just don't like the industry following trends, which happens all the time. Open world gets popular and suddenly everybody is making open world games almost exclusively. I like variety. Luckily, there are always indies to buck the trend.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Thanks 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It's never going to be the primary attraction for me, but I kinda see the value in the open world aspect of some games, being essentially an alternate game mode that can help extract value from an otherwise uninteresting game. I will never acknowledge there being any value in collectibles and achievements though, screw those. 😛

It doesn't have to be open world as such, the alternate game mode can take any form. Just like I had next to no interest in completing the core levels in Super Monkey Ball 2, but got pretty much all my value from that game from the minigame mode (particularly Monkey Target🎯).

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

All I seem to care about lately (besides cats) is what the main character tropes are (if they are per-determined vs. just an avatar ala MMO chrs).

...if I'm going to spend 60+ hours with a lot of story characters, I want them to be tropes I enjoy. I've had my fill of macho/barbarian, gun-ho/military or medieval knight types. No more of those please.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm probably pretty close to the point where I could finish Metroid Dread, though I have some work left to get 100% item completion. I got ice missiles, space jump, and gravity suit, so I can go almost anywhere now. I'm only missing ice beam, wave beam, power bomb, and screw attack from the full Fusion kit. Screw attack I'm sure is in the game because I've seen screw attack blocks, and I think I've seen power bomb blocks, but I'm not sure what that symbol was. Ice beam seems redundant since I have ice missiles, but both were in Fusion. Wave beam is whatever.

I beat a few more bosses. Escue was a fun fight, phase 1 took me 3 tries to figure out the attacks, once I got to phase 2 it was laughably easy. Twin chozo robots was the most frustrating fight in the game so far. I've fought chozo robots before; one on one they've not hard. They don't do anything different in the twin battle, but having to deal with two at once makes life so much harder. In 95% of boss fights the adage "don't get greedy" holds true, but this battle is an exception. When both robots are around it's easy to get caught in a bad spot and get bodied by both of them, so when you have an opportunity where they are separated it's worth tanking a bunch of damage to absolutely unload on one robot and take it out. Once it's one on one, the fight is manageable, even at low health. There was also another chozo soldier battle, this one had a different second phase. It was quite fun.

I have 2 E.M.M.I.s left to dispatch and at least 2 bosses, but I want to collect every last item before the final battle.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

On 10/27/2021 at 2:42 AM, Vaeliorin said:

This will probably get me excommunicated from these forums, but I've never played New Vegas.  I bought Fallout 3 GOTY and New Vegas + all DLC 6 or 7 years ago, played Fallout 3 for apparently 10.6 hours (according to Steam) and hated the mechanics so much (I've never been a fan of 1st person games, and back then the only 1st person stuff I'd really played was Wizardry and similar) that I never played New Vegas.  I've played enough 1st person stuff now that I could probably deal with it (I tried third person and it was just..bad) and I've occasionally thought of trying it, but I haven't worked up the desire to figure out what mods I'd need to install to make it run/play decently.

I keep telling myself I'm done buying Bethesda games.  I've bought Morrowind (hated the mechanics), Oblivion (spent more time modding it than actually playing), Fallout 3, and Skyrim (which I actually played for about 200 hours apparently, but never really progressed very far), all because I wanted to figure out why people liked them so much.  Truth be told, I'm pretty sure I just don't like open world games, though I've never played one with mechanics of which I was a fan (are there party-based, preferably turn-based open world games?)

Still...there's a decent chance I'll end up picking up Starfield or Elder Scrolls VI on the cheap several years after they're released.

Normally the fact that you have never played  F:NV would be unforgivable and the UN recently made this a crime against humanity but since you are now playing it all is forgiven :thumbsup:

I never understand how anyone could not love Bethesda games, they all great and make sure you use normal and adult mods with F:NV, use the Vortex Nexus Mod Manager if you not already using it 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Bethesda have a 40% hit rate for me, which isn't great if I had to pay for any future Bethesda games. Feels kind of dirty admitting since I dislike companies getting too dominant in their field, but thank goodness for Microsoft splashing the cash.

• Hmmm 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Playing more Overwatch, almost intentionally playing badly just to make people rage over voice

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I need a new game again.

Someone finally made a halfway decent speedo-mod for Ignis/FFXV, so I could play a NG+ of that with the level scaler mod to make all enemies 100+ and romp around with swimwear bro's, but ... nah.

What I need is a similar level scaling table for Tales of Arise, so NG+ would start with lvl 90 enemies and go to 100 rapidly. What is with JRPG's having these NG+ modes where enemies remain lvl 6....I don't care if I can carry over my kill-counts, what's the point of that....

Edit: oops, I meant to put that in What Are you Playing Now. Someone can move this post if they want. Or not.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Im playing Quest for Glory 4, released in 1994,  and after about 4 hours I started appreciating it and enjoying. This is a huge breakthrough for me because I only started " gaming properly " in 2007 or so and the first games I played were Morrowind and Gothic 3 so I became use to that level of graphics and  gaming design

And I have been battling to enjoy and play all the classic older RPG like Gold Box AD&D, Wizardry, Ultima and M&M

But now I think I am close to enjoying those games because I dont just expect modern graphics and a game that is aesthetically pleasing ...I am using my imagination more and that is how most people enjoy these older games 8)

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 3

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

11 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Im playing Quest for Glory 4, released in 1994,  and after about 4 hours I started appreciating it and enjoying. This is a huge breakthrough for me because I only started " gaming properly " in 2007 or so and the first games I played were Morrowind and Gothic 3 so I became use to that level of graphics and  gaming design

And I have been battling to enjoy and play all the classic older RPG like Gold Box AD&D, Wizardry, Ultima and M&M

But now I think I am close to enjoying those games because I dont just expect modern graphics and a game that is aesthetically pleasing ...I am using my imagination more and that is how most people enjoy these older games 8)

If you wind up playing more Sierra On-Line adventure games, I'd be curious to see how you deal with moon logic. I grew up on these games, Space Quest was literally the first PC game I owned (and thus began my love affair with Sierra On-Line), so I can naturally think in moon logic. For people that didn't start gaming until moon logic (mostly) was a thing of the past, it must be an interesting experience when you find out the solution to some of the puzzles.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Bruce would love Police Quest. Especially PQ4