The All-Things Cinema thread

Amentep

2 hours ago, Raithe said:

tony todd has a ridiculous number o' screen credits and yet in spite o' the fact Gromnir is not anywhere near the trek fan as is more than a few on these boards, whenever we think o' mr. todd is always first and foremost as old jake sisko and then second as kurn.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It just dawned on me that we are rapidly approaching the 50th anniversary of one of my favorite movies of all time. My favorite Stanley Kubrick film, and probably his most divisive, A Clockwork Orange. I haven't seen the movie in likely close to a decade at this point, I think it's about time I watched it again. I might treat myself to a 4K Anniversary Blu Ray coming in roughly a month or so. It's been too long since I've partaken in a bit of the old ultraviolence.

Clockwork-Orange-UHD-BD-239x300.jpg

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Spider-Man - I feel like 3 minutes is very long for a "teaser trailer."  :shifty:

Shang-Chi Legend of the Ten Rings is probably the first Marvel movie in a while that I'm somewhat interested in seeing - just not enough to go to a theater. But Tony Leung!

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

2 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Shang-Chi Legend of the Ten Rings is probably the first Marvel movie in a while that I'm somewhat interested in seeing - just not enough to go to a theater. But Tony Leung!

Yeah, I was hopeful it was going to come out on streaming the same day like Black Widow and Rock Cruise but now I guess I'll just see it when I see it. 

Free games updated 3/4/21

As a lover of wuxia I'm more interested in Shang-Chi than I would be another Marvel movie, but I'm afraid they're going to Marvel up the movie too much and ruin the martial arts goodness. If it was essentially just a straight up kung fu movie that would be my jam, but the Marvel formula has produced such obscene mountains of money over the past 15 years or so that I fear they will be hesitant to stray from the formula and thus we must have a giant CGI battle at the end with a sky beam, and I have zero interest in seeing that (yet again).

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

12 hours ago, Keyrock said:

but I'm afraid they're going to Marvel up the movie too much and ruin the martial arts goodness.

YT reviewer I like said he's one of those a little tired/no longer enthused by action in Marvel movies at this point, but he really liked it in this one. With some action wide shots even. Also said it's a movie that finally made him think "maybe they could make a live action Dragonball movie good." 

But of course, he's not us. And yeah, that worries me too.  What I also want is one that isn't too jokey, and maybe, just maybe, it won't be.

Starts around 2:50 (no story spoilers in review - he does use trailer footage)

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

@LadyCrimsonHere's a slightly negative review to balance your positive one:

It seems to confirm what I feared; it's a Marvel movie so they have to have their giant CGI battle with energy blasts at the end. I am so ****ing done with the giant CGI battle with energy blasts.

I'll almost certainly watch this at some point because Tony Leung is the man, but I ain't about to go to a movie theater to see another CGI battle with energy blasts.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

It seems to confirm what I feared; it's a Marvel movie so they have to have their giant CGI battle with energy blasts at the end. I am so ****ing done with the giant CGI battle with energy blasts.

Confirmation bias - where we like reviews that confirm our hopes or not-hopes. Hahaha.  *wink
But yeah, I think Chris Stuckman, while more jaded than in the past, is not quite completely jaded yet.  😄  I fully expect it to still be a "Marvel" movie. I'm just hoping it'll be a slightly less Marvel, Marvel movie is all.

Anyway, I think many of us are fed up with giant CGI battles. I mean, I personally don't mind some flashy light/weapon effects and to me Matrix-1 bits are still fun today, but too much obvious green screen combat is ... too much obvious green screen. It still looks fake, especially when over-relied on, even if at the same time it can look cool sometimes.  I read Ian McKellen hated filming with nothing but greenscreen/no other actors so dominantly re: The Hobbit (vs LoTR). 

When I watched IP man a while back (and that's not even a super old movie), that was so much better than most CGI-fest action movies...

I'm also tired of "folding city/horizon" shots, ever since Inception (ala Dr. Strange).

• Like 1

Dune 2 Release Plan: Villeneuve Ready to Go, Looking at Messiah (gizmodo.com)

“Just how quickly can we get part two in our eyeballs?”

“I would say that I would be fairly ready to go quite quickly now,” Villeneuve said, before clarifying further. “Quickly in [terms of] a movie of that size. You still need to make sets and costumes, we are talking about months.” Villeneuve explained that he couldn’t split Herbert’s story in two without a strong sense of where the continuation would go, so much of the heavy lifting in terms of story is already done. “When you make a movie in two parts...when you do the first part, you have to know what you’re going to do in the second part,” he said. “It has been mostly designed in a way that there’s a lot of elements that are [ready]...But if there’s enthusiasm and the movie is greenlit, sooner than later I will say that I will be ready to shoot 2022 for sure...I am ready to go and I would say that I would love to bring it to the screen as soon as possible.”

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Wait, Dune is a "Part 1?"  Guess I'll be waiting even longer to watch it then.
Reviews for it seem to be half "best thing since sliced bread" and half neutral to "a bit disappointing."  Although I'm sure the visuals will be eyeball candy regardless.

I wish they'd stop with the part 1, part 2 etc. of theater movies tho. Or at least film them all at once like LotR (and release them 6 months apart maybe). Just give in and turn them into cinematic 6 part miniseries on HBO/Max/Disney/whatever instead.  I know, I know ... big screen.  Pffft.  I just need to get a 120+ inch capable 4k projector. They're only $3k-$7k or something, right?  No problem.

33 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

I wish they'd stop with the part 1, part 2 etc. of theater movies tho. Or at least film them all at once like LotR (and release them 6 months apart maybe). Just give in and turn them into cinematic 6 part miniseries on HBO/Max/Disney/whatever instead.  I know, I know ... big screen.  Pffft.  I just need to get a 120+ inch capable 4k projector. They're only $3k-$7k or something, right?  No problem.

Villeneuve insisted that he needed two movies to tell the story of Dune correctly, because it's too damn big.  WB would only finance part 1 with a "we'll see how it does before we give you the money for part 2".  Which is why they couldn't do the LoTR thing of back to back filming.

Yeah, Dune is such a monumental undertaking that you're either going to wind up with a 3+ hour movie or you're going to have to cut or gloss over some really important stuff if you don't split it in half. This is why every previous attempt has been a partial or complete failure.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

^ Didn't help It: Chapter Two any.  😛   For that matter, length in terms of Dune into a mini-series supposedly didn't help tons either - I think it has more to do with direction and writers who know what to leave out and what not, and how to condense and write for flow/consistency, etc.  Edit: also, I'd rather have a 3 hr 15min movie than part 1 and part 2, most of the time.

Guys, I've read the book, I know.  I'm just saying, maybe visual arts based on certain books should just stop trying to be movies in the old definition. Make them cinematically filmed TV series.  If a company isn't willing to say yes to multiple films right off the bat, you run the risk of part2 never being made.

Or waiting for years and years, ala Avatar because you're too afraid of making the uber famous director mad or something. It's just irritating.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1

The other thing is that Villeneuve has done the "Please don't watch it on streaming tv. Go to the cinema. My vision is for the big screen. I've directed it and cut it from that viewpoint, if you watch it on a small screen you won't be getting my full vision."

59 minutes ago, Raithe said:

if you watch it on a small screen you won't be getting my full vision."

I'm pretty sure that's what the letterboxing/black bars are for. :lol:  The only difference is size, really. Well, and sound, unless one has a mega theater audio home setup maybe.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I've been in theaters where some of the picture edges were likely cut off/not visible on non-screen walls/curtains, because it played in the "smaller rooms", where the screens were not as mega-wide as the featured/larger rooms. Too many film ratio's directors like to use. 

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Yeah, Dune is such a monumental undertaking that you're either going to wind up with a 3+ hour movie or you're going to have to cut or gloss over some really important stuff if you don't split it in half. This is why every previous attempt has been a partial or complete failure.

Jason Momoa Wants Villeneuve’s ‘Four-to-Six Hour’ Cut of ‘Dune’: ‘I Don’t Want It Trimmed’

6 hours for Part I.

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

18 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Zack Snyder: "Watch this, I'm going to make a 4 hour version of Justice League."

Denis Villeneuve: "Hold my beer..."

#ReleaseTheVilleneuveCut :shifty:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

1 minute ago, majestic said:

@Keyrock are you going to put an image of Neil Breen's ball sack in your signature at some point? :p

I would love to share the scrotum of visionary film genius Neil Breen with Obsidian Forums, but I suspect the mods might take umbrage with that. :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸