The All-Things Cinema thread

Amentep

I never saw Transformer's the Movie in the theaters*,  but another film that turned 35 years old this year (in July though...not in August), well that I DID see in theaters.  And that I rewatched in honor of that milestone...

*actually I've never seen Transformers: The Movie anywhere...

• Like 4

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

2 minutes ago, Amentep said:

*actually I've never seen Transformers: The Movie anywhere...

Horror!  You missed an amazingly 80's soundtrack. Also, it emotionally traumatised an entire generation of kids.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I keep saying someday I'll watch it - just haven't gotten around to it yet.  That said, since I was only a casual viewer of Transformers, I doubt it'll retroactively scar my childhood! 😄 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Saw Kate and The Protege.

Both have elements of that John Wick "killer on a revenge spree",  but The Protege is definitely the better one of the two.

Helped by the presence of Maggie Q, Michael Keaton, and Sam L Jackson.  Doesn't have quite the same raw flow of action sequences, but develops nicely with some good character banter.

Kate is much more action-throttle, but doesn't have quite the dialogue to sell it. That and the "twist" is pretty obvious from the "I want to retire" statement in the first 10 minutes.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Matrix plot rumors/speculation floating about:

--maybe Trinity is actually the new One 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Malignant

I'm generally not a fan of horror, not straight horror, anyway. There are exceptions, of course, I liked Alien, for example, but it's generally not my genre. Horror comedy, on the other hand, I can get down with. Malignant has been marketed as a straight horror, hence I paid no attention to it. Then the HitB on it came out suggesting it was a horror comedy and it was on HBOMax, which I have, so I gave it a spin.

10/10 Movie of the Year.

I'm still not completely sure whether the comedy was intentional, I think it was. I don't think Warner Brothers was in on the joke, I can't fathom how they would have greenlit something this ridiculous had they known what it was. This is either the most misguided attempt to make a horror movie in recent history or the most brilliant troll job in recent history, take your pick. Either way what we are left with is one of the funniest movies I have seen in long time not made by Neil Breen. 

The best part is that they sort of play it straight for a decent chunk of the film, but then it goes off the rails. I'm not talking simply going off the rails, I'm talking about the train careening off the rails, falling off a giant cliff, crashing into a hospital full of orphaned children, catching the entire building on fire, then exploding in a way that would make Michael Bay jealous. The 3rd act is so unbelievably, wonderfully over the top ridiculous... *chef kiss* Magnifique!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Saw Dune yesterday. It was very competent, and a faithful adaption of the book. The slow pace will put off many viewers, as will the rather aprupt ending (it's clearly a "Part 1" film, and doesn't work as a self-contained one like Fellowship of the Ring did).

I'd give it a 7/10. It's very colorless (as shown in the trailer) and joyless (almost everyone is very stoic, even the Baron!). I found myself almost missing those silly oneliners, and the exaggerated humour of the Marvel universe. Almost.

• Gasp! 1

So now the Sith have scabbards for the lightsabers.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I finally got around to seeing The Green Knight a few nights ago. Great film! Reminded me a bit of The Fountain.

Bummed that I didn’t make more of an effort to see it in theaters

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

20 hours ago, Achilles said:

I finally got around to seeing The Green Knight a few nights ago. Great film! Reminded me a bit of The Fountain.

Bummed that I didn’t make more of an effort to see it in theaters

I liked the cinematography, was bored by the story.

• Gasp! 3

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

Very interesting, so they took a movie that was never finished and released for whatever reason and ADR'd the missing audio? Vinegar Syndrome has a good reputation in taking old forgotten B movies and putting out high quality transfers, plus this sort of kung fu exploitation looking movie is exactly my jam. Color me excited.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Dope practical effect from "Sh! The Octopus" (1937).

Z179CC5wUS.gif

Apparently achieved with the help of being in black and white - makeup that wouldn't look any different than normal in black and white under a certain light and then you change the lighting mid-scene so that the makeup will show up.

(e): lightning -> lighting

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 8

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Yeah, it was a fantastic moment the first time I saw it. Still cool even after that.

• Like 1