The All-Things Cinema thread

Amentep

5 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Dune Part 2 in 2023? Ugh. That is forever.

If you start now, you might even be able to finish the novel before the second part of the movie adaption comes out! 😛 

• Haha 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

5 minutes ago, Amentep said:

If you start now, you might even be able to finish the novel before the second part of the movie adaption comes out! 😛 

zp391p8ljof51.jpg?width=400&auto=webp&s=

• Haha 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

26 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Dune Part 2 in 2023? Ugh. That is forever.

maybe watch the syfy dune miniseries, and children of dune miniseries?

warnings:

costumes in the syfy dune miniseries were curiously cheap and cheesy. if you haven't seen, am not able to accurate describe the level o' bad.

alec newman were trying to act young in dune, which were a mistake. we thought newman were a horrible actor, but then we saw children of dune and realized he were at least competent. whether it were director's fault or actor's prerogative regarding how to portray the s'posed fifteen year-old and small for his age paul, the syfy dune version o' muad'dib were distracting at times. not as distracting as costumes, but close.

william hurt phoned in his portrayal as duke leto. for any leto scene a cardboard cutout o' jürgen prochnow from dune (1984) coulda' been inserted into the film with some random male vo actor reading the duke's lines and woulda' been better than william hurt pretending to contribute to the project. 

as an aside, am not a fan o' dune messiah or children of dune books. understatement. nevertheless, the children of dune miniseries, other than the end which were terrible 'cause o' frank herbert and were no way to fix if remaining faithful to source material were a goal, was excellent and entertaining... and the costumes were much improved if hardly hollywood movie quality.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The one thing that was fairly impeccable throughout both of SyFy's mini-series.. are the soundtracks.

The rest of it, had some ups and downs. For elements of an adaption, they were also fairly faithful to the books (with certain allowances for budget and time).

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

7 minutes ago, Raithe said:

The one thing that was fairly impeccable throughout both of SyFy's mini-series.. are the soundtracks.

The rest of it, had some ups and downs. For elements of an adaption, they were also fairly faithful to the books (with certain allowances for budget and time).

brian tyler reported spent less than a full month working on the children of dune soundtrack and have heard portions o' his music from the miniseries used in subsequent video games, tv shows and even hollywood films. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Inama Nushif is a wonderful montage sequence and a way to tell a huge chunk of book story in a cinematic medium. The editing of the visuals along with the music just hits all the right emotional tones for me. I can almost forgive the sins of the series on the basis of that section alone.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."