The All-Things Cinema thread

Amentep

Old thread:

Last few posts:

10 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I watched Double Down. It was every bit as baffling as Fateful Findings, perhaps more. There's a lot less acting in this movie, which, given the quality of said acting, is probably for the best. There's a ton of B roll with narration over it. This movie has 3 commonalities with Fateful Findings: A special (magic?) rock. So many laptops, none of which are functional. Neil Breen's character, Aaron in this case, is the greatest hacker. I'm curious to see if those same things pop up in his other movies. There's a lot of Neil running around in the desert and so many cans of tuna. There are attempts here at mystical, spiritual, and religious imagery that I'm sure have profound meaning in Neil Breen's mind but are perplexing, more than anything else, to the me.

I went ahead and ordered Pass Thru; I should have the movie by the time I get back home next time in 3 to 4 weeks. /rubs hands together

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

For The CEO

1 hour ago, WDeranged said:

I treated myself to a cripplingly expensive OLED during lockdown so my lounge is now my cinema.  I've very much enjoyed discovering what 4k and HDR is all about but strangely the film that entertained me the most was The Lighthouse.

The Lighthouse was an odd film.  Not quite the slam-dunk of The VVitch, I thought, but still really good and in places quite Lovecraftean.  I'll be interested in seeing Eggers' THE NORTHMAN when it comes out next year(?).

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I think the VVitch does hold up better, but I'll give The Lighthouse the commendation of genuinely surprising me.

I watched maybe half of the Ballad of Buster Scrugs. I wish there were more short film compilations like this.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

The Lighthouse was indeed a pretty good descent into madness tale. I'm glad to see Robert Pattinson has been able to shed being the Twilight guy and emerged as a legitimately good actor. Kristen Stewart is still getting work, but she's a charisma vortex, she somehow manages to suck the charisma out of her co-stars and reduce the overall amount of charisma in a scene. I have no clue what any of the other Twilight actors are doing these days, I imagine B movies, if anything.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I haven't seen Stewart in a lot, but I did like her in UNDERWATER, but it was kind of an actor-proof role.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I enjoyed The Witch.  I like that so much can be done with very little.  Just a bit of woodland, a cabin and some good actors.  Though, I did prefer The Lighthouse for its humour and perversity.  More my kind of thing.

Edited by WDeranged

Strangely when I think of Robert Pattinson I still think of his role in Harry Potter, which is where/when I first saw him.  He made an impression on me then.  I hear he disliked the Cullen role so ... good for him for being able to break out into better roles/not getting typecast forever.

Edit:  The Lighthouse was interesting, but it's one of those actors movies where I feel like it's a film more to be admired than enjoyed.  >.>    I saw another movie (not USA) on that same topic and I liked that one better as a story.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Can't wait for the John Wick - Fast & Furious crossover

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do it.  Saw it on HBOMax.

...it was ok. Maybe a B-.  More crime than horror, but had the horror moments.  For people who like more chr. drama, there's a bit more of that in this one maybe. The two leads are still the main watch-draw, although the young guy playing the "devil made me kill" was pretty good too.  Anyway, the first Conjuring is still by far the best - I'd give that an A.  The 2nd Conjuring was also ok, and I haven't seen any of the spin-offs.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well, when you cross sci-fi with a bit of fantasy and roll it surreal...

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I just watched The Equalizer again, its  such a brilliant movie. Denzil Washington plays the role of a cynical ex-special force\CIA operator  so well. It reminds me of Man on Fire, another one of his movies that is one of favorites 📺

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland_(film)

I just watched this movie and its highly recommend. Its tragic, sad but brilliant and captures the reality of the fragility of the human race when it comes to certain natural disasters

I know " end of the world " movies can be banal but this is different and its a tear-jerker. Its about a comet that is going to hit the earth that will lead to an extinction level event 

It reminded me of how despite some of our global differences we really are one race and somethings unite us, and can destroy, as the human race 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm getting home in about a week and I plan on going on a 70s an 80s sleazy exploitation movie binge. I've got a couple Roger Corman Alien ripoffs on order and now I'm trying to figure out if they ever made high quality blu ray transfers of the Ilsa quadrilogy. I love me some dirty, grimy, sleazy exploitation flicks. Don't judge me. :blush:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

If the Ilsa films had a blu ray release in the US market, it'd be news to me. I know Anchor Bay did a dvd collection, but nothing about an official Blu.

• Thanks 1

I found a copy of Ilsa: She Wolf of the SS on blu ray. According to the description it's 1080p. It's coming from ebay so who knows. I'll use this as a test to see if it's a quality transfer or a bootleg copy of a copy. If it's legit I'll try to hunt down the other 3 movies.

• Haha 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

The only one I see on Ebay looks to be a bootleg (but that doesn't mean it can't be sourced from a high quality European blu rather than a sloppy VHS transfer).

My current lineup for my upcoming 70s and 80s sleazy exploitation marathon: 

Galaxy of Terror

Forbidden World

Raw Force

Ilsa: She Wolf of the SS

I wouldn't mind another movie to make it a nice round 5. Anyone got any  recommendations? 

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

16 hours ago, Amentep said:

If the Ilsa films had a blu ray release in the US market, it'd be news to me. I know Anchor Bay did a dvd collection, but nothing about an official Blu.

7 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I found a copy of Ilsa: She Wolf of the SS on blu ray. According to the description it's 1080p. It's coming from ebay so who knows. I'll use this as a test to see if it's a quality transfer or a bootleg copy of a copy. If it's legit I'll try to hunt down the other 3 movies.

Ilsa, the Wicked Warden AKA The Mad Butcher has a legit (German) Blu-ray release at the very least (legit as in actually being an HD transfer), but I don't see anything for the other three. Doesn't 100% mean it won't be, but I'd be surprised if it was.

• Thanks 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

My current lineup for my upcoming 70s and 80s sleazy exploitation marathon: 

Galaxy of Terror

Forbidden World

Raw Force

Ilsa: She Wolf of the SS

I wouldn't mind another movie to make it a nice round 5. Anyone got any  recommendations? 

Two exploitationier Alien ripoffs, Nazisploitation and...um...Raw Force aka Kung Fu Cannibals.

Not knowing what you've seen already, what about Thriller: a Cruel Picture  (1973 Swedish rape-revenge exploitation movie, released on dvd).

For something a bit different, but indicative of the era, what about Pieces (1982 slasher film,  has a blu ray release)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

Not knowing what you've seen already, what about Thriller: a Cruel Picture  (1973 Swedish rape-revenge exploitation movie, released on dvd).

I might take you up on that. I like that the alternate title is They Call Her One Eye.

As for Pieces, I've already seen it. I have also already seen Forbidden World, but I believe the blu ray also contains the director's cut, back when it was called Mutant and was a horror comedy. Roger Corman apparently didn't want any comedy and made the director cut a bunch of scenes out (the theatrical cut was still plenty funny, just not intentionally). I'm excited to see the uncut version. Also I saw part of an Ilsa movie many many many many years ago, but I don't remember which one. I mean, I think it was an Ilsa movie; it definitely had Dyanne Thorne, that's not someone you forget.

• Thanks 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Ah, yes now that you mention it I remember you talking about Pieces.

I've seen Galaxy of Terror and Forbidden World, but not the original edit. Lots of weird films in the Alien-derrivative market. Inseminoid, Creature, Xtro...

I know Ilsa by reputation only (plus stills and trailers).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Ah, yes now that you mention it I remember you talking about Pieces.

I've seen Galaxy of Terror and Forbidden World, but not the original edit. Lots of weird films in the Alien-derrivative market. Inseminoid, Creature, Xtro...

I know Ilsa by reputation only (plus stills and trailers).

Those Corman ripoff movies just tended to have a weird charm to them. Plus, New World Pictures' box art/movie poster game was off the chain. I mean, look at this:

91c8qlRGQEL._SL1500_.jpg

Granted, it's false advertising, there's nothing in the movie that remotely resembles that image in the slightest bit, but I'm willing to give them a pass when the art is that awesome.

• Haha 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸