The All-Things Cinema thread

Amentep

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

I would love to share the scrotum of visionary film genius Neil Breen with Obsidian Forums, but I suspect the mods might take umbrage with that. :lol:

What if it was a fateful find?

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

2 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

"'Let’s watch the four-to-five-hour movie like a TV show,' Momoa said."

...If you actually release it as a TV show, then sure. Who wants to sit down and watch a movie for 6 hours straight, though?

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

29 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

...If you actually release it as a TV show, then sure. Who wants to sit down and watch a movie for 6 hours straight, though?

LotR extended edition marathon... 😄

• Haha 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

5 minutes ago, Sarex said:

LotR extended edition marathon... 😄

Lmao, I had literally just come back to edit in "besides brain-rotted LotR fans, that is". Not that there's anything wrong with the original trilogy by any means, but it is danged long and you'd be completely mad to sit through all of it in one sitting. Also, the theatrical versions of The Two Towers and The Return of the King are better than the extended editions anyways.

• Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

27 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

If you actually release it as a TV show, then sure. Who wants to sit down and watch a movie for 6 hours straight, though?

I wouldn't watch it straight, but I'd watch one in a theater broken up like a series. I think a lot of theaters could benefit from showing it with a break every hour or so, when covid makes it reasonable of course. It'd be a lot more interesting than sitting straight through a half an hour of commercials before 2.5hr cgi **** fest, assuming that the movie was actually good. I'd much prefer a six hour Dune to a

YOU FELL FOR IT, FOOL!

THUNDER CROSS SPLIT ATTACK

• Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Having intermissions would help, but I'd much rather watch something that's 5 or 6 hours long in the comfort of my home, where it's completely up to me when the intermissions are.

• Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

10 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Having intermissions would help, but I'd much rather watch something that's 5 or 6 hours long in the comfort of my home, where it's completely up to me when the intermissions are.

...In all fairness, I hadn't gone to the theatres for anything for years even before the pandemic, and I'm certainly not going to now. And I'm probably not even going to watch Dune, not unless it really gets rave reviews anyways. I've only read a few Dune books, so I'm not exactly a superfan of it.

Edited by Bartimaeus

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

Hence why I said "cinematically filmed TV series."
It's 2021 ... just because it's going to be aired on a "TV channel" doesn't mean you have to frame/film/direct it like Days of Our Lives.  You could even create a whole new "feature film series TV channel" in the sense that's where all such productions would first air/rent.

But I'm also like Bartimaeus ... I think the last time I was in the theater was for Star Trek: Into Darkness. I do not value the giant screen experience more than I value not having to deal with theaters and annoying public. etc. Probably never did. It's just that when I was a kid, there was no choice - outside of hoping a network would air some cut-up, commercial ridden version - so to a theater we would go.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I will almost definitely never go to a theater in my lifetime ever again - not being able to pause, having to deal with other people both in and out of the actual movie-watching experience, the seating situation, the whole food scam - everything, really. The only exception I can think of is if it were limited re-showing of something old or less popular that I love at a smaller theatre that I genuinely wanted to have a theatre experience for. 12 Monkeys, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Perfect Blue, The Thing...I could see myself going for those and some of my other favorite movies. Something I haven't already seen before? Nope.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

I have a fairly high-end "55 TV and plan to purchase a Dolby Atmos surround system once I purchase a house. I have no purpose for a movie theater ever again.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

^ I'm still trying to figure out how to do a 75" TV in this room.  For when I build that 8080ti 8k* gaming PC. :shifty: 

It would fit, the question is more where do I put everything else. I think I've decided at this point I don't actually need a giant surface desk. Only my small portable keyboard/mouse/food/drink table.  TV on a heavy steel floor stand, no desk, just some wall shelves or a server type shelf unit to put everything on. Hahaha...

*or more likely, a 4k native 120fps rig. Just not sure 4k would be good enough at 75" tho...hehehe

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Late to the party, but just got around to seeing Wind River (2017). Checked it out because I really liked Hell or High Water (2016) which was written by the same guy.

Definitely worth checking out if your tastes skew toward darker fare.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

1 minute ago, Sarex said:

Yep. Did you notice the time is synced?

Yeah, that's a neat thing to do. Must have been fun for the actors to have to say 1-59 for the samples.  As for what I saw, nothing too amazing, kept getting the Children of Men-esque scene with the sea of SWAT officers parting for Neo, hah.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

7 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Yeah, that's a neat thing to do. Must have been fun for the actors to have to say 1-59 for the samples.  As for what I saw, nothing too amazing, kept getting the Children of Men-esque scene with the sea of SWAT officers parting for Neo, hah.

Tbh, I'm looking forward to the movie. I liked all 3 parts.

31 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Tbh, I'm looking forward to the movie. I liked all 3 parts.

I enjoyed Reloaded the surprise at the end was good. 

As for Revolutions, only good part was

gN5J8XeVg7cAHwqkGDjONfeqfT0SBk45eP1m0eBX

:lol:

• Like 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 minutes ago, Malcador said:

I enjoyed Reloaded the surprise at the end was good. 

As for Revolutions, only good part was

gN5J8XeVg7cAHwqkGDjONfeqfT0SBk45eP1m0eBX

:lol:

I liked the cake girl that eats the laced cake more.

• Haha 1

On 9/5/2021 at 2:02 PM, Bartimaeus said:

As long as it's on HBO Max then it'll be workable. Sorry to Dennis but I was never going to see Dune in the theaters

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

14 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

As long as it's on HBO Max then it'll be workable. Sorry to Dennis but I was never going to see Dune in the theaters

B-b-but it will be like running a motorboat in a bathtub.

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1