What Are you Playing Now: Living the Good Life

Amentep

21 hours ago, melkathi said:

Hurlshot enjoyed it.

I enjoyed it.

Some random person on Steam hated it.

All criteria met for being rated excellent.

I enjoyed it too, but I also kind of hate it because it was what I was playing when my PC died last year, so I'm kind of biased.  Not that it was the game's fault (my power supply fried my video card) but still...

12 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Look at you girlfriend, you little modder you :thumbsup:

But you only can be considered " hardcore" modder when you use Romance Mods effectively

But small steps, small steps ;)

:lol:

You can "mod" a lot of things in 7 Days very easily, it's just a matter of changing or deleting etc. lines in the .xml sheets. Not a big deal outside of the time it takes to hunt and peck for the right lines (alter or remove the "wrong" lines and you'll get all kinds of errors, haha).
Although these days you can create/dump them into a Mods folder so updates don't constantly revert all the tiny line changes you made, back again.  Or for more extensive mods some make that include more scripting or graphic reworks.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 3/19/2021 at 1:06 AM, Lexx said:

Yeh, posted that a few days ago. : >

It made me not buy / play the game, tbh because I realized it's just more of the usual.

Sorry, I missed this before - I can understand that pov.  The main reason the video sorta made me want the game is so I could try "breaking" it too.  :lol:

I mean let's face it, overall there's only so many ways you can do a crafting/survival+action game. There's going to be one (maybe) or two that fits a personal playstyle/game mechanics preference.  I feel like Valheim has too much focus on boss fighting which isn't really my thing anymore, if it ever was. I'd probably play it (because it has a different aesthetic vs. 7 Days) if I could remove most of that and just creatively build mountain castles/towers that most players would never have the patience to make legitly. Ages ago, before all this 3D pc gaming, I used to want a copy of AutoCad or similar so I could design floor plans because I'm weird like that.

I still haven't gotten far in No Man's Sky.  I like its exploration feel and the theoretical possibilities, but something about it did not inspire the "one more hour" type of feeling for me.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, melkathi said:

Like Mass Effect 2 being present when my motherboard fried.

Couldn't handle Miranda's ass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've been exploring a lot in Valheim and I'm barely making a dent in the map, the full world size is just so gargantuan. I can walk through the meadows and black forest biomes with impunity, nothing scares me there. I even recently meleed a 2 star troll (1 star enemies are stronger than usual, 2 star a way stronger). I'm only mildly concerned in the swamp and mountain biomes. In the swamp only blobs and oozes worry me and only if I don't drink my poison resistance mead. Nothing that does physical damage can get through my armor there. In the mountains I only fear stone golems, but they are easy enough to avoid/escape. The plains is the only biome where I have to be really careful. Loxes are easy enough; they can do a lot of damage but are a piece of cake to kite and go down from a half dozen or so arrows. Deathquitos can do a decent chunk of damage if I don't block with my shield and they get on top of you quickly, but I can 1-shot them with my silver sword. Fulings are relatively easy 1 on 1, but are quite dangerous in packs. Fuling berserkers are straight up frightening.

I have some wacky ideas for a fortress and town to build, but I'm holding off until the Hearth & Home update arrives (hopefully soon) as that's sure to have some new building pieces. In the meantime, I'm trying to find the summoning altar of boss #4. I know it's a dragon and I've found dragon eggs in the mountains, so those are likely used to summon said boss and said boss is likely in a mountain biome somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

When I said Below Zero mainly just reminded me of how incredible the original Subnautica was, I wasn't joking. I'm on my third playthrough now.

I've not done much, but I feel like the second I have a Moonpool, the game is already as good as beat.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Im  a few hours into Far Cry 4 and its been, as expected,  a fun experience that is reminiscent of previous FC games and other games from Ubisoft with a similar game design like Assassins Creed 

Lots of fun things to do like crafting and hunting, freeing up areas under enemy control and then a non-linear primary quest which you can do when you want when you want the game to progress

I have used only 1 Mod which allows early access to all  weapons and all areas of the map, its a good Mod and just improves the gaming mechanics 

https://www.nexusmods.com/farcry4/mods/26

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Let's see ... the highest you can place a block is at 254M.  If I build a single block column starting at 65M (typical not-mountain height is 55-65M), it takes 189 blocks to reach the limit. So seemingly, one block = 1M.  My character is definitely taller than one block, so "M" is unlikely to stand for "Mile" ... thus I'll assume it's for "Meter" ... which means the max building height from 65M would be approx ... 620 feet?

That doesn't seem very high, considering tallest in real world are 1800+ feet. Oh sure I could dig to bedrock and add maybe another 150 feet, but that section would be "underground" - unless I feel like digging up the entire world down to bedrock - and it's not the same.  So much for my plan to build a version of 432 Park Avenue or similar. I am disappoint! 😐  Oh well, probably for the best, since often grand plans, not always enough patience....

Also: to place blocks without cheat-flying, one hits the jump key and quickly places a block under the 'feet', re-landing on the newly placed block, over and over.  Then at the top, you just skydive off, die, and respawn on your bedroll.  Repeat until you have your main vertical supports up, then start trying to create/connect all the floors/walls/whatever, using ladders (where's my elevators!) and makeshift scaffolding, of a sort, while now trying to not purposefully skydive. 

7DtD-A19-012.jpg

13 hours ago, Tale said:

When I said Below Zero mainly just reminded me of how incredible the original Subnautica was, I wasn't joking. I'm on my third playthrough now.

I've not done much, but I feel like the second I have a Moonpool, the game is already as good as beat.

Nothing will ever beat the odyssey that was deciding to NOT build the Cyclops and instead just going full steam ahead with just the Prawn Suit to traverse the Lost River completely blind down into the Inactive Lava Zone. Best/worst decision I ever made, because it was so slow, and terrifying, and it was impossible to see where the hell I was supposed to be going. It was terrible, but also a great and unique experience. On a second playthrough, I built the Cyclops, and marveled how much easier, quicker, and safer that whole trek was.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I plopped down a forward base of sorts in a large cave neighbouring the ghost leviathan and never drove the cyclops past it, seemed way too risky. Running around with the prawn suit without the heat absorbing batteries was ...an experience. :lol:

I'm not a base-building sort of guy and...I also didn't have the heat-absorbing batteries, either. Let me just reiterate that it was a terrifying experience where I had very little resources left by the end, :p.

• Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

6 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Started playing Dota 2 a bit again. Apparently your account is now reevaluated based on how long you've been gone from it. About time they added something like that!

My god I feel old now, daaaaaaaaaaaaamn

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I started playing Parkitect in co-op while waiting for It Takes Two to release. Now I have a problem: I want to keep playing Parkitect. It's interesting is that the game has the very definition of tacked-on multiplayer, in that it simply allows a second (or third, or indeed eighth) player to interact with your park at the same time. This mode was added to the game back in December, and it's great - more games should tack on this form of simplistic multiplayer that doesn't change the game mechanics at all.

Before going into more depth, I have an admission: I've never played a Theme Park-style game, including the genre's progenitor and namesake. I've extensively played City, Tower, Farm, Hospital and all manner of other such sims, but never the likes of Rollercoaster Tycoon (despite owning a boxed copy somewhere). Nor do I remember going to the corresponding real-life venues, at least since I was a little kid, perhaps some thirty years ago. But I'm kinda hooked now.

At first I thought I wouldn't enjoy some of the more fiddly aspects of the game. I didn't think I'd like designing rollercoasters segment-by-painstaking-track-segment, and that I'd be happy using the pre-fab options offered. I didn't think I'd like the detail of meticulously hiding the behind-the-scenes park infrastructure from the guests. I didn't think I could possibly tolerate the idea of building structures using tiny pieces akin to Lego bricks, in a system designed in a world where The Sims' far more intuitive systems never existed. But I do.

That's not to say there's nothing to complain about, of course. After all, the measure of how much I like the game is by how much I nitpick at it. The user interface is passable at best, and I would hardly say intuitive, especially when dealing with the Z-axis. A whole slew of objects including critical ones like walls, doors, roofs, bins are simply tossed into a catch-all "Decorations" category in the build menu, making them unnecessarily hard to find. And the game has a really weird economic balance where the default pricing of all your attractions and shops starts far below fair market value. In most management games the default values for things like this - prices, rent, tax rates - tend to be fairly reasonable in terms of maintaining a sustainable income, and pulling the various economic levers tends to be an optional task for advanced players to optimise their productivity. In Parkitect, if you don't immediately adjust prices of every facility upwards by some 50-100%, you're well on the way to bankruptcy.

Anyway, It Takes Two is now out, and it appears to be getting great reviews, so I'm at a loss as to where to go from here with the limited co-op playtime available to me. In single-player land, things are much simpler: I'm just playing some AoE2 skirmishes while waiting for the big Cyberpunk patch to drop. I pondered starting a fresh game of the Outer Worlds as I've just bought the expansion pass, but that seems unwise.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Monster Train DLC, The Last Divinity.  I've unlocked all the cards from the new faction, have over half of them gold.  Only tried to fight the new end boss once, got destroyed (to be fair, I had zero idea what the fight was like, and I was playing with the new clan, so I had almost zero game plan in terms of synergy.)

The exile champion from the Wurmkin is awesome, not entirely sold on the regular champ.  Some really cool new artifacts though, and some of the new units for the other factions seem insanely good.

Picked up Out of the Park Baseball 22. I decided to give the online games a try. Basically you get a bunch of card packs with players, set a lineup, and sim against other people. So far it seems fun, although you can kind of buy your way into a good team, which is lame.

Im really at the honeymoon period in Far Cry 4 where all the activities and side quests are great fun and thoroughly entertaining 

Riding elephants to battles, hang-gliding and general exploration always reveal something new. As I mentioned before this is what Ubisoft is best at. They have a good game design world and the mechanics work nicely to provide a refined and compelling gaming experience 🖥️

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Tried out This Is The Police, but the first impression was rather negative. A lot of narration interrupted with short bits of clicking. Starting the car in the morning (which I guess is a fancy load screen) feels as if it takes longer than the actual gameplay. So I am uninstalling. I don't feel the need to see that car starting animation a fourth time.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

1 hour ago, melkathi said:

Tried out This Is The Police, but the first impression was rather negative. A lot of narration interrupted with short bits of clicking. Starting the car in the morning (which I guess is a fancy load screen) feels as if it takes longer than the actual gameplay. So I am uninstalling. I don't feel the need to see that car starting animation a fourth time.

The story starts to veer off eventually. It was interesting, but I did not finish it. I did become a bad cop though, so I guess I learned how slippery slopes work.

monster hunter Rise. I thought i could stay away and wait for a year to get the pc version.  I was so wrong.   And i'm going to play it a lot based on the first few hours. ( and then again when it's on pc).

• Like 1

1.13 killed off Ja2.

On 3/18/2021 at 10:26 PM, LadyCrimson said:

Judging by the millions of views, maybe everyone's seen it before, but ...

Some of those videos are pure gold. The one where he deletes the internet had me laughing my head off. He does put a ton of hours into each game he 'breaks' though.

Now that it's been reasonably polished (and discounted), I finally got around to playing Wasteland 3 with a friend. I'm having fun so far and liking the systems -- it's rewarding to have non-combat skills be almost on par with combat ones in usefulness, and the perks are distinct and interesting for the most part. The story is kinda meh, but not Bioware-level meh. So the odds are good that I'll finish it at least...

• Thanks 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Continuing learning DMC5. So. Much. Fun. Got S on all missions on easiest difficulty, trying to do the same one slightly harder one - most of it was easy, but there were couple missions I already struggled with. We will see if I manage to S it all, before getting discouraged.

I started my 2nd Outer Worlds playthrough. You know, I honestly wasn't looking forward to it as the game didn't stay with me, and I wasn't sure if I would enjoy my 2nd playthrough, but I had a blast yesterday and ended up staying until 2am... it didn't happen to me in a while. It might be shallow but it is still a good time. My worry that 2nd playthrough won't feel distinct I am afraid is being true - it's a Bioware situation, that while other paths exist they don't feel justified IMO.