What Are you Playing Now: Living the Good Life

Amentep

old thread:

Last few posts:

5 hours ago, melkathi said:

I want to write my own cyoa/adventure/vn.

I just don't know why people would find it fun.

Also what to learn to use... TWINE Sugar cube? Renpy?

3 hours ago, the_dog_days said:

Renpy is super easy to use. I messed around with it like a decade ago and quickly set up a scene with branching choices.

2 hours ago, Serrano said:

Coincidentally I was thinking about maybe doing an interactive fiction game soon to practice JavaScript.

There's a niche market for that sort of thing and I think it's possily growing. For one thing there have been four interactive fiction/ visual novels released by White Wolf recently that have been really good and I think did reasonably well saleswise (Three of them are Vampire: The Masquerade games and one is Werewolf: The Apocalyse).  Also there is a woman named Emily Short who used to do a lot of old-school interactive fiction and her work was really creative. She did a story called 'Glass' which I can't describe without ruining it but  was a really clever story and had a fair bit of tension in it, It's well worth playing if you want some inspiration.

http://iplayif.com/?story=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ifarchive.org%2Fif-archive%2Fgames%2Fzcode%2FGlass.zblorb

This is sort of off-topic but there's also been a trend in the last of couple of years about watching people, actors ect playing tabletop roleplaying games and that's really taking off like wildfire. On Twitch there's a channel called Geek and Sundry and they do loads of these but there's also Dimension 20 and White Wolf themselves produced a series called Vampire: The Masquerade - LA by Night that's really popular. I feel like there could be some overlap between people who watch those shows and play IF games (Hence the Vampire games I mentioned before) and if you wrote something compelling enough I'm sure there'd be an audience for it. I think if you're looking for things to research before you write your story then it may be worth checking a couple of these channels out.

Good luck with your project, I hope you have fun with it

26 minutes ago, melkathi said:

I have played two of those games. Were I to try my hand at a White Wolf VN, Changeling is the only setting I find interesting, but also it is the most intimidating setting to write for.

But one should write about what one knows, so I am plotting a story about teddy bears. Obviously. It does mean though there may be a lack of overlap with a part of their target audience.

(I got rejected as a writer by Black Library. Most likely they didn't like my pitch. but to be honest, I don't think they'd let me near a warhammer IP. My profile does not comply with their standards for acceptable behaviour).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Oh sure, new thread right as I was hitting reply.  Messing up my quote...  😄

@melkathi "I want to write my own cyoa/adventure/vn."

...every time I play a game that I like but wish had "a few things different", I want the skills to program so I could make my own game that's tailored toward only my wants (cause I'm selfish like that). But even if I could, I know by the time I actually finished it (years later) ... I'd be so sick of thinking about the thing I'd never play it.  :shifty:

Thus I stick to something like 7 Days where I can simply mod the heck out of the .xml files to suit me.
I'm having fun with the extra large no-zombie bedroll zone, since I still have to clear out the houses/POI's and monitor my 'activity/heat map' increases re: screamer spawns, which having zombies totally off would negate/remove.  Sadly, none of this alleviates my issue of growing bored of a map/save after about 10-16 "days" and wanting to start a new map. 

• Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

2 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

choice of game have pretty good interface for the format

but lack of save system are really annoying

*scratches head*

I'm unsure if "choice of game" is the name of a game you're playing or if you are referring to what I (or someone else) am playing.  :teehee:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

5 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

*scratches head*

I'm unsure if "choice of game" is the name of a game you're playing or if you are referring to what I (or someone else) am playing.  :teehee:

choice of games are a publisher with a lot of text based cyoa

most of them use the same engine

Baldr Sky is my main game right now. It's... kind of slow. There's advice in writing circles in the US to cut your first chapter or so because people tend to write too much buildup and wait too long to get to the interesting bits. This advice is clearly not popular in Japanese Visual Novel circles I'm finding. Still, it's pretty fun.

Dungeons of Naheulbeuk I'm playing on the side. A comedic RPG based on some radio dramas if I remember right. It's actually super charming and been a few laughs so far. So I'm glad I grabbed it and fully recommend.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

5 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Oh sure, new thread right as I was hitting reply.  Messing up my quote...  😄

I have a terrible track record with refreshing this thread...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

5 hours ago, Tale said:

Baldr Sky is my main game right now. It's... kind of slow. There's advice in writing circles in the US to cut your first chapter or so because people tend to write too much buildup and wait too long to get to the interesting bits. This advice is clearly not popular in Japanese Visual Novel circles I'm finding. Still, it's pretty fun.

Never play anything by Key. Their games tend to use half their length for the intro.

So I picked up Assassins Creed Origins again, because I wanted to check out how they did their deserts and stuff. Played it for roughly 5 hours now. The game world really looks fantastic. They did an amazing job with it. But the gameplay is so god damn boring, oh god.

• Thanks 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I started playing Fable Anniversary  its very early days but so far so good

I have to say the game makes me laugh, like really laugh with the lines and comments from NPC's. Especially with the outrage when my character as a boy decides to do some " evil " things like accepting a bribe for not ratting on someone who was cheating on his wife 8)🌶️

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Not knowing what I am doing is turning out to be a very bad idea in Nexus.  Should have read the manual, but slowly plodding along, silly me was trying to use all my weapons and wondering why the Whiskers wouldn't lose its shields.  Still is a very fun game, shame the sequel failed its Kickstarter.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So I bought Valheim before it as cool. Played about 30 minutes, had bad performance on my fairly new computer, and refunded it. Then everyone and their mother bought it, and I saw all the pictures posted here, and I am weak-willed, so I gave it another try. I'm enjoying it more but I still can't get it to perform well. I get a lot of lag whenever I try to sprint around. But it is fun building chimneys.

• Like 1

@HurlshotI believe they recently added a Vulkan option on Windows (On Linux Vulkan is default, this is what I use, with an option to use OpenGL). I'm not sure whether the Windows default is DX10/11 or DX12, but you might want to try Vulkan, if you haven't already.

The game will freeze for me, sometimes (though not often) for as much as 6 or 7 seconds, when autosaving, but it runs relatively well otherwise. I'm (most likely) on a different OS, so we're comparing apples and oranges, I guess. I do hope they optimize the game performance some more.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Hit a wall with this damn mission First Blood in Nexus, can't kill the enemy before I fail the objective.  I did clear it but lost 2 ships I need for the next mission. And no way to turn difficulty down without restarting the whole game, hah. 

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Still mostly playing Guild Wars 2 these days. Taking a break every now and then for the usual suspects. Xenonauts, Master of Orion 2, Borderlands 2, NieR: Automata and a few old SSI wargames on my C64 emulator

Speaking of NieR, looking forward to NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139. I hope Kaine is still as foul mouthed as she was in the original (never played that one, only watched youtube clips)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

16 minutes ago, melkathi said:

Good times!

Sarcasm is uncalled for.

• Sad 1

Warewolf the Apocalypse Hearth of the Pooshcha. Eastern Visual Novel about warewolves from World of Darkness setting. It is VN so you click grumpy dialogue options, read, and watch slideshow (yay). But you can roleplay your character as lowkey pup or angry bitch so plus for that.

35 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

So when am I supposed to try to kill the first boss in Valheim? Because I am terrified of him right now.

Eikthyr is a pushover. Go in rested and with a full belly. As long as you aren't butt naked it should be no problem. I used a bow with fire arrows first time around. It worked but was ultimately a waste of fire arrows (save em for trolls and/or the second boss). Flint spear + shield is my suggested loadout, but anything beyond bare fists will do.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Even cheating on that mission in Nexus, I still failed. Really seems buggy, either I was very competent when I was younger or the game's a lot different than the version I played it on :lol: Colossus wouldn't raise the fortress shield and would just die in the first minute. 

On 3/11/2021 at 3:51 PM, Hurlshot said:

So I bought Valheim before it as cool. Played about 30 minutes, had bad performance on my fairly new computer, and refunded it. Then everyone and their mother bought it, and I saw all the pictures posted here, and I am weak-willed, so I gave it another try. I'm enjoying it more but I still can't get it to perform well. I get a lot of lag whenever I try to sprint around. But it is fun building chimneys.

I picked it up because a few friends did it and set up their own server to run it. So running around voice chatting and combining our efforts.

We were actually a bit paranoid about Eikthyr, so before we summoned him, we slapped down a worktable, and build a set of stockade walls with archery platforms to climb up around it, just to add a little extra. Then he went down fairly easily.

The Elder is much more of a nightmare to face. Don't try it till you have a lot of bronze, and a whole bunch of fire arrows.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Pillars of Eternity. 

Will pick up Deadfire once it goes on a GOG sale or is free on EGS.

Based off what I've seen, looks like Deadfire fixes everything I do not particularly care for in 1st.  Apparently It has multiclassing and a bit less tedious combat/gameplay, which is fantastic.