What Are you Playing Now: Living the Good Life

Amentep

7 hours ago, melkathi said:

Played the new mission in Troubleshooter. Tonight I'll play it again and send in feedback on the translation :)

I already did 3 updates through Steam since the first announced update, kind of interesting I wonder if they were bug fixes?  Haven't played it yet going to wait for a big chunk of them, kind of like how I stream anime lol ... one episode is never as good as a binging 3 to 4 episodes ;)

Edited by bringingyouthefuture

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

They had announced an update for the 12th. That broke one of the side quests where you hunt the yasha around the city. One patch was to fix that. The other patch was for a sentence that made absolutely no sense so the dev just quickly fixed it and updated for that... I think?

Also, I got Giselle some new shoes. Though I have to wonder how she and boss Hanson are wearing the same size.

sBF9xYY.jpg

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Still stuck on First Blood but it seems the game's broken in difficulty where reloading a save causes corruption in the save and things going wrong.  Would explain the odd behaviour.  Bah. Maybe will go dig up my old CDs...

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

DMC5!!! It fills the empty space left by Bayonetta2 (and B3 😪) being Switch exlusives. Combat is freaking awesome. Story/cutscenes not so much (not even amusing most of the time as B). Movement, camera and exploration is horrible. But that combat system. I am fine with a game doing one thing really, really, really well. 

When in mood for something more sabdued I also play Plague Tale. It's alright. Story is ok for now, we will see where it will go. It didn't grab me the way Senua did. The main complaint would be gameplay loop - I think it is quite similar to Senua with it's shallow gameplay mostly aiming to reinforce narrative - however, I think Senua did better job in making it a seemless connection - combat with no UI, reinforcing immersion and the story. In PT, it feels more seperate, with stealth sections and puzzle sections inbetween story beats. It's also doesn't help that it's very "gamey" and UI heavy. And one thing I really don't like is forces exporation - the game has collectibles and crafting system and demands you to explore, but it's counter intuitive to story and overall linear design - it is not always clear which are is explorable, and which one will result in intant failure.

Now writing this, I think both games are quite similar - focused experiences that do one thing pretty well, but have some unnecesary detrimental weight attatched, and in both games it's dodgy and forced exploration.  

23 hours ago, MellowYellow said:

Based off what I've seen, looks like Deadfire fixes everything I do not particularly care for in 1st.  Apparently It has multiclassing and a bit less tedious combat/gameplay, which is fantastic.

Yup. The multiclassing alone is a huge plus-up for me. Makes such a big difference in the game.

• Thanks 1

Prey. First things first, having to repeat what is essentially werewolf chase from Bloodlines every half-a-hour or so is NOT fun, game! :down: There is a reason Bloodlines had only one! I also don't care for game loop itself because I really hate backtracking and respawning mobs and Prey combines the two, but because exploration is really fun and stealth wouldn't have a point in empty levels anyway, I'm not much bothered by it...or wouldn't be if not for the ☠️💣💩🧅 werewolf.

Like, the setting is fantastic. Science fiction + space + alternative timeline. Love this. Exploration and atmosphere is great (esp. space with creaky noises and space beeps, love it). Art direction's great. Story hook in the beginning v. powerful and it remains intriguing, and I'm totally doing the second playthrough because I'm not taking any freaky powers so far and they seem fun. 

But seriously, that werewolf. Wish so much I could mod out that fokker. :down:

30 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

So...the big bad guy that chases you in Prey shows up more often if you are more violent in your actions. I snuck around mostly and only saw him a couple times.

Well, since enemies respawn I feel compelled to mop them up whenever I re-enter the locale, lest new ones keep spawning on top of previous tenants until I end with a marketplace of them. :getlost: Still, I'm quite out of ammo and materials to craft it are needed elsewhere (neuromods! MOAR neuromods!), so soon I'll see where lowering the chaos brings me.

Prey is great. Never had any issues with the big chungus as he was easy to avoid and only lasted two minutes. Plus, spoilered, since I suspect you aren't up to it yet

You can turn him off later by fiddling with a satellite (?)

Those electrobrains in space though, now that was frustrating. Zappy Explodey Charge Gun won't work, and you can't manoever, the perfect double whammy.

• Like 1

Have some commentary on random games I've played lately.

Buddy Simulator 1984. I'm not sure what this game is trying to do. It's like it's supposed to be a horror title with a really insecure AI creating games for you. The text adventure segment is full horror and aspects of that carry over into future segments. And there's lots of horror tropes. But the buddy is so affable it's like being haunted by Casper the friendly ghost who likes to create quirky NPCs where murder and torment is a punchline. It's impossible to be afraid. And it's not funny either. So I'm lost.

Perfect Vermin. A free game on Steam where you bust up stuff in an office building to find creatures imitating furniture. And then it gets crazy. But it goes further in the end and tries to be deep. It's fun, but what it's trying to say ends up causing whiplash with all the gravitas compared to what came before.

Vessels. Where has this been all my life? You can beat it in two hours and it's $5. If that's okay with you, BUY IT. You're a guy in an airlock trying to stop himself from getting spaced by the rest of the crew. And there's a voice in his head that grants him powers. It's a cosmic horror story, but more than that it's a great mystery. Explore the ship with your powers and learn what happened. If it had been made with a real budget it could have been the next Outer Wilds.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

19 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Prey is great. Never had any issues with the big chungus as he was easy to avoid and only lasted two minutes. Plus, spoilered, since I suspect you aren't up to it yet

Reveal hidden contents

You can turn him off later by fiddling with a satellite (?)

Those electrobrains in space though, now that was frustrating. Zappy Explodey Charge Gun won't work, and you can't manoever, the perfect double whammy.

I got that spoiler, but it only has 4 uses. So of course I'll be saving them up "for when it gets really bad" and finish the game without spending a single one as it usually goes.

I am still playing Fable Anniversary, its a light hearted game and not a serious RPG but good fun and entertaining 

I am using  a Controller as opposed to my normal choice of M\KB. Its interesting but I find it doesnt take me long to be become proficient with a Controller, normally a few hours. And using a Controller for certain games is just better like Sleeping Dogs and Fable 

Anyway after about 20  hours I got  to the battle with Jack of Blades and I found  it unreasonably hard and frustrating to defeat him. I tried for about 2 hours but kept getting killed by problems with movement and accessing potions 

So I found a good Mod on Nexus that enhances the Slow Time spell to literally freeze time for about 90 seconds in RL

I used that Mod and was able to defeat him and then uninstalled that Mod because it would unbalance the game in further battles which I want to win without " cheating " 

But once again it never ceases to amaze how Mods can enhance and improve your gaming experience ⌨️

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Neverwinter Nights 2

Absolutely loving it so far.  Playing as a Druid/Barbarian, these classes compliment each other well.  Just got the Monk dwarf in my party now all I need is a mage and a rogue and I'll be set.

Really hope Obsidian returns to DnD in some form sometime in the future because I kinda dig this better than Pillars of Eternity, which is riddled with jagged gameplay.

The only problem I'm having here is turning up the resolution screws my system up.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, MellowYellow said:

Neverwinter Nights 2

Absolutely loving it so far.  Playing as a Druid/Barbarian, these classes compliment each other well.  Just got the Monk dwarf in my party now all I need is a mage and a rogue and I'll be set.

Really hope Obsidian returns to DnD in some form sometime in the future because I kinda dig this better than Pillars of Eternity, which is riddled with jagged gameplay.

The only problem I'm having here is turning up the resolution screws my system up.

Good choice Comrade, its a great game and has some excellent characters and the narrative is compelling. Their are also some nice Romance options, I liked Qara and Torio Claven but I wasnt able to Romance Qara and I didnt use to use Mods when I played it which some Mods  apparently allow you to court Qara 💖

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

59 minutes ago, MellowYellow said:

Neverwinter Nights 2

I played through NWN2 OC twice. Both times I liked the first third and the last third. The middle third really drags. Still, I enjoyed the game well enough.

I won't go on a rant about the grievous injustice that was the omission of a Neeshka romance, I'm sure Obsidian has heard enough about that to fill several full length novels. I do wish they had given me the option to slit Elanee's throat in her sleep, or at the very least let me expell that pointy-eared irritant from my party. On the bright side, Neeshka, Qara, and Sand were all delightful. 

• Like 5

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Excellent, won the league again with Brno.  Some 17 year old kid that can do nothing but run fast and cross was the key to winning the playoffs.  Now I have 10MM Euro to spend on players....except no one worth a damn wants to come play for me :lol:

• Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Use the money for something meaningful. For example buy all your team's fans a copy of Troubleshooter to keep out of trouble between games. Explain it as a measure to combat hooligan violence.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

That has me thinking in FM23 or so they'll give you stuff you can buy with your managerial salary, like cars, houses, etc.  Given how they seem focused on crap OTHER than the wank match engine, anyway 😛

8 hours ago, Keyrock said:

On the bright side, Neeshka, Qara, and Sand were all delightful. 

I liked most of the NPCs overall, though there was one in particular that really dragged things down with his elitism, snarkiness, silly pointy ears, dumb class and [redacted] conduct in the final battle. Indeed, I think I've never had such a negative reaction to a collection of dialogue trees applied to a digital image.

Yep, I don't like Sand.

Edited by Zoraptor