What You've Done Today - As the World Turns

Amentep

18 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Hey, since you disabled updates in Group Policy, do you know if there is a way to shut Windows Defender up about updating its virus definitions? I've firewalled the entire OS from accessing the internet, but doing so causes Windows Defender to incessantly yell at me about its definitions.

No clue. I think I left Defender as something that can update itself, it's one of the few Win10 services I don't mind having run - I only disabled o/s (all those "packages") and all drivers (I hate Windows updating any hardware drivers, I'll do such manually thanks).  That said, I can't even remember the last time I got some Windows "notification" for anything.

Hubby does all the firewall stuff (physical hardware firewall, all his work and remote desktoping needs more than avg. precautions) and I'm just an extension of his network so in some terms I don't really think about such.  I don't have Windows Firewall or any other software firewall enabled tho, never have on any Windows. 

I did a ton of Win10 tweaking initially, including some powershell command stuff, to the extent I had to write down everything I did so if I ever have to reformat/reinstall I can hopefully do it all again, because by then (well, already, now, actually) I won't remember jack.  😛

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Signs of passing winter: aka where's my housemaid. Could use a personal home decorator too.

needhousemaid.jpg

Also ... why I like dark rooms.

darkvslight1.jpg
Darnit, can't unsee, now I have to clean my KB.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The flea market in Covington is open again. I took Sunny with and wen't to go look. Well, they stopped me in the parking lot. Apparently the new people running it are not allowing dogs. So, guess who is not going to the flea market anymore. If she's not welcome, I'm not welcome. Besides, I don't eat that trashy food they sell there, I don't want "confederate" flags and I don't even wear a belt so I don't need designer belt buckles. And I have plenty of broken tools already. 

After that ignominious ejection we wen't to Mid South BBQ where good company (even furry) is welcomed at the picnic tables outside. I had 1/4 BBQ chicken, baked beans, collard greens and pecan pie and unsweet iced tea. She got grilled chicken breast with no sauce. Cut into chunks of course. After that we took a ride out to visit our property out on east liberty ave then went home. 

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

I don't even wear a belt

For some reason this came to mind

I watched way too much Simpsons.   Did you point out the irony of a flea market not wanting dogs ? 😛

• Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 hours ago, Malcador said:

Did you point out the irony of a flea market not wanting dogs ? 😛

Aargh! The right thing to say only now it's too late to say it!

• Haha 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I've been looking at that livestream from Fagradalsfjall watching the lava grow, almost all day. It's facinating to watch somehow.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

8 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Signs of passing winter: aka where's my housemaid. Could use a personal home decorator too.

Also ... why I like dark rooms.

darkvslight1.jpg
Darnit, can't unsee, now I have to clean my KB.

that's disgusting... is what we would like to say, but looking at our keyboard am embarrassed by just how bad we let it get.

perhaps more disturbing is the realization am willing to let our keyboard exist in its current sad state o' dusty disrepute and am only mild curious as to how much filth need accrue before we become motivated to do a proper cleaning.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Up half the night playing Imperator Rome. I’ve been trying for a while to win as one of the lesser Greek states. It always seems to play out the same way. Once Macedon and Phrygia stop fighting each other you’re pretty screwed. Doesn’t really matter which one of them wins that war. Your ass is next

Thomas Sowell

Doing some work today, the term Byzantine really describes our application some times.   

Function A calls B, then calls C.  Easy enough, except B also calls C.  So validation in C gets called twice, except A modifies the relevant values in between the calls so one will pass correctly and the other just fails as well.   Now I could straigthen this out, or just roll with it and make illogical recalculations before the function that is to do the recalculations. 😛

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm so sick of the unyielding metal finger splints, where you can't feel anything, it's like wearing metal gloves... so I  tried wrapping the velcro strips around my knuckles instead. Seems to work to keep the joints from auto-curling/sticking into bent "trigger" position, no popsicle stick required. :lol: Good enough for day use anyway, just wear metal splints at night.  I might even be able to use a game controller (clumsily). Not that I should...

Apparently "trigger thumb/finger" tends to be more common with diabetic people, RA, and older women.  And pc users/some jobs, I'm sure. Sigh.

*grumpy deformed claw, cat*  :cat:

• Sad 2

Exchanging e-mails with a former colleague over the past few days. He has a job opportunity in Mexico. I had a pretty good time working there a few years ago. I have to say the Mexican government makes getting a work visa very easy. But the job is in Nuevo Laredo which is.... not so nice.  Probably why he's having a hard time filling it. 

The thought of designing mmWave 5G networks definitely appeals. But it would be such  a huge disruption to my life. Besides, aside from my few entrepreneuial ventures I think my working career is done. 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

After many years got to finally use "I am altering the deal, pray I don't alter it any further" at work.   Sure it was about a Repo trade in our system and no one actually got it, but whatever.

• Haha 1

Home from work today and tomorrow, I pulled something in my right shoulder and it hurts like ****. And I've got a bruise that's larger than my hand, so that's nice.

• Gasp! 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

17 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

I got my second vaccine dose yesterday. So far just a sore arm. :thumbsup:

/jealous

6 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Home from work today and tomorrow, I pulled something in my right shoulder and it hurts like ****. And I've got a bruise that's larger than my hand, so that's nice.

Did you go to a doctor, seems like you tore a muscle. You shouldn't leave that **** untreated if it needs to be treated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

22 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Did you go to a doctor, seems like you tore a muscle. You shouldn't leave that **** untreated if it needs to be treated.

Yup, she said it seems okay, I've got mobility and strength in the arm, I probably ruptured the bloodvessel from the force though. A leg on a link-trailer suddenly got stuck as I was pulling it out with much of my bodyweight behind it so I'm not surprised. Rusty pieces of ****.

• Sad 2

Similar thing happened to my brother... Only they punctured his vain with a needle, beforehand. His whole arm below the elbow was one big bruise.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

19 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Similar thing happened to my brother... Only they punctured his vain with a needle, beforehand. His whole arm below the elbow was one big bruise.

Yeah, that is about the same way it turned out for me, just that it's at the pectoral muslce/shoulder/bicep area that looks like I got punched by a troll. 🤣

I'd take a picture, but then I'd have to take off my shirt, and that's not happening :p

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

After many years got to finally use "I am altering the deal, pray I don't alter it any further" at work.   Sure it was about a Repo trade in our system and no one actually got it, but whatever.

I know how you feel, nobody got my Churchill quotes in another thread. :lol:

• Gasp! 1

3 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I know how you feel, nobody got my Churchill quotes in another thread. :lol:

What??? You should have told me? Churchill is one of my heroes, I cant say I am expert on his quotes but I can always pretend to know them ...next time just PM me before ;)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

I got my second vaccine dose yesterday. So far just a sore arm. :thumbsup:

Just got my first dose literally like fifteen minutes ago. I'll let y'all know if I die.

They also gave me a bag of skittles for my trouble - they were giving them out for people who got the vaccine. Haven't had them in years, so there is that, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 4

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Uh, no, no it wasn't.  Probably got dumped in a neighbor's garage mail slot instead. It's not really worth debating over tho ... I'll probably just try to order it again if neighbors don't bring it by in another day or two or something..
noitwasnt.jpg

In other daily  news, one of hubby's workers has Covid.  He was one of the few that was actually in the office a fair bit this month (the place is largely empty most of the time).  So hubby can't go in the office himself (IT/network server ppl need to do that sometimes) until it's been cleared or something.  The guy's in his early 30's and has diabetes issues. 😕  Hubby hasn't seen him in person for a couple weeks or been in the office this week so probably no worry there.  Hope the guy ends up ok.  He was extra careful because of his condition but can't be careful enough these days I guess. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Could pay attention in team calls, but watching Star Wars Kinect videos is much better

• Like 2