What You've Done Today - As the World Turns

Amentep

6 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Uh, no, no it wasn't.  Probably got dumped in a neighbor's garage mail slot instead. It's not really worth debating over tho ... I'll probably just try to order it again if neighbors don't bring it by in another day or two or something..
noitwasnt.jpg

In other daily  news, one of hubby's workers has Covid.  He was one of the few that was actually in the office a fair bit this month (the place is largely empty most of the time).  So hubby can't go in the office himself (IT/network server ppl need to do that sometimes) until it's been cleared or something.  The guy's in his early 30's and has diabetes issues. 😕  Hubby hasn't seen him in person for a couple weeks or been in the office this week so probably no worry there.  Hope the guy ends up ok.  He was extra careful because of his condition but can't be careful enough these days I guess. 

I always get surprised when I hear how companies respond to Corona and how despite the virus being with us for over 1 year it seems many companies still dont understand how the virus spreads

Its the same in SA, we use to implement these deep cleans at every school or company  if their was 1 case of the virus and everyone would go home for 2 weeks and then you can go back to school or the office if you have no symptoms 

This approach ignores how the virus is primarily  spread by people and through droplets that float in the air. Asymptomatic people dont have symptoms so the only effective way to let people go back to work after exposure is wait for your incubation period to pass, 2-10 days, and then test anyone going back to work with quick test methods where you get the result back in 1 day 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I recently had a misdelivery too. I had ordered a new router from Comcast and one day later I received a text that it had been delivered. Checked the front door, garage door, walked completely around the house...nothing. Then two days later at 0600 I see the package at the front door! WTF?!?! It wasnt there when I went to bed. I notice these little footsteps in the snow leading to my front door and I follow them back, turns out my neighbor received the package and had just noticed and brought it to me. Aside, Comcast "self install" is easy peasy.

Speaking of, does anyone know the legality of stealing mail off of someone else's doorstep that's actually yours? A handful of years back, I once had a package delivered that I knew the rough dimensions of in advance, the package said it was delivered one morning, but it was nowhere to be found. Did a circuit around the block and spotted what looked to the right box on someone else's doorstep, and just went up and looked at it, saw it was addressed to me, and made off with it - see ya later. In retrospect, pretty dumb to do, seems like a good way to get the cops called on you, but I'm wondering if it's actually illegal to do that.

(e): Also, it's still cold enough up here that we got a light snow last night. Yay.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Hmm, ultimately I dont think its illegal since youre the intended recipient. But if I were ever in that situation I would ring/knock on the door before taking it. If they didnt answer, see ya later. Everyone around here has a Ring doorbell so I wouldnt want to look shady. :lol:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Speaking of, does anyone know the legality of stealing mail off of someone else's doorstep that's actually yours? A handful of years back, I once had a package delivered that I knew the rough dimensions of in advance, the package said it was delivered one morning, but it was nowhere to be found. Did a circuit around the block and spotted what looked to the right box on someone else's doorstep, and just went up and looked at it, saw it was addressed to me, and made off with it - see ya later. In retrospect, pretty dumb to do, seems like a good way to get the cops called on you, but I'm wondering if it's actually illegal to do that.

(e): Also, it's still cold enough up here that we got a light snow last night. Yay.

Bartie I never would have thought you would be involved  in such an act of  depraved criminality....I imagine the Mexican Cartels will be recruiting you soon!!

But I think you will be fine. Short of trespassing, if it can be considered that ,  I cannot see how you broke the law ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

24 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I assume they can't hit you with theft, but they could hit you with trespassing and call the cops on you. The hassle with the police could be much more trouble than it's worth, even if no charges are filed.

It's warm here now, soon it will be hot to the point being outside is miserable.

• Sad 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

9 minutes ago, Sarex said:

@ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP You changed your name. 🧐 Didn't know you could do that. What brought that on?

I saw someone else did it and thought I'd give it a try.

You can change it by going into account settings and changing it with the email address.

• Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It is time to take up the mantle of oby.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 minutes ago, Malcador said:

It is time to take up the mantle of oby.

What happened to Oby? I miss him, didnt you say you knew him from some online game or something similar ?

John Milton 

No, I said I am oby.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 minute ago, Malcador said:

No, I said I am oby.

I thought  I was Oby?

John Milton 

2 hours ago, ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP said:

I assume they can't hit you with theft, but they could hit you with trespassing and call the cops on you. The hassle with the police could be much more trouble than it's worth, even if no charges are filed.

It's warm here now, soon it will be hot to the point being outside is miserable.

As I understand it (not lawyer/not legal advice) you have a legal right to ring a doorbell, and then a legal obligation to leave if no one answers or they ask you to leave in the US.  So provided he didn't have to get behind a posted no trespassing sign or gate or something, I would doubt it could count as trespassing, even if the police ended up being called.

Only time I had a package knowingly delivered to somewhere else, it ended up at an abandoned property(!) so it wasn't a big issue for us to retrieve it.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Sounds like a question for LegalEagle (who I suspect is Amentep).

• Gasp! 1

2 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Sounds like a question for LegalEagle (who I suspect is Amentep).

I'm just a subscriber (I don't want to see him in court!)

• Haha 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Upper manager was amused by my answer to "Why haven't you done these issues?" which was "Everyone else keeps giving me their ****ing work to do".   Good thing he's Scottish, else would be put off by profanity 😛

• Haha 1

I can't decide if I like this avatar better than the previous one.  This one is more in line with my current extra grumpy/bored old fart self but the other one was cuter and caffeinated-kitten is what I'm like in my good/hyperactive moods. Maybe I should just switch them back and forth as a mood indicator.

*stares down the hall at hubby's office door* ... is if 5pm yet? I'm so bored and my hands hurt. Hubby, entertainnnnnnnnnnn me. Or at least give me snuggles. Snuggles makes grumpy cat go away.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

55 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

I can't decide if I like this avatar better than the previous one.  This one is more in line with my current extra grumpy/bored old fart self but the other one was cuter and caffeinated-kitten is what I'm like in my good/hyperactive moods. Maybe I should just switch them back and forth as a mood indicator.

When I've had two versions of an avatar I can't decide on, I would create a two frame gif out of them where the second frame would be on like a 60 second delay.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Had to go to the courthouse today in Dyersburg to clear up a petty annoyance with a property easement problem. I've been trying to do this by phone/e-mail but Dyer county hasn't joined the 21st century yet. I considered asking Janet (my lawyer) to deal with it but I figure I'm going to end up writing a goddamned check no matter what why write two?

But I did stop in Wal-Mart and ordered some groceries and other stuff on my phone. They brought it out to me without having to go in! This changes everything! The thing that sucks about going to Wal Mart is actually BEING in Wal Mart. Now that part is optional! 

COVID is freaking terrible but some good has come of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

When I've had two versions of an avatar I can't decide on, I would create a two frame gif out of them where the second frame would be on like a 60 second delay.

That would probably make me think I was hallucinating.

I'm off for the weekend and so is my fiance. So tonight we made some sablefish and are drinking, and tomorrow we are going to eat desert, drink, and watch tv because this week has sucked and the rona is still out there. Here is hoping my liver survives.

• Gasp! 1

Yeah, I've done stuff for specifically that effect too - something like 60-120 seconds and then a 1-3 second alternative version before going back to the normal version. I don't think basically anyone ever notices, though - the chances of someone sitting on a page with specifically my avatar on screen while actually happening to be looking at it when it occurs is probably very unlikely. If even one person gets weirded out by it, though, it'll all have been worth it.

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

2 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah, I've done stuff for specifically that effect too - something like 60-120 seconds and then a 1-3 second alternative version before going back to the normal version. I don't think basically anyone ever notices, though - the chances of someone sitting on a page with specifically my avatar on screen while actually happening to be looking at it when it occurs is probably very unlikely. If even one person gets weirded out by it, though, it'll all have been worth it.

OH MY GOD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP said:

I saw someone else did it and thought I'd give it a try.

You can change it by going into account settings and changing it with the email address.

Wait, you can change your user name on your own, now?

Hmmmmmm....  

"CatLadyWithNoCats"
"LCdoesntactuallylikethecolorred"
"WhereNoOneKnowsMyNameAgain"
"YouCanCallMeLC"

🤔 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

5 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

LCdoesntactuallylikethecolorred

I initially read this one very differently until I noticed that there were double 'R's at the end. Phew, that was a close one.

• Haha 3