What You've Done Today - As the World Turns

Amentep

10 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I initially read this one very differently until I noticed that there were double 'R's at the end. Phew, that was a close one.

LOL 

Oops, didnt even see/notice that possibility. Everyone used to ask if I liked the color because of the username. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

2 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

I made a very mature decision to update my name.

I am jealous because my name doesn't seem to lend itself to anything nearly as stately and mature.  🤣

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I have a deep-seated fear of someone trolling me by making it so I can't switch back by taking my name themselves. Although I haven't been particularly attached to this name for over a decade (I do keep using it for consistent identity reasons however), it'd still be annoying!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

I have a deep-seated fear of someone trolling me by making it so I can't switch back by taking my name themselves. Although I haven't been particularly attached to this name for over a decade (I do keep using it for consistent identity reasons however), it'd still be annoying!

How did you know I've been watching, waiting for you to switch.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

<--- Has had a Youtube account for 15 years.

Youtube; Please verify your age with a credit card.

-.-

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

26 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

<--- Has had a Youtube account for 15 years.

Youtube; Please verify your age with a credit card.

-.-

I had that happen to me with a 20 year old Amazon account (age check with a passport, not a credit card obviously) three years ago. It's ridiculous. :)

• Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I like my screen name. It's a tribute to a NWN charcter. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, majestic said:

I had that happen to me with a 20 year old Amazon account (age check with a passport, not a credit card obviously) three years ago. It's ridiculous. :)

Heh, yeah, it is. And I'm fairly certain it's the EU's fault.

Well, I've got a way around it, it's a minor annoyance really, but still. I can't imagine it being much more difficult to circumvent than the "Are you over 18?" question in the long run.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I like my screen name. It's a tribute to a NWN charcter. 

I've been using Gorth first as a board game character since 1978, CRPG character since 1983 and online since 1991. Sort of feeling a bit attached to it ☺️

Strangely enough, in online games and MMO's I'm known by a different name for the last 10 years. Sort of my secret identity 😂

No, not really. Just strange how names sometimes seems to "stick" to you and can be hard to get rid of again.

Edit: as for the etymology, I had attempted to read the Danish version of Lord of Rings (courtesy of the public libraries), but it was just way too boring and too long. I did take a glance at an appendix page with a list of names and figured, oh, Gorthaur, cool name, I'm so gonna steal that. Right up until the first wargame on a tabletop and my opponent asked me to pronounce my generals name 😊

Nothing that couldn't be fixed by chopping off a few syllables until I could pronounce it. Sort of. Heck, one syllable left, how hard could it be???

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

I've been using Gorth first as a board game character since 1978, CRPG character since 1983 and online since 1991. Sort of feeling a bit attached to it ☺️

Strangely enough, in online games and MMO's I'm known by a different name for the last 10 years. Sort of my secret identity 😂

No, not really. Just strange how names sometimes seems to "stick" to you and can be hard to get rid of again.

Edit: as for the etymology, I had attempted to read the Danish version of Lord of Rings (courtesy of the public libraries), but it was just way too boring and too long. I did take a glance at an appendix page with a list of names and figured, oh, Gorthaur, cool name, I'm so gonna steal that. Right up until the first wargame on a tabletop and my opponent asked me to pronounce my generals name 😊

Nothing that couldn't be fixed by chopping off a few syllables until I could pronounce it. Sort of. Heck, one syllable left, how hard could it be???

I wonder if the Danish version is as boring as the English version? I read The Hobbit and Lord of the  Rings about 30 years ago  and I found them  both boring compared to the fantasy books I read nowadays from the likes of Steven Erikson or George R R Martin. I do acknowledge their absolutely important  contribution towards the fantasy genre that I love and how they are classics and that will never change but for me to read them nowadays is difficult compared to modern writers 

I also have a cool story for my forum sobriquet, its my RL name and then my initial and surname. Its amazing how much you and I have in common...you probably find we are related?

:teehee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

13 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

I wonder if the Danish version is as boring as the English version? I read The Hobbit and Lord of the  Rings about 30 years ago  and I found them  both boring compared to the fantasy books I read nowadays from the likes of Steven Erikson or George R R Martin. I do acknowledge their absolutely important  contribution towards the fantasy genre that I love and how they are classics and that will never change but for me to read them nowadays is difficult compared to modern writers 

I also have a cool story for my forum sobriquet, its my RL name and then my initial and surname. Its amazing how much you and I have in common...you probably find we are related?

:teehee:

I never got around to read the Danish version. Bear in mind, I would have been around 14 at the time and preferred comics over novels *cough*. We had Danish translations of most of the Belgian/French comics at the time. My love for Tolkien came way later when I got an adventure game "The Hobbit" for the Commodore 64. I was stuck getting killed in the dark in the goblin caves (where you're supposed to find the ring) and the only clue was to read book. The game came with an English version of The Hobbit and I ended up reading it (and found my clues! I had to find and turn 3 trolls into stone, so I could get the sword "Sting", which glows in the dark when orcs/goblins are near, so it could light my way through the caves).

I was several years older at the time, around 17-18 or so, and suddenly found the story interesting. Went out and found both Lord of the Rings and Simarillion in English and loved them. Especially Silmarillion is something I read over and over, even to this day.

I probably just assumed a while ago your name would be something like Bruce Van (Der) C...something ;)

Given the Dutch/Africaans influence on the language

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

5 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I never got around to read the Danish version. Bear in mind, I would have been around 14 at the time and preferred comics over novels *cough*. We had Danish translations of most of the Belgian/French comics at the time. My love for Tolkien came way later when I got an adventure game "The Hobbit" for the Commodore 64. I was stuck getting killed in the dark in the goblin caves (where you're supposed to find the ring) and the only clue was to read book. The game came with an English version of The Hobbit and I ended up reading it (and found my clues! I had to find and turn 3 trolls into stone, so I could get the sword "Sting", which glows in the dark when orcs/goblins are near, so it could light my way through the caves).

I was several years older at the time, around 17-18 or so, and suddenly found the story interesting. Went out and found both Lord of the Rings and Simarillion in English and loved them. Especially Silmarillion is something I read over and over, even to this day.

I probably just assumed a while ago your name would be something like Bruce Van (Der) C...something ;)

Given the Dutch/Africaans influence on the language

What an interesting story about using the books to solve the gaming problem, those were the days when you had to really think and or consult alternative sources to complete games like this. Nowadays when faced with a similar problem it takes 30 seconds to use the amazing invention of the Internet to find the same solution

I really respect the effort you had to put in but I am  glad we have the Internet to find things quickly nowadays and its not that I consider myself lazy but their is just so much to do in our modern era and time is of the essence 

White people in SA are different ethic groups the same as everywhere else and the Dutch association is only for Afrikaans white people. I am English and our surnames are generally the same as English surnames like Wainwright, Bollington, ****craft and then also Scottish and Irish influence. But we have no direct connection to the Dutch unless you changed your surname when you married an Afrikaans\Dutch person 8)

• Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Why does YT keep recommending all these "watching a movie first time reaction" videos? Why do they seem so popular (sorta)? Why are they all approx 30 minutes long (not 18, not 22, not 45, always close to 30).

*few hours later*

...well, they're kinda cool for rewatching a movie without actually rewatching the movie...the ones who are calm and have more to say then "cool, I liked it" are more interesting.  The ones who like to holler and scream/ham it up get turned off in 60 seconds.

I imagine 30 min is a sweet spot for length in the recommendation algorithm. 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I saw some video that explained one reason some videos have millions of views in less then 24 hrs.  Something about the comments.  Not the ones under the video, some community thing or something.  I forget.

The algorithm that has YT recommending some low-count obscure video 7 years after it was uploaded to thousands and thousands of ppl on the same day is a weird one.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Today I woke up, had coffee and a piece of bread with some peanut butter for breakfast. Looked at my garden and was pleased to see everything has sprouted. Then sat on the couch and read a book. At some point I dozed off. Then I woke up and moved to the chair. After all this excitement I think sunny and I might go for a walk. 

i’d go look for a job that the states kind of paying me not to.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

22 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Why does YT keep recommending all these "watching a movie first time reaction" videos? 

I made the heinous, unforgivable mistake of watching like 5 minutes of a "vocal coach reacts to some song" video. The YT algorithm immediately started FLOODING my recommendations with reaction videos. It took me weeks of completely ignoring all reaction videos to mostly clear my YT recommendations of them (they still sneak in the odd one here and there).

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I drove to work for the first time since September. It is strange how much I missed my classroom. I usually take a break from this room for about 2 months over the summer, but it has been my workspace for the last 17 years, and it was strange to have such a long break. It is a lot easier to get stuff done without the distractions of homelife.

Also, I had to log in here on my work laptop, and I had a bit of an issue, until I remembered to change an h to an n. :p

• Like 2
  • Haha 1