The What Are You Reading thread (now with a simpler name)

Amentep

On 12/28/2021 at 1:53 PM, BruceVC said:

But back to his horror books, I agree that IT was excellent and also Needful things and Rose Red. The latter 2 being some  of my favorite books he wrote. And you cant forget The Stand ...its superlative 

I hate to be 'that guy', I really do...

...but I'm going to embrace my inner 'that guy' and thus be 'that guy'.

Stephen King wrote the screenplay for Rose Red.  It wasn't based on a King novel, but an original concept (like Sleepwalkers or Storm of the Century). It originated as a film with Stephen Spielberg, but Spielberg and King disagreed on the direction of the story.  Eventually King bought back the rights to the story treatment and developed it as a screenplay for a TV miniseries, as his work was finding success in that format. There was a tie-in novel to the miniseries released called The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer: My Life at Rose Red, however it wasn't written by King, but by Ridley Pearson (and released under the name of Joyce Reardon, the parapsychologist from the Rose Red miniseries).  It purported to be Reardon's edit collection of Ellen Rimbauer's diaries and was, itself, the basis for the sequel miniseries to Rose Red, called The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

15 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I hate to be 'that guy', I really do...

...but I'm going to embrace my inner 'that guy' and thus be 'that guy'.

Stephen King wrote the screenplay for Rose Red.  It wasn't based on a King novel, but an original concept (like Sleepwalkers or Storm of the Century). It originated as a film with Stephen Spielberg, but Spielberg and King disagreed on the direction of the story.  Eventually King bought back the rights to the story treatment and developed it as a screenplay for a TV miniseries, as his work was finding success in that format. There was a tie-in novel to the miniseries released called The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer: My Life at Rose Red, however it wasn't written by King, but by Ridley Pearson (and released under the name of Joyce Reardon, the parapsychologist from the Rose Red miniseries).  It purported to be Reardon's edit collection of Ellen Rimbauer's diaries and was, itself, the basis for the sequel miniseries to Rose Red, called The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer.

You absolutely right, thanks for the correction

I did some research quickly to confirm what you posted and this is the book I read. King didnt write it but its a brilliant horror book anyway 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Diary_of_Ellen_Rimbauer:_My_Life_at_Rose_Red

• Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I read it, because its a diary it wasn't as easy to get into as I hoped, but it was a great companion to the Rose Red miniseries (which is a pretty good haunted house tale, IMO).

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It's been near four months since I was last reading a book. I doubt that dry spell broke any records for me but it is unusually long. So... here we go

Amazon.com: The Ice Bowl: The Green Bay Packers and Dallas Cowboys Season  of 1967 eBook : Shropshire, Mike: Kindle Store

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I was reading a synopsis pm a new book for the Army War College:  Battle Tested!: Gettysburg Leadership Lessons for 21st Century Leaders.

It goes into excruciating depth of the decisions of senior officers during the battle. Heck I can sum it up in five points without even reading it!

• Don't attack a numerically superior force on defensible ground
  • Underachievers maker terrible subordinates (Ewell)
  • Overachievers make wonderful subordinates (Chamberlain)
  • If your enemy is making a mistake. do NOT stop him.
  • If it didn't work yesterday and it didn't work today it's not going to work tomorrow!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

I was reading a synopsis pm a new book for the Army War College:  Battle Tested!: Gettysburg Leadership Lessons for 21st Century Leaders.

It goes into excruciating depth of the decisions of senior officers during the battle. Heck I can sum it up in five points without even reading it!

• Don't attack a numerically superior force on defensible ground
  • Underachievers maker terrible subordinates (Ewell)
  • Overachievers make wonderful subordinates (Chamberlain)
  • If your enemy is making a mistake. do NOT stop him.
  • If it didn't work yesterday and it didn't work today it's not going to work tomorrow!

Probably more tangential than directly related, but might be worth your time if you're reading books about Gettysburg

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

On 1/15/2022 at 10:17 AM, Achilles said:

Probably more tangential than directly related, but might be worth your time if you're reading books about Gettysburg

Added to my "to do" list. I've read Longstreet's memoirs of the Mexican war but not much else. I have read a great deal about post-civil war American history. Very little about anything in the Revolution to Civil War period. 

Thomas Sowell

• 3 weeks later...

31170723. sy475

Picked this up about a week ago, but started it in earnest today. So far it seems like the best single book to read on the brain...once you've read all the others.

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

518ZN2h8thL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Tackling this one, is a bit hard going.  Helps that I really hate Sulla :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

the wisdom of crowds

ended with bayaz destroy the most likable character in the last three books

the story of the worst generation of main character finally over

leo somehow weaver between complete idiot and learned something from past mistake

but he did give the best argument in the end of the book

do you believe your own lies are such a nice line

the book also insist on pretending orso losing in the end are somehow a tragedy

and savine stay the worst main character

every reader pretty much already guessed who are eater

but the same bandage one helped black dow was a nice touch

really hope those ancient mage have more screen time

monster fight would be more entertaining after such long wait

was hoping broad kill savine through out the whole trilogy

so disappointed

Edited by uuuhhii

Currently reading

Theodore Roosevelt: An Autobiography by [Theodore Roosevelt]

Thomas Sowell

Machinehood by S. B. Divya

Modern sci-fi stories about the near future sure seem busy with all the tech-culture details. But at least this one keeps the number of characters to a minimum so you get some occasional character development in there.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

• 2 weeks later...

the ruin of kings

pretty standard dark fantasy stuff

filled with oppression revenge and scheme that move far too slow and character being mysterious and brood very hard at each other

trying very hard with all the weird name to make a unique setting

despite constructed with much effort the book end up slow and boring

give up half way through

• 4 weeks later...

I burned through Star Mother by Charlie N. Holmberg in about a day. It's a modern myth about a young woman who is called by tradition to literally bear the (star) child of the Sun god, a labor that, historically, has always been fatal for the mother.

Next up is War Lord by Bernard Cornwell; I've enjoyed many of his works in the past.

Bernard Cornwell was my jam in my 20's, but I've had trouble keeping up with the Uhtred Saga. I can't remember what book I read last. It probably helped that I read the Sharpe series after they were all written, whereas the gaps in between the Saxon Series have made it hard for me to keep up with the story threads. 

I just finished Ken William's biography on Sierra. It was excellent and gave me a lot of information I didn't know about my favorite game company growing up. He is an interesting character.

51AUUTHauPL.jpg

• Like 1

If you read one Saxon book you've read them all. I swear some of the text was cut and pasted between books. 

Thomas Sowell

just finished

the three-cornered war

'bout to start

one mighty and irresistible tide

am willing to recommend the first offering we mention. readable. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 3/29/2022 at 12:44 PM, Guard Dog said:

If you read one Saxon book you've read them all. I swear some of the text was cut and pasted between books. 

I haven't read one Saxon book, so I think I'm good. But thanks for your concern.

On 3/29/2022 at 11:33 PM, Gromnir said:

just finished

the three-cornered war

'

am willing to recommend the first offering we mention. readable. 

HA! Good Fun!

Added to my "to do" list

Thomas Sowell