The What Are You Reading thread (now with a simpler name)

Amentep

Now reading:

41eun1tU2OS._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Sid's book was a fun read but not very deep. I guess I was more interested in the actual development work he did but he just passes over working on games, which was a vain one as I doubt anyone would remember much to that degree.  At least finally figured out where MPS Labs came from in my old MicroProse flight sims. 

Now on to something more brainless

52757625._SX318_SY475_.jpg

I liked Honourbound by the same author,  so should be enjoyable.  Perfect set up for the next book about Stalingrad (I really have a lot of Russian focused books...)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It tried start reading Rhythm of War only to notice I don't remember everything that happened in the previous book. After reading a summary of Oathbringer I can finally start it.

Btw, considering each book takes 3-4 years to be released, the series will be 10 books long and Brandon Sanderson will stop* for a while after book five, then this will only finish in the 2040s.🙀

Probably before A Song of Ice and Fire, though.

*Stop simply meaning writing other books like Mistborn era 2 (3?).

sign.jpg

Mark of Faith was pretty good for a 40k novel,  Rachel Harrison's on my good list from BL authors.

On to

BLPROCESSED-Requiem-Infernal-Cover.jpg

So far so good.

• Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Mark of Faith was pretty good for a 40k novel,  Rachel Harrison's on my good list from BL authors.

On to

BLPROCESSED-Requiem-Infernal-Cover.jpg

So far so good.

Not a book per se, but an interview with one of the writers. Interesting (imho)

Covering everything from the backstory on how the Horus Heresy came to be (back then they couldn't afford to create molds to an opposing titan army) and the naming of the Primarchs (when people hang out in pubs, trying to make up names)

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Found this on eBay 

image.jpeg.1bf617c0caefb539e748e7ddc5176531.jpeg

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

On Amazon Kindle Fire is you buy a script to the DC Comics app you get unlimited access to their whole library. That will keep you busy for years

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

• 2 weeks later...

image.jpeg.3a083f3dbe0226c764cdb6b363e4035f.jpeg

Thomas Sowell

• 3 weeks later...

reading more pathfinder tale

the amount of melodramatic main character ending the story with oh no have to leave the side character they learned to care over the course of the story behind because the main character cannot change their ways and will only hurt the side character if they stay are extremly frustrating

Edited by uuuhhii

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

21OWb2MoyOS.jpg

Pretty fun read so far, can't get over reading about some people I've known (albeit on IRC).  Shame none of the pre-Alpha crew.

• Like 1

Currently reading an old school detective novel

image.jpeg.0c09584e2cac68a1348e88ed8b09c127.jpeg

Edit: i’ve had to stop myself from being overly critical and calling this clichéd. That’s a modernist perspective. This is one of the books that started all of the clichés.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

was unaware this existed

am not planning on listening to it anytime soon, but am curious. is one o' our favorite books. not favorite kid's book. no prefix or qualification required.  might even be disappointing to hear gaiman's voice instead o' the one we listened to in our noggin as we read the book back in 2008.  curious even so.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

511g6Jg3tLS.jpg

new release  but we were getting an advanced copy. is fun so far.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Added to my “to do” list 

Thomas Sowell

Just bought that last night, saw it on NPR's FB page.  Title was fitting, know 3 Russian women with pets named Pushkin. Although, really Pugachev's better for a cat.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

Any good? I'm a sucker for historical biographies, and I don't know much about what Lafayette did in France. Might buy this one on kindle, cheers.

Only three chapters in but I'm enjoying it so far.

To be fair, I'm familiar with this author via his second podcast (Revolutions), so I went in with a sense of what to expect and with the knowledge that this was a passion project for him (he moved his family to Paris when he started the book).

FWIW, if you want to know more about Lafayette in France, but don't want to pick up the book, the French Revolution was season 3 of the above linked podcast. If you try the podcast and like it, then that should be your baseline for his books (especially if you get the audiobook versions.

Hope that helps

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

On 8/24/2021 at 7:25 PM, Achilles said:

61rcWw152tS.jpg

Adding to my “to do” list

• Thanks 1

Thomas Sowell