General movie thread!!!!

Amentep

I watched Wonder Woman 1984 last night. It was a decent 90 minute movie spread out over 2 and a half hours. And Cheetah kind of got the short shrift didn't she? I'd give it a B-. 

• Haha 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Still digging through my old dvd collection now that I got most of the boxes shipped from Europe opened... ended up watching Sam Raimi's "Drag me to Hell" tonight. Good fun. Sort of comedy, sort of horror, sort of something else. A bit over the top humor like Evil Dead III

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I watched Dreamland (the one with Henry Rollins and Juliet Lewis, there are two movies titled Dreamland from 2019) and I have to say it's one of the weirder things I've seen over the last few years. I'd recommend it.

I also watched The Wolf of Snow Hollow which is a decent enough horror movie to watch while you're drinking.

On 12/27/2020 at 7:06 AM, Raithe said:

Aggressive, some oddly placed moments of humour, but Willis still struggling to actually give a damn about acting.

That's at least half of Bruce Willis movies.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Shadow in the Cloud. Saw this today and it's pretty good. Had a John Carpenter synth inspired soundtrack in the first half of the movie. Just your action packed popcorn flick. It was also short in at 1hr 20mins. Hopefully, more movies will go back to 90 minutes instead of being dragged out to 2-3 hours.

I watched Prometheus the other day and I really dug it, but Im a little confused by the ending. I think this is the gist of it: This movie is a prequal to the Alien movies. The Engineers seeded multitudes of solar systems across the universe with their own genetic material, which is a match for we humans. Now this is where things get murky for me...at some point the Engineers "changed their minds" and decided to create a biological lifeform that would destroy the other lifeforms they already created? This is what is inside those urn looking things? And when the urn worms gestate, they turned into the tentacle monster that the doctor had removed from her abdomen? And that tentacle monster was the precursor to the facehugger? And since the tentacle monster facehugged the last living Engineer on the ship, and the xenomorphs take some genetic material from their hosts, that is why we see the creation of the first "traditional" Alien at the end? Whew.

Prometheus was phenomenal if you're just going by cinematography, but I mean it's Ridley Scott so of course the cinematography was terrific. Where it falls apart is the plot and I've been trying to wrap my head around it for years I still don't fully understand it. As best I can tell the Xenomorphs or the Xenomorphs' predecessors were creations from the black goo which is like a biological weapon that the Engineers were using to fight somebody and the Xenomorphs' predecessors were essentially biological weapons that they employed and then of course things went bad and... I don't know...

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Still working my way through my old DVD's, cataloguing them as I go through them (just an Excel list for now, I never actually had a list of my movies). 150 titles added so far and still lots to go. Found two duplicates, Finding Nemo and Cry Baby. Going to give those to a friend.

Also found two movies that I decided to rewatch, both of them old Peter Jackson movies from back when he still made good movies. "Bad Taste" and "Braindead" :woot:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm on a site that keeps track of movies I've watched, and what I rated them. It's pretty useful for cataloging what I've seen and what I liked or didn't like over a long period of time (started in 2017, up to 260 titles now). Time can make things fuzzy.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

On 1/2/2021 at 7:36 PM, Hiro Protagonist said:

Shadow in the Cloud. Saw this today and it's pretty good. Had a John Carpenter synth inspired soundtrack in the first half of the movie. Just your action packed popcorn flick. It was also short in at 1hr 20mins. Hopefully, more movies will go back to 90 minutes instead of being dragged out to 2-3 hours.

not sure what is the point of that gremlin

the movie would be pretty much the same without it

34 minutes ago, uuuhhii said:

not sure what is the point of that gremlin

the movie would be pretty much the same without it

gonna guess it were homage.

am having little urge to see the film in question, but maybe if it eventual makes it to netflix...

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

There is too much nonsense in Prometheus. The honest trailer and the everything wrong with it videos make a good summary of the problems, but the film is beautiful.

The Red Letter Media videos are gold. Now I'll have to rewatch them.

Edit: the Engineers hated and wanted to wipe out mankind 2000 years ago, so some people think it was because Jesus was one of them and he was killed.

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 1

sign.jpg

39 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Edit: the Engineers hated and wanted to wipe out mankind 2000 years ago, so some people think it was because Jesus was one of them and he was killed.

we just assumed ridley scott were a big fan of fight club and took the chemical burn scene a bit too serious.

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

18 hours ago, Gromnir said:

gonna guess it were homage.

It's definitely a homage movie. It's a cross between a twilight zone episode and many other action/horror b movies from the 80/90s and a little bit of looney tunes thrown in for fun. It's over the top and it knows it. It was originally written by Max Landis and was a 70 page script. The director rewrote and added more to the script and stretched it out to 1h 20 minutes.

19 hours ago, Hiro Protagonist said:

It's definitely a homage movie. It's a cross between a twilight zone episode and many other action/horror b movies from the 80/90s and a little bit of looney tunes thrown in for fun. It's over the top and it knows it. It was originally written by Max Landis and was a 70 page script. The director rewrote and added more to the script and stretched it out to 1h 20 minutes.

I wonder when he wrote the script, never thought Max Landis would get to work on a film like... ever again.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

So Bruce Campbell is aiming to do "The Expendables of Horror" if he can with Bruce vs Frankenstein...

"I want to get so many horror movie stars that people can’t possibly not see the movie. I want to give them other stuff to do. I want to have Kane Hodder be very particular about what he eats. I want Robert Englund to be a tough guy, like he knows tae kwon do or something. I want to find out the hidden sides of all these people. Some will play themselves, some will play alternate characters as well. I may approach Kane Hodder to play Frankenstein." Campbell told JoBlo.com in an interview.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

3 hours ago, majestic said:

I wonder when he wrote the script, never thought Max Landis would get to work on a film like... ever again.

It must have been a while back. The director has distanced herself and the movie from him so much that she now is credited with a co-writer on it - meaning she has re-written more than 50% of the script.

14 hours ago, Raithe said:

So Bruce Campbell is aiming to do "The Expendables of Horror" if he can with Bruce vs Frankenstein...

Everybody remembers Bruce Campbell for the Evil Dead series, and rightfully so but my favorite Bruce Campbell project was The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. It was the campy adventure nonsense I love so much. Firefly at least got the Serenity movie which sort of finished up the storyline, but we never got anything like that for The Adventures of Brisco County Jr., it made me so sad.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

As much as Bruce was awesome as Brisco, the show wouldn't be the same without Bowler, IMO. Would have loved a movie while Carry was still with us though.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I think Bubba Ho-Tep is probably the best Bruce Campbell movie. 

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands