General movie thread!!!!

Amentep

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

As a counterpoint, wash away the sweet taste, Event Horizon was next. Somehow that movie always make me think of the WH40k universe 👀

I loved Event Horizon.

• Thanks 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

12 hours ago, Raithe said:

Yes, but potentially it means we won't get a full Dune made.  If they don't feel the first half makes enough money, he won't get the 2nd half produced.

So it's not just him venting on the artistic need to see things in full cinematic screen experience.

the pandemic accelerated a trend. we sympathize-- villenueve is a victim o' bad luck or unfortunate timing. both. we expect a director to fight for a movie in which he has invested so much, but some kinda special dune exception does not seem likely in spite o' fact we were looking forward to it. after all, the industry were changing. the industry has changed. we rare go to theatre releases and am expecting we will do so less and less in the coming years. 

no matter how comfy you make the seats or how fantastic is the sound system, theatres is still dying.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Amazon-rented "Love and Monsters."  Kind of a tongue in cheek young adult/family-film survival in a post-apoc world of mutated animal dangers where humans are largely living in bunkers. Takes a little while to get going but after the 25-30 minute mark and the main character ventures outside, it's quite cute and entertaining, better than I expected really. The scenes with Michael Rooker were especially fun.

Also, super-cute best dog chr. 

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Bought and watched "Suicide Squad". It was fun. Not pretending to be any Haute Couture, just a good old fashioned action romp (Dirty Dozen Lite). Story was weak in several places (hey, it's a super hero universe, no big surprises there), but the acting was generally good and while some characters felt tacked on as the token characters, most of them were interesting enough. Special fx were decent. Not bad for an approx 6 us dollars dvd purchase. I know I've spent a lot more money on way worse entertainment.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yeah, I watched Suicide Squad about a week ago too. I rolled my eyes fairly hard at the whole "outcasts and pariahs coming together as family", but the upside was definitely the acting, especially Will Smith who obviously had fun playing Deadshot. A pity that neither he nor Jared Leto are signed on for the sequel.

All in all a bit of good, silly fun.

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Nicolas Cage seems to be making a ton of bad movies again. Not that he ever stopped, but it's breakneck speed lately is all I'm saying.  I'm beginning to wonder if it's not just quick-cash but maybe he's simply an obsessive workaholic? 😛

I was usually willing to watch most of his bad films but the last two I tried were so awful (outside of Cage himself) I had to turn them off after 30 minutes.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

45 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Nicolas Cage seems to be making a ton of bad movies again. Not that he ever stopped, but it's breakneck speed lately is all I'm saying.  I'm beginning to wonder if it's not just quick-cash but maybe he's simply an obsessive workaholic? 😛

I was usually willing to watch most of his bad films but the last two I tried were so awful (outside of Cage himself) I had to turn them off after 30 minutes.

Isn't he head over heels in debt that he's trying to get out of?

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

47 minutes ago, majestic said:

Chris Pine is trying to pull off a Jeremy Irons? Uh-oh... :)

Hey, it was a glorious Jeremy Irons having fun with overacting.

• Haha 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

is difficult to think o' a greater challenge for an actor than deliver a memorable and thought provoking performance in a d&d movie. perhaps this is chris pine's way o' measuring himself as an artist?

not serious btw. unless the producers showed up at his home with a dump truck full o' money, we got nothing.

HA! Good Fun! 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

19 hours ago, Raithe said:

Outlaw King and Hell or High Water were good. Not sure I've seen him in anything else that impressed me.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I liked him a lot in Wonder Woman

agreed. patty jenkins and chris pine deserve much credit for the steve trevor character in ww. while we wouldn't put ww in any o' our top ten lists, it were an entertaining film and am thinking that in a movie with dan huston and david thewlis, it were chris pine who had a paradoxical subtle standout performance which managed to not in the least distract from or diminish gal gadot as ww. 

best performance in ww were, in our opinion, chris pine. best character were steve trevor. get big Gromnir applause for chris pine and patty jenkins. 

we were also moderate impressed with pine in hell or high water

HA! Good Fun!

On 12/13/2020 at 3:47 PM, majestic said:

Isn't he head over heels in debt that he's trying to get out of?

I thought that was like over 10 years ago and several years back it was more than half paid off already.  I guess he could still be working on it. Or got in even more trouble.  Dunno.

Caught Tenet.

It feels very much like Nolan going for an artistic turn of a spy film.  It's got fairly good performances, some very nice visuals and interesting sequences, but then it's wrapped around one of those "We're using time travel as an excuse to do things" plots. The time inversion again, is an interesting idea, but the very nature of the story leaves all sorts of things hanging and unexplained. Which I guess adds to the whole sense of secrecy, misdirection, and temporal inversion loops. 

Robert Pattinson definitely seems to be clearing the bad taste of Twilight away, while the main character literally refers to himself as "I'm the protagonist" a few times, and doesn't have any other name.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

About Tenet. Spoilers just in case.

Spoiler

Time reversing in Tenet works like antimatter in real life, with a positron being essentially an electron travelling backwards in time. Electron positron annihilation into a photon can be seen as the electron hitting a photon from the future and being reflected back to the past. A photon creating am electron-positron pair and them annihilating is the same as an electron trapped in a loop by two photons.

314426.image0.jpg

The only difference is that anything reversed should blow up in contact with normal matter but they say it will only happen if you touch yourself.

Think about other things in the movie and you'll find many other inconsistencies, but it is still a very entertaining movie.

sign.jpg

16 hours ago, Raithe said:

Robert Pattinson definitely seems to be clearing the bad taste of Twilight away

Have you seen The Rover? Or Good Time?

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Tenet

After so many reviews saying it is the worst Christopher Nolan film, I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. I quite enjoyed it. Though it was bit weird only the antagonist had a backstory.  

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

23 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

About Tenet. Spoilers just in case.

Oh I know Nolan actually got some real physicists to talk to on the time thing.

What I was meaning more was that mix of back and forth, who created the organisation, who worked for who, the chicken and egg aspect to everything. It's almost like Tenet is the pilot episode for a tv show.  It has its encapsulated plot and characters, but leaves you aware of a whole lot of potential plot threads loose and waving.

That the protagonist finds out about the temporal cold war because he's brought into the organisation, but then he's the one that apparently ends up going back in time to create the organisation in the first place.

Throw in that friendship in reverse - "To me, this is the end of a beautiful friendship. To you, it's just the start of one."  - It's a River Song Bromance. (For the Doctor Who reference)

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Are you familiar with the theory that

Reveal hidden contents

says Niel was actually the antagonist's son? The beautiful friendship would actually be them living together after the protagonist got involved with Kat.

I hadn't heard that one.