General movie thread!!!!

Amentep

"Underwater" via HBO

Mixture of Alien and maybe Deepstar Six with a hint of Abyss, or something along those lines.  Starts the action right away, no long "get to know ppl" intros. Which means you never really get to know anyone as they crawl under debris, walk the ocean floor in suits and bang on doors trying to get in.  There's the funny guy, the captain, the scared one, another guy, and Kristen Stewart.  Because they spend so much time in their diving outfits the movie is very moody-dark and often murky, hard to tell what's going on occasionally. A good showcase for the OLED TV. :lol:  Not very scary/suspenseful tho.  Kristen's chr. is largely mute the entire film.  The ending monster and scenario is straight out of a video game, I snort-laughed.  So yeah ... for its genre ... maybe a 4.5/10.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I liked Underwater for what it was.

The final monster was straight up Cthullu though.

For my part, I watched Altman and Feifer's adaption of E. C. Segar's POPEYE comic strip with Robin Williams, Shelly Duvall, Paul Smith, Ray Walston, etc. Its the 40th anniversary of the films premiere, in December 1980. Its long been a favorite film. Possibly one of the best odd-ball films ever made. It still amazes me that the studio so hated working with Altman that they played up it being a failure (despite making 3 times its budget in the initial box office run).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

My father turned around the other day and made a comment that he's seen bits and pieces of all three Godfather films, but he'd never actually watched the complete films.

So picked up a 2nd hand DVD set and bingewatched them over the weekend.

Now I'm thinking of tracking down a copy of The Freshman....

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

4 minutes ago, Raithe said:

My father turned around the other day and made a comment that he's seen bits and pieces of all three Godfather films, but he'd never actually watched the complete films.

I don't understand. There are only 2 Godfather films.

• Haha 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

4 hours ago, Amentep said:

The final monster was straight up Cthullu though.

I got more of a godzilla enemy vibe from the big monster. Not enough overemphasis on madness.

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom. Solid movie, but it felt short and you could tell it was a play adaptation. Will be weird if this is Chadwick Boseman's last performance.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, KaineParker said:

I got more of a godzilla enemy vibe from the big monster. Not enough overemphasis on madness.

Director said it was Cthullu. The idea was that Tian (for LovecrafTian) was a business that fronted for the cults that tried to raise Cthullu in the short story.

They failed before (as hinted in the film with the abandoned station) and would try again per the cover-up and stated intentions to continue their activities in the newspaper articles at the end.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

8 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Director said it was Cthullu. The idea was that Tian (for LovecrafTian) was a business that fronted for the cults that tried to raise Cthullu in the short story.

They failed before (as hinted in the film with the abandoned station) and would try again per the cover-up and stated intentions to continue their activities in the newspaper articles at the end.

Cthulu runs a telecom business:

:p

• Gasp! 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I didn't know I needed or wanted another Beatles documentary until I found Peter Jackson's sneak peek at some of the "unseen" footage he has access to for his upcoming film.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Baker - A low key UK film where Damian Lewis hitman Milo is having second thoughts on his career, when his rival Bjorn (Nikilaj Coaster-Waldau) causes trouble and the organisation they both work for decides to terminate Milo.

Milo ends up hiding out in a rural Welsh village where his mentor Leo (Michael Gambon) has some secret property. Milo gets mistaken as the new Baker. When the locals accidentally discover his identity, and rumors spread about his profession, and all the petty dislikes and rivalries of the villagers blow up. While Milo remains unaware and is just seeking to start a new life with his freshly discovered love of baking.

One of those not quite a comedy, not quite a thriller, with that slightly absurd, darkly wacky UK tone and characters. It gives some smiles, but it doesn't go far enough to be an actual dark comedy, while not tense enough to be a full thriller.

If you like that slightly odd sort of film, it's worth the 86 minute run time.

Pixar's newest movie Soul released on Disney+. It was good! Nowadays I judge movies based on how often I check the timer to see when it is going to wrap up. My attention span isn't what it used to be. But Soul flew by and was enjoyable. 

2 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Pixar's newest movie Soul released on Disney+. It was good! Nowadays I judge movies based on how often I check the timer to see when it is going to wrap up. My attention span isn't what it used to be. But Soul flew by and was enjoyable. 

Agreed. It was nowhere near their best, but it was definitely worth watching.

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

59 minutes ago, rjshae said:

We watched "The Midnight Sky" last night. It was... dreary, in a similar way to "The Road". The spacecraft was decently implemented.

That’s on the watchlist for tonight

Killing Gunther.

A group of young (and slightly crazy) assassin's team up to take out the Best Killer in the world and gain the glory, and to record the process they get a documentary crew to follow and film it all. It then turns into a slew of bungled encounters as they get killed one by one, with no-one actually knowing what Gunther actually looks like.

Then in the 67th minute you get the reveal that it's Arnold Schwarzenegger, a master of disguise who has been playing different people through the entire thing. He has about 15 minutes (maybe) of screen presence (and apparently got paid about 20% of the entire films budget), but somewhat entertaining in they give him a bunch of lines from Predator and such to re-use as another nod and wink to the audience.

It rolls along on that mish-mash of action-comedy-thriller (very loosely thriller) with everyone playing it very straight that its entirely silly.

The end credits even include Arnold singing country and western....

Also watched The Midnight Sky.  It was well acted, visually nice to look at, and ... that's about all I can say about it. I'd agree it's quite dreary, or perhaps too sterile - if you use The Road as an example, that film had more emotional weight/heft to it then this one, with better focus.

I watched Death Wish (the 1974 Charles Bronson version) for the first time in years today. It was better than I remembered it but misses a pretty big point: self defense and vigilantism are two different things. Not saying all his killings WERE justifiable as self defense because a couple of guys were shot in the back while fleeing and one got a second shot while down to make sure he was dead.  That isn't self defense. But aside from the fact that it took place in New York where it is illegal to even think about owning a firearm (more so in the 70's than now even) most of his shootings would have been justifiable. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

35 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I watched Death Wish (the 1974 Charles Bronson version) for the first time in years today. It was better than I remembered it but misses a pretty big point: self defense and vigilantism are two different things. Not saying all his killings WERE justifiable as self defense because a couple of guys were shot in the back while fleeing and one got a second shot while down to make sure he was dead.  That isn't self defense. But aside from the fact that it took place in New York where it is illegal to even think about owning a firearm (more so in the 70's than now even) most of his shootings would have been justifiable. 

Watch the 3rd one. You'll love it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Iirc in the book the vigilante claims comes from him setting up traps for criminal by using himself or his car as bait, then attacking the crooks that take the bait.

Been too long since I've seen the first film to remember how they handle it.

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

Midnight Sky played a little fast and loose with cold weather conditions in the arctic circle. 

There were more things wrong with it than right with it. Cold weather was definitely a lot to ask from the audience.

10 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I actually watched the Bruce Willis remake a couple of months back. Aggressive, some oddly placed moments of humour, but Willis still struggling to actually give a damn about acting.

5 minutes ago, Raithe said:

I actually watched the Bruce Willis remake a couple of months back. Aggressive, some oddly placed moments of humour, but Willis still struggling to actually give a damn about acting.

Ugh. That was an abortion of a movie. It actually made the sequels to the original Death Wish look good. And they were terrible. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell